Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default The sequester is dangerous to our health

I've pretty much sworn off this board, but I wanted to come back briefly to point out a column by the conservative columnist George Will.

It's about the harm the sequester is doing to basic science and medical research, and it quotes the head of NIH, Dr. Francis Collins, extensively.

Francis is a friend of ours, has been for years. I say that not to drop names (even though he is a world-renowned scientist), but to testify that the things he said to George Will are the same things he's been saying ever since the sequester.

This nation is blessed and honored to have Francis at the helm of NIH. To waste an instant of his tenure due to lack of funding from "across the board" budget cuts while corrupt agriculture subsidies go forward unabated is literally a crime against all of us.

To see why, read Will's column.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-the-sequester--a-public-health-hazard/2013/08/16/4bb96982-05ca-11e3-9259-e2aafe5a5f84_story.html
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing..interesting perspective...combine this with the severe cutbacks with HeadStart...and we seem to be biting off our nose to spite our face
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:50 AM
Captain

I did not see where the sequester is hurting them, no specific reference. It has probably hit them like it has hit civilian employees at military bases with furloughs and weekly hours being cut back.

I guess the sad part is that our Congressmen and Senators could not reach a agreement for spending cuts to cut programs that really need cut, like Agriculture subsidies, Foreign Aide and other programs that wouldn't hurt the country as much. I don't see this as a Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative issue as much as many would like it to be made out that way, but rather a issue of common sense! Some of these cut's should of been no brainers!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
I did not see where the sequester is hurting them, no specific reference.
Well, since you say you never see a doctor, none of what they are trying to accomplish would ever matter to you anyway.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Admiral

also dangerous to our pockets. When there are cutbacks like this, it will cost even more money to get back to where we were. Pay me now or pay me more later.