Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:19 PM
SSinCT

Default Feedback on Oceania Please

Has anyone sailed? Do you like the ship? Strengths and weaknesses? My parents, who are not online, are considering a winter sailing, after I noticed the Mexican promotion running or possible another sailing. They are mid-70s and have sailed about 8 times before on larger ships like Norwegian Star, Princess, Holland America. They really loved the freestyle dining on the Star, so I think they would like the flex of Regatta. Any feedback weclome by August 29 so they can book the promo... thanks! Sharon
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Candice

Default Re: Feedback on Oceania Please

Hello SSinCT,

We loved Oceania. The only "weakness" was, IMHO, a lack of casual dining for dinner.
Sometimes, after a full day of touring, it would be nice just to be able to have a quick salad or a sandwich. Though room service is available 24 hours a day, it's not what we wanted, we would have preferred a casual "snack" with friends.

We were in the inaugural cruise and the dinner service was very slow, however, I've heard it's vastly improved since then.

No other negatives. It's a wonderful ship.

Candice
Old August 26th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Feedback on Oceania Please

I'm with you, I love to have a casual dinner, like a buffet, after a long day touring. Maybe we'll put a bee in Oceania's ear about this.

Old August 26th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Claudiafr

Book it ! They will love this ship. With only about 650 passsengers it is far nicer than the mega ships they have cruised ( and beautiful!)..
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Claudiafr

Agree! They removed the casual ( I suppose you mean shorts? type dining option) and added Tapas. They should have kept the buffet/ or have both. There is plenty of room up there to do that and would make evryone happy.
Old August 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Peter Levine

I would classify the dining dress as either casual (pants and golf type shirt for the guys) or dressy (for me, a nice country club type long-sleeved shirt). I never wore a sports jacket or suit (i didn't even bring one!) and it was fine. There were some people who dressed up and even a few who thought they were on a formal ship, but that is their choice.

My wife and I loved the ship and have booked a 8/10/04 trip from Stockholm to Dover, including St. Petersburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Amterdam, etc. I don't plan to have a sports jacket or suit for that cruise either.

Regards,

Peter

(Dr. Peter A. Levine)
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:48 AM
SSinCT

Thank you everyone for your favorable comments! I have told my parents and apparently the promotion was extended. They are not always the first to try something new - but I plan to encourage them to go! Sounds great! Enjoy cruises. Sharon
Old August 29th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Passenger

I was fortunate to be on Oceania for 6 weeks and LOVED every minute of it..I understand from clients I have on board now that the dining room service has improved greatly..An old fashioned ice cream cart will be aboard by the time you go Paul..I love ice cream..please tell us how you like it!!
Jan
cruzunlimited
Old August 29th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It sounds ridiculous, but I LOVE ice cream, too. Wow, that is great that they added that. That is my favorite thing about Holland America, the ice cream bar.

Old August 30th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Claudiafr

Ice cream bar? Shades of Crystal Cruises! ( A Joe Waters idea huh?) But, whoever thought it up.. a very yummy idea!
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:42 AM
Candice

Ice Cream cart??????

Okay, now I'm definitely going on another Oceania cruise. If they add a cappuccino cafe (a la HAL) I'll sign up for two more cruises!!! :-)

Candice
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:00 PM
Tim Rubacky

That's It! I"m NEVER sailing on any other cruise line now that an icea cream cart is aboard. <grin>

Tim Rubacky
Oceania Cruises
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Rich Wong

The ice cream cart was definitely a nice touch, with the three basic flavors (Choco, Straw, Vanilla), especially when we spent a fortune on our daily butterfat allowances on our last Princess Cruise. We'll never sail with them again. Joe Watters, you won our hearts. And stomachs.

Oceania also offered "zero-zero" ice cream, which turned out to mean zero fat, zero calories, or something like that. Toppings at the ice cream cart were limited to brown and red sauces from a squeeze bottle. I'm assuming they were chocolate and strawberry, but I didn't try them as I was on a diet. No whipped cream, cherries, or chopped nuts, so bring your own. Various sorbets were also available in all the dining rooms on the dessert menus.

Richard
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

They now have casual dining at night in the buffet area! The tapas is still here, too, but a nightly buffet has been added. This cruise line is really trying hard to please!

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Rich Wong

Thanks, Paul. Mario Piras, the excellent maitre'd in the Grand Dining Room, mentioned that possibility on our cruise - I guess they really do read those mid-cruise surveys!

I recall that Joe Watters and Tim Rubacky were going to be on your voyage - are any other Oceania executives aboard? At last check, Joe was going to be staying in an A category cabin - I guess for the sake of Oceania's bottom line, he's willing to give up an Owner's Suite to a fare-paying passenger. Now THAT'S commitment! :-)

Richard
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Not only that, but Tim is down in the porthole category of cabins, he was moved mid-cruise. The other shore-side exec on board this trip is Bob Binder, VP of marketing.