Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Can Secretary of State Kerry be trusted to tell the truth?

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday told members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee that “bad guys” – Islamic extremists – constitute “maybe 15 to 25 percent” of the opposition forces.

Several lawmakers questioned Kerry’s assertion and a senior military official told NBC News that actual percentage is “way higher than that.” Defense officials estimate that al Qaeda and related extremists groups now constitute “more than 50 percent” of the rebel force, which is made up of at least 70 different factions, “and it’s growing by the day,” according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity

Maybe Obama will throw Kerry under the truck when Americans find out the truth about these socalled Syrian "good guys."
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Captain

If a politicians lips are moving they are lying.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I like to think good thoughts about everyone, but when Mr. Kerry was speaking the other day, I caught him in a lie, that anyone who has read the resolution would pick up on. When no one asked him about it, then I knew I was witnessing a dog and pony show. Really is sad, because it deals with humans, who will do the will of the people.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Admiral

The rebel numbers issue is a slippery thing, and a lot depends on how you do the counting. Apparently something like a quarter of the rebels are established members of reasonably organized groups like Al Qaeda (god help us).

But then there is another component identified as MWRs. . .Men With Rifles. These are rebels who have no sworn allegiances, either formal or informal, no leadership that anyone can discern, and no command and control structure.

How do you classify this segment? I sure don't know. Are they to be lumped in with "Islamic extremists?" Maybe. At best, they're "loose cannons," or "loose MWRs," and I certainly question the wisdom of giving them additional support.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The rebel forces, taken as a whole, are clearly unreliable as fighters or as friends, with goals and objectives that are hazy and uncoordinated. They are the violent equivalent of Occupy Wall Street. They may have a worthy instinct or two, but there is no evidence that they know exactly what they want or how to get it.

Overlay that with the fact that we're talking about something that is, in relative terms, a primitive societal structure, centuries behind the kinds of thought processes that we take for granted.

The conclusion, with great moral pain, is that we must stand down. Even if it is possible to perform surgical strikes on weapons systems, recent history tells us that mission creep is virtually inevitable. And it would all be in violation of international law.

As for the rest of the world being disappointed in us, as proponents of violence insist will happen if we don't shoot, my response is simple: "Where were you guys?"

And then there's the matter of money. Bush put war on our national AMEX card, and we'll be paying it off for decades. We're out of cash for wars of choice. And when I hear that the Saudis have offered to pay the bill, I ask, "Is that what our 'great' nation has come to? Paid mercenaries?"

We must simply say no until and unless the UN agrees on a worldwide plan, which is extraordinarily unlikely.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I agree with what you say except for the comment about Bush. I look at what he did as a prevention of another 9/11.

Let me add to what you said. We have just finished our first sequester. The next one starts Jan. 1st. There are many who have lost jobs here, and it is estimated that we will lose another 10,000 by next year. The VA is so backed up, just to be seen is an 8 month wait. Every week we have either soldier on soldier violence, or suicides. Our military insurance has gone up twice this summer

If the Gov. is shut down, there won't be any work for anyone.

My question is where will this war money be coming from?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I agree with what you say except for the comment about Bush. I look at what he did as a prevention of another 9/11.
What he did was attack a country that did not attack us on 9/11 or at any other time, on the grounds that they had weapons of mass destruction, which it turned out they did not. And from this undisputed information you conclude that his actions prevented another 9/11? I'd love to see you connect those dots in any way that makes any rational sense at all. Even Bush's most ardent supporters simply say that he acted on the best info he had, and that it wasn't his fault that it was bogus. Until now, I've never heard anybody argue that what he did in Iraq had any positive net effect for our country. And by the way, all I said was that he fought both wars off-budget, or in other words, on credit. Again, this is undisputed.

Quote:
Let me add to what you said. We have just finished our first sequester. The next one starts Jan. 1st. There are many who have lost jobs here, and it is estimated that we will lose another 10,000 by next year. The VA is so backed up, just to be seen is an 8 month wait. Every week we have either soldier on soldier violence, or suicides. Our military insurance has gone up twice this summer.

