Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Healthcare.gov

I have been trying to get in for two days. I signed up, but when I tried to log in it says my username or password are wrong.

So, I have tried asking to change each of them. it is supposed to send me an email. No email arrives.

This is how the site looked just now when I tried again:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg healthcare-gov.jpg (84.2 KB, 46 views)

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

And? it's been well reported that there are bugs that are being worked on, probably by people that aren't getting paid right now. Give it time
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You know - the thing is that I am a webmaster. There is no excuse for not creating a national government web site that cannot handle 7 million visitors in a day. That is nothing in terms of traffic.

(That was the number Obama gave, I heard an official say it was only 2.8 million visitors) - how many visits do you think Google gets a day, 700-million?

Also - they had plenty of time to test it (two years) - if it is a matter of traffic handling it is nothing $1000 couldn't fix - add another server. This is not rocket science.

THE RUBBER IS MEETING THE ROAD this week. This will be the week that people realize how good (or bad) Obamacare really is. The fact that I can't even log in to get a quote is a really bad sign to me. It shows that no one is really controlling this this thing - it is all 'fly by the seat of your pants" stuff so far. But we will see.

This will make or break Obama - and we will see by the end of the week.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Text of my live chat:

[4:13:28 pm]: Thanks for contacting Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. Please wait while we connect you to someone who can help.
[4:13:31 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:14:03 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:14:32 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:15:03 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:15:35 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:16:06 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:16:37 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:17:07 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:17:38 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:18:09 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:18:40 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:19:11 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:19:41 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:20:13 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:20:43 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:21:15 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:21:45 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:22:16 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:22:48 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:23:16 pm]: Welcome! You're now connected to Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat.

Thanks for contacting us. My name is Brenda. To protect your privacy, please don't provide any personal information, like Social Security Number, or any other sensitive medical or personal information.
[4:23:27 pm]: Brenda
Hello and thank you, how may I help you?
[4:23:27 pm]: CALLER
my login does not work, can't fix it **********@gmail.com - I have asked for emails to fix these, but no email ever arrives
[4:23:58 pm]: CALLER
I don't know if it is my username or password, because no email arrives
[4:25:46 pm]: Brenda
Thanks for your interest in the Health Insurance Marketplace. We have a lot of visitors trying to use our website right now. That is causing some glitches for some people trying to create accounts or log in. Keep trying, and thanks for your patience. You might have better success during off-peak hours, like later at night or early in the morning. We'll continue working to improve the site so you can get covered!
[4:26:20 pm]: CALLER
This is a script, not a real person.
[4:26:52 pm]: Brenda
I am real person.
[4:26:57 pm]: Brenda
Do you have any other questions that I can help you with?
[4:27:30 pm]: CALLER
okay - you proved it, but listen, why can't you help me? If the login does not work then trying aqain later won't fix that
[4:28:14 pm]: CALLER
if it worked, I would be logged in - it said something was incorrect, but I wrote them down
[4:29:29 pm]: Brenda
I understand, but at this time we will need to ask that you continue to try. There are many people having this issue, this is being worked on.
[4:29:41 pm]: CALLER
ok
[4:30:07 pm]: Brenda
Do you have any other questions that I can help you with?
[4:32:48 pm]: Your chat session is over. Thanks for contacting us, and we hope we've answered your questions. Have a great day.
[4:32:48 pm]: 10/3/2013

Okay - so, the login doesn't even work. That is not a "glitch" caused by traffic, that is bad programming. If I was the project manager that would have been fixed before the site went online. Plus I gave her my email - she doesn't have a database to verify my username? She can't push me an email?

That is basic web tech support - not rocket science - What is the point of having a live chat if they can't help?

Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
You know - the thing is that I am a webmaster. There is no excuse for not creating a national government web site that cannot handle 7 million visitors in a day. That is nothing in terms of traffic.

(That was the number Obama gave, I heard an official say it was only 2.8 million visitors) - how many visits do you think Google gets a day, 700-million?

Also - they had plenty of time to test it (two years) - if it is a matter of traffic handling it is nothing $1000 couldn't fix - add another server. This is not rocket science.

THE RUBBER IS MEETING THE ROAD this week. This will be the week that people realize how good (or bad) Obamacare really is. The fact that I can't even log in to get a quote is a really bad sign to me. It shows that no one is really controlling this this thing - it is all 'fly by the seat of your pants" stuff so far. But we will see.

