Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Default Reince Priebus

What's your take on his latest announcement that the RNC wants to control which tv stations can cover the RNC debates and he wants conttol of who the moderators are and demanding that NBC/MSNBC not produce a Hillary documentary (does that mean that FOX can't produce one on her also)..is having all the RNC debates on FOX a smart move on his part

Crazy or crazy like a fox (pun intended)

Why would a state want to severly shorten the number of days for early voting (from 21 to 7) and abolish early voting on Sunday's?

Is requiring state issued ID's (which cost $$$$) to vote a form of "poll tax" that has been ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS

Why is a hunting permit ok for voter id, but a college student id is not?
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Why would a state want to severly shorten the number of days for early voting (from 21 to 7) and abolish early voting on Sunday's?

Is requiring state issued ID's (which cost $$$$) to vote a form of "poll tax" that has been ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS

Why is a hunting permit ok for voter id, but a college student id is not?
I guess this Louisiana. Minnesota has free IDs and a valid college ID is sufficient for same day registration. I guess we're just "radicals".

However, there was a Voter ID law on the ballot last November and it was defeated because people thought they would have to pay for the ID (false, if low income or a Senior) and that nursing home residents couldn't go to get the ID. That is also, partially false. Many counties social services transport nursing home residents to the local court house or licensing station to obtain the ID.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Admiral

Mike...Louisiana has not rushed to implement Voter registration laws that did not receive pre clearence approval from the DOJ in the aftermath of the SCOTUS decision, unlike our counterparts from Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Pennslyvania etc. The reason is LA is a solid "red" state and gerrymanded, so it doesn't have to surpress minority turnout...
I did extensive online research of the states who "rushed" to reintroduce the legislation (Texas within 4 hours) and the issue of voter id is just the surface of why the district federal courts did not grant pre clearence...fyi, very quietly, states are now admitting that there have been very few if any proven documented cases of voter fraud (in one case it was a White person who was prosecuted)

Most Americans just want a level playing field which allows democracy to work at it's best. When one major political party tries to stack the deck in it's favor, the American public has a. way of providing a check and balance to level the playing field..the challenge that exist today is the demographics of who turns out to vote is changing and in a democracy a political party should appeal for their vote, not attempt to surpress

Mr Priiebus and the RNC with the support of recent SCOTUS decisions (Citizen's United, Voting Rights Enforcement clause) are not being suttle about their party's intention. My sense is they feel that in the 2016 election, the % of voters who voted for POTUS Obama will fall off significantly (disinterest) and by appealing to their base, the 5M+ while males who did not vote will return to the polls thus recapturing the WH

It is my prayer, that the "usual suspects" of characters who represent the extremes of both political parties will not make it thru the primaries and we have candidates that are moderates which would appeal to an overwhelming majority of voters which will end this bitter bipartisianship.

I must confess, I enjoyed the 2012 election process which in a sense was America's political will at it's best. If I were Previus, I too, would try to do everything in my power (fair or not) to prevent a repeat of that sideshow. His counterpart at the DNC must be thinking the same thing.. Karl Rove's election night meltdown on FOX (which I recorded for my grandson so he understands why his vote is important) should serve as a preview as to how the RNC suppression campaign was suppose to work in Ohio. The sad part is that in many ways it reminded me of the DNC in the South of the 50's-70's

2014 & 2016 elections will be very interesting to say tye least
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You have many subjects going here, so let's break it down.

It is not hard for even the dumbest person to figure out that two movies coming out about Hillary, just before the next election is not a surprise, nor is the intent.

RNC has in the past had a voice in who does the debates. What's his name has to do everything to promote the Reps. That is his job.

It is very hard to cheat during the elections, if you have to show an ID, and your name is marked off, as you vote.

Texas also provides free ID's and does everything they can to give everyone a chance.

Texas does not walk hand and hand with other states. Our officials do what is best for our state, or they are quickly shown the door.

I have asked on here and other places what the big deal is about people not being able to get to some place for a free ID. I don't understand how they can vote, if they can't get to a place for free ID.

Of course we are not allowed to vote 5 times, and then get on national news to brag about it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Admiral

In Chicago, they go on tv to brag about voting 10X from the grave...

Voter ID is only a small part of the issue...Texas redistricting plans due to an increase in population of both Hispanic and African voters and a steep decline in White voters resulted in 4 additional congressional seats...The Republican majority legislature and Gov did this without input from Democratics or any minorities and then severly limited debate before passing...Two federal appeals courts ruled against it calling it the most blatent form of racial gerrymandering discrimination they have ever encountered...as a matter of fact, 3 districts that elected a non White representative to Congress due to the diversity of population were eliminated and replace with a district where the majority of the voting base were White and Republican (just by moving some lines)..we are not even going to talk about moving polling locations so far away from homes to make it a hardship to vote..