If the Gov. is shut down, there won't be any work for anyone.

My question is where will this war money be coming from?
Pleased to hear that you'd prefer to have Congress do its job re budgeting than to perpetuate sequesters and threaten government shutdowns. I couldn't agree more.

Where will future war money come from? That's easy. From education, from health care (civilian and military), from entitlements and, yes, even from the military that we tell to go to war. Where it will not come from is increased taxes, because Grover Norquist still says we can't do that. And all of your representatives have signed on with Grover, so that's that.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Admiral

AR Do you believe that increased Taxes will help our economy? Won't we stop spending, so that means less jobs?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
AR Do you believe that increased Taxes will help our economy? Won't we stop spending, so that means less jobs?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: even in retirement I should be paying far more in taxes than I do. If you are as poor as you say you are, you should probably not be paying more, and maybe should be paying even less. Maybe, like so many millions of Americans, you should be paying nothing. I don't know, maybe you should even be on food stamps--if they're still available. Although if you get PX privileges, that's just another way of saying food stamps.

You may think it's contradictory when I also say that I have a CPA who sees to it that I don't pay a penny more in taxes than I should, but that I pay every penny I owe. Why don't I, as Donald Trump and Chris Christie suggest, write a supplementary check to the government to support my belief that I pay too little? Simple. I'm not a sap, and I didn't get where I am by being a sap financially. When everybody else in my position pays more, I'll be happy to do the same without complaint.

And no, if the rich are taxed more and the poor are taxed little or nothing as the president has suggested all along, we won't stop spending and we won't hurt job growth. Just the opposite.

As a nation we do not collect enough in tax to meet our needs. The evidence is everywhere, from failing schools to failing infrastructure to failing science and health research, and so much more. Yes, Luanne, we need to collect more and we need to spend more. . .a hell of a lot more. At the same time we need to cut outrageous and immoral subsidies to big oil, big farms and so many other excesses that suck us dry, including the overwhelming amount of waste, fraud and abuse in the military industrial complex.

Compared to the rest of the developed world, our taxes are quite low. And, for sure, we'll not create all the jobs we want to create by continuing to sequester, shut down, close our eyes and hold our breath until we turn blue. On the current track, the rich will get much richer, the poor will get poorer and the middle class will continue to erode. Ironically, what's left of the middle class will continue to support the tea party and other hard line conservatives whose leaders are experts at passing out the pork and laughing all the way to the bank.
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Admiral

Have we ever found the WMDs from the last wag the dog wars?
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
If a politicians lips are moving they are lying.
They have to lie because the average person can't handle the truth.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Captain

Default Kerry's loose tongue guarantees under truck treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnipotent View Post
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday told members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee that “bad guys” – Islamic extremists – constitute “maybe 15 to 25 percent” of the opposition forces.

Several lawmakers questioned Kerry’s assertion and a senior military official told NBC News that actual percentage is “way higher than that.” Defense officials estimate that al Qaeda and related extremists groups now constitute “more than 50 percent” of the rebel force, which is made up of at least 70 different factions, “and it’s growing by the day,” according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity

Maybe Obama will throw Kerry under the truck when Americans find out the truth about these socalled Syrian "good guys."
Kerry has sunk Obama's bombing plans. His off the cuff comment has guaranteed an under the truck position when Obama makes another administration cleaning and no place for Kerry in the Clinton's administration.
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Go Hillary!
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Captain

Default "Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into:" Obama to Kerry

The Laurel and Hardy Presidency goes on. Kerry is the Mr. Obama's new straight man. Kerry replaces Biden.
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
The Laurel and Hardy Presidency goes on. Kerry is the Mr. Obama's new straight man. Kerry replaces Biden.
Now THAT'S incisive, thoughtful analysis.