This will make or break Obama - and we will see by the end of the week.
It's pretty much how Cruisemates looks for me at work since your "upgrade" useless
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

So - that is off-topic and a personal insult - and i had nothing to do with the upgrade so I won't comment.

I just waited two hours for the web site to get me registered (I deleted my cookies and started over) and it finally gave a chance to "shop for healthcare" so I hit "go" and here is what I got...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg healthcare-gov2.jpg (87.5 KB, 49 views)

Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

And here is the part you obviously don't get....

I WANT A NEW POLICY - so I am hoping this is a success. But like I said this is where the rubber meets the road.

We will see what new premiums look like... We are finally going to see Obamacare - no more smokescreens, no more rumors, innuendos,.... the real deal.

So, that is all I have to say. Either it was a good law or it wasn't. If it wasn't then the democrats blew it by pushing this law through without reading the bill.

I honestly have no idea why the democrats are so optimistic about this. I personally do not know how this is going to reduce health care costs when there is nothing in the law that makes it work.

Remember all the things we recommended? like nationwide enrollment (no state borders), tax discounts or subsidies for everyone (not just people under the poverty rate)? All the things that could have been baked into the law that are not?

But we will see how it goes - and if you think I am not hoping for the best you are wrong.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

??? Ha? How is Cruisemates not working for me a personal insult?
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Logically - because i mentioned that I am a programmer and I work here, but its OK, I ignored it.

Now - I suggest people watch this video from (non-biased) CNBC:

Lower premiums, higher deductibles - CNBC

Old October 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Well, Paul's right about one thing: it is a crying shame that the system is such a patchwork of separate exchanges, and worse, the poorest of the poor who won't qualify. See this NYT editorial:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/op...d.html?hp&_r=0

This problem, if course is due first to the Supreme Court's saying that state participation via exchanges and expansion of Medicare (at federal expense) wasn't mandatory, thereby allowing states to opt out of that, and ensuring inferior coverage (if any at all) for the poorest of the poor in the most impoverished red states. A travesty.

But of course, that's not how the original law was supposed to work. Many of us still feel that a single payer system is the right approach, and would certainly avoided a lot of the administrative jumble that we now face.

And I know a lot of IT pros who don't agree with you that the solution to the short-term startup overload is as simple as you think. But in any case, as has been pointed out, it's tough to get the best and the brightest to put their minds to it without paying them.

But take heart, Paul. Your new policy won't take effect until January 1, whether you get it set up tomorrow, next month or the month after that. It'll be the same policy with the same start date.

So maybe it'd be wise to just wait a couple weeks for the dust to settle, maybe for the government to go back to work, you know, things like that.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I keep telling myself it will be OK, but AR, I still can't get in. Really, with something a important as this - there is no excuse for having a website that doesn't work. I could have fixed this by now.

I have kept the window open to get to a log in page four times now, I can log in (this last time just took 4 attempts, where I persisted despite errors) but now I am just getting the message "downstream error".

Also - assuming at least some people have gotten in - should there be some public reporting on what the premium looks like? There has been none - that tells me the system is not working at all, and that tell me it never will work as advertised, because no one is really in charge of it. Where is Sebelius now (she is still the head. right?). Why isn't she doing news conferences and giving us solid figures?

I just read this - the cost NOT to be insured under the new law - and tell me (honestly) if you already knew how much it goes up in 2016?

Can I opt-out?

Yep, but it will cost you—and more so over time. People who don't get insurance in 2014 will owe the government a penalty of $95 per individual, $285 per family, or 1 percent of family income, whichever is higher. By 2016, those penalties leap to $695 per person, $2,085 per family, or 2.5 percent of family income.

8 things to know about Obamacare (that you were too afraid to ask)

Did anyone here have ANY idea it will be so expensive to go without insurance in this country? With prices like $2085 of family income,

Old October 5th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Captain

Paul wrote "You know - the thing is that I am a webmaster. There is no excuse for not creating a national government web site that cannot handle 7 million visitors in a day. That is nothing in terms of traffic. "

Maybe they should of used the NSA computers for this instead of spying on hard working Americans!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have heard it has been a bit messed up, but maybe if people wait, it will be worked out, and then see if the whole thing will work.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 5th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

So - In light of full disclosure I have what could be good news for democrats.