Texas is on the front lines of many issues..voter surpressions should not be one them...Rance "what's his name" does not want to go do the slippery slope of trying to dictate the format..input yes, dictate no...by all means RNC & FOX can do a movie about Gov Perry just before the election cycle, I'm sure CNN & MSNBC won't try to stop it before they start filming

We can revist this thread after the 2014 elections which will be the perfect litmus test to measure the impact of these changes
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Prior to 2007, the voting process seemed to work fine, voter ID or voter fraud was never mentioned and the DOJ pre clearance requirement seem to keep everything in check for the states who had exhibited bad past practices

What changed in 2007?
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Admiral

But what difference does it make to you, and anyone not in Texas?

They are always talking about this redistricting, but as long as everyone gets to vote, that's all I care about. It doesn't matter what party represents my district as long as they do what the majority wants.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Admiral

What difference.??.....George Bush (43)& Rick Perry
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Admiral

and....... what about it? They were Texas governors, and one went on to be president. Not your states problem, except that they got national votes.

I remember a time when your mayor, and governor sat back and let hundreds of your people suffer and die, because of a terrible storm. Rick Perry opened his arms for those who needed a new home, and went to bat for them to get help.

George W did what he thought he could do, for the American people. It was not always the best thing, but where he fails in speaking ability, he makes up with having a warm heart. I know that you have always blamed him for Katrina, but he did what he could, in a situation that was much worse than just a storm.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Loving heart!!! Wow...have a great day, my friend
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Sorry Venice. I would love to be able to say what you want me to say, but looking back on what went wrong, doesn't help us realize what is wrong now. I know that it was good for the Obama campaign to blame all on Bush, but those days are gone.

Getting back to Texas. The politics here are our problem, or our benefit. If and when another state is perfect, I encourage them to complain about the neighboring state, but until then, there is much to do in your own.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Reince Priebus is an idiot for many reasons; this is just one of them.

Fact: Sure, the Republicans can stop reporters from whatever outlets they want from participating in the debates they sanction. But they cannot stop those outlets from carrying the debates. Big difference. They are legitimate news (at least in the pure journalistic context), and will be available to all.

Fact: The toughest and most embarrassing questions asked during the 2012 primaries did not come from CNN and MSNBC. They came from Fox and some other reporters. These included the somewhat innocuous question to the brilliant Mr. Perry about which cabinet departments he would shut down, and the famous 90/10 question in which every single candidate said they would not accept a deal that traded 90 cents in spending cuts for 10 cents in tax increases.

Fact: There is no law preventing CNN, MSNBC and anybody else from sponsoring their own debate outside the aegis of the Republican Party. The probable outcome would be that the "fringe" candidates would accept the invitations. Then at the last minute, the frontrunners, fearful of not being part of the game, will come along. But even if that doesn't happen, it really doesn't matter. These things aren't debates anyway, and anybody who's ever seen or participated in a real debate knows it. They are simply recitations of canned mini-screeds that are spewed no matter what questions are asked. The only news that's ever made is on the downside, when somebody like Perry screws up and disqualifies himself. Why, in any event, should any political party be in control of a political "news" confab?

With luck the Democrats will settle on a single candidate early, then sit back and watch the Republican circular firing squad blow themselves to oblivion like they did last year, with misstep after misstep. This is even more likely to happen next time, as the Republican party continues to fracture and pit its factions against each other.
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
First Mate

Going back to the original questions -

I don't think anyone can really be surprised that the RNC would be annoyed by major TV networks touting any prominent Democratic candidate shortly before the election. I doubt they will continue to make much of a fuss about it, though, because politically ANY name mention is considered good publicity.

The only justifications for offering early voting are having a portion of the population who cannot get to the polls on election day and who for unknown reasons refuse to utilize a mail ballot; and an election infrastructure that does not provide sufficient polling machines or check-in personnel to assure people of being able to vote without waiting in line for an unreasonable amount of time. Still, no one should need 21 days of early voting. The problem with that length of time is that on occasion a last debate or other news that changed voters' opinions has occurred days after voting commenced.

As for ID - I am not familiar with any state that has attempted to institute required ID that also did not provide the opportunity for free ones. Hunting licenses normally come in distinct "resident" and "non-resident" types, while college IDs normally do not include indication of state of residence.

I live in a small state with a couple of very large universities that attract students from all over the country and world. If they are only here to get their education, they should vote at home by mail ballot, not here. Their votes influence not only who gets our very modest number of electoral college votes; exit interviews show that they also vote in the gubernatorial and local races, even when they cannot name the candidates they just cast votes for.