Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Default Anthens to Istanbul Nautica 5/5/07 guide/tour information

Hi everyone,
My husband and I will be sailing on the Oceania Nautica cruise 5/5/07 from Athens to Istanbul. It is a surprise for his 60th birthday so I am planning all the shore excursions. We will take some private excusions in Athens and Istanbul and some of the Greek Islands and some just walk on our own. We are experienced travelers and mostly travel independently but also love cruising. We prefer no ship tours and we like smaller groups so we go where we want to at our own set pace. Anyone had some great guides in the Greek Islands or in Athens and Istanbul? I want to get those reservations set. Also in both Athens and Istanbul and great sitesor restaurants that you remember that has to be on my must do list. I appreciate any info you can offer. Thanks

Fran
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Beginner

Just got back from a great cruise.
Below information might be helpful to you.

ISTANBUL: The dock is 4 miles from city center. You need a taxi or a tour. For touring we used a very reputable local tour operator called Shorex Turkey ( www.shorexturkey.co.nr ). They aranged us an extremely knowledgeable guide and a very polite driver. We had our own Mercedes Van for our party of 12 pax. For the 12 of us we paid $260 for a 8 hours tour. Which was the best tour we ever had.

KUSADASI: You will regret it as we did if you do not spend a couple of days here. We used Shorex Turkey here too. Guide was waiting for us at the port, ready to begin our day. I requested that we try to avoid the ship's buses, and they did everything possible to make sure this occurred! It was a pleasure to enjoy the same places that the ship offered at our own pace, staying as long or as short as We wanted for a fraction of the cost! The fact that we were "alone" made it much more personalized. Our guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. We will most definitely use them on future cruises and from comments made from our group, I can assure you they will also! Istanbul was so interesting! See as much as you can.

ATHENS: Used Petros Petrou and his Mercedes taxi reserved from his web site via e-mail http://www.infopelago.gr/petros-tours/. He did a good job getting through the Athens traffic and getting us to the places we wanted to see. He even got us to the top of Philopappou hill where we had a great view of the Acropolis before we toured it. He also bought us a Greek lunch where he usually eats.