Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Familiar Face

Default Big Brother watching me?

I wonder if Big Brother is watching my computer for expressing opinions on Cruisemates site?
I have a feeling my computer is being shadowed and I don't think it's a hacker: computer junkies who should be drawn and quartered.

Oh, oh there goes my compute.........

Note: I moved this thread because of my last post where I note that Google has really close ties to the current administration. So the concept of "Big Brother" watching you goes beyond Google, it goes to the Federal Government as well.
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Wait a sec..... I thought you are omnipotent!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Could the OP be talking about people other than CM people? I know if I talk about something, often I get ads for that product on the side of the post. At first it was creepy, but now it's fun.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As far as being watched - NO DOUBT Google does follow you no matter where you go.

If you go to a site and think about buying something but then back out of the shopping cart you are VERY likely to get an ad for that same item at aa discount within a day or two.

I went to a music store online and looked at five items. With a week I was seeing a banner ad showing the exact same five items I looked at under the stores logo.

It is un-freakin'-canny how much they know about what you do online. They know everything, and by "they" I mean Google.

And just so you know, Google has very close ties to the gov't so "big brother" watching is not too far off base.

Discuss...
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Paul,

It also works. I decided not to buy a bed spread, and it kept following me on every site. I finally went back and bought it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 25th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep:

Big Brother is watching. The Big Brother I'm referring to are the search engines. They are the friend of the web and websites but also somewhat of the enemy.

Whatever you post, on the open forums, can be accessed by search engines. Law enforcement, lawyers, credit companies and insurance companies use Social Media to gain information on people. Facebook is a very good example of this. Many a cheater has been busted by their wife's lawyer because of Facebook postings or message board flirting.

You need to remember that you are on a forum that is accessible to the public and what you say can be found. It's been that way since the start of the Internet and it's on almost all sites not just Cruisemates.

Laker's Fan: In regard to the "CM Hierarchy" being able to read your Private Messages: That is completely untrue. If a "moderator" was able to recite verbatim one of your PM's then someone sent it to them.

The ONLY way we can read a PM is to change your password, log in and read your stuff. We can't change it back to the old password because we have NO IDEA OR ABILITY to find out what the old password was. You would know someone was in their because suddenly your password was invalid. The system stores the password in encrypted format that no one, even the board developers, can decrypt.

Your ideas are completely off base.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; August 25th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

By the way - a company has just developed a camera that will scan pictures of you on the web and identify you name and demographics.

They are now selling the camera and software to stores so they can identify you when you walk in the door.

You know - all the people 10 years ago who used to tell me "I don't want too much stuff about me on the Internet" are now right, It has become a truly scary place.
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Admiral

I learned the hard way on how much is on the net. When Joe died I saw not only his stuff, but a direct link to us. One site said, The Russo's live ***** the address, would you like to pay to see their police record? Scary stuff.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008