I contacted a health insurance broker who told me she can get me a new plan and that I will indeed save money - and it is a better plan. Thank you young people!!!

She knew how to go directly to Blue Cross (bypassing Healthcare.gov) and looked at the new plans they are offering and I signed up and paid for a new plan that I really want.

Now the problem - we cannot get confirmation that I have been accepted for the new plan. Have not heard a word from BCBS. So, in other words it is not just Healthcare.gov that is messed up - it appears the healthcare companies may be playing a role in slowing this whole process down.

Here is my fear - my broker told me that about five in six people will have their premiums go up under Obamacare (and she has seen the new rates - something the mainstream media is not covering at all which is VERY STRANGE considering the new law has already taken effect and these plans were supposed to be available on Monday).

So my fear is that this will never materialize. That the insurance companies will see they are going to lose too much money with the new law, and the rates for everyone will go up. And Obama will just say "that's what we had to do to make it work" - and in the end, it was just a big, expensive boondoggle that helped no one.

That is my fear -I hope I am wrong.

Old October 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Old October 5th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AR...

Quote:
And I know a lot of IT pros who don't agree with you that the solution to the short-term startup overload is as simple as you think. But in any case, as has been pointed out, it's tough to get the best and the brightest to put their minds to it without paying them.
So pay them.

You know, I grew CruiseMates (this humble little website) to the point where it was getting a million unique visitors/month and I have been through the process of upgrading servers to handle more traffic a few times now. Once you decide to do, the process only takes a couple of hours and minimal expense (less than what I alone pay for one monthly health care premium).

Be real. Don't you think that in a case as high-profile as this one that if they wanted to fix the problems with this web site that they would do it? I KNOW for a fact they could have it fixed in an hour if they wanted to do it.

There is no doubt that traffic will clog a web site - BUT building a web site to handle that kind of traffic is done every freaking day all over the world. Why would Obama - on a rollout as important as this one allow his most prized accomplishment to be hampered by something as ridiculous as a faulty web site? The world is watching (and he is "surprised" really?)

Remember, Romney lost the election largely because his web site didn't work. It was one of his biggest embarrassments, (but he didn't have a day to fix it) I don't think that should have happened. But in this case do you really think Obama is surprised that as many a 7-million Americans want to check and see what their new rates will be? Really? Surprised at the interest in the main reason why he was elected, health care reform? If he is surprised at the response he is just plain stupid. Sorry, but I have no better word for it.

You know - Obama is in regular contact with people like Eric Schmidt (CEO of Google, inventor of Java) - if he wanted that web site fixed it would have been done last Monday night.

There is more to this - it is not just the web site. Mark my words, we are going to find the "glitches" have more to do with a slowdown at the health insurance companies, and that right now Obama is trying to buy time to work something out with them.

This will not be solved on this coming Monday and here is why; When it is solved the world will see the new rates. And once that happens the "promise" that was Obamacare goes out the window. This "glitch" is a way to buy time while Obama (who canceled his Asia trip) is hunkered down in his office trying to figure out what he is going to say to the American people when all the lies about Obamacare come out.

1. That you can keep your plan if you like it
2. That you will save money
3. That enough young people will sign up to lower the premiums for older folks with pre-conditions

Obama is already trying to come up with new ideas to save our healthcare system, because his previous method of "I'll just sit here and be the face and let other people figure it our for me" isn't working this time.

He is currently trying to figure out how to implement cross-state selling, tort reform, etc. He would have liked to have that "single payer" system in place - but it is too late for that now. It could happen eventually, but now it is going to be obvious that was the plan all along - and that will not sit well with the insurance companies.

And here is the final irony - he is going to find out that he needs to go to the Republicans to ask for MORE MONEY to pay for the health care he promised all the Americans that Obamacare alone can not cover. Ironically, working bilaterally is what republicans were telling him he should have done in the first place - but no, he had to just push the bill through.

Obama just managed to break our already ailing healthcare system. We had a chance to fix it, but instead it was "my way or the highway" so he put the final nail in the coffin.

This is going to get very interesting.

Old October 5th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Old October 5th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Admiral

I know of two who will enroll.
Old October 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

According to the governments own figures the costs to the taxpayers to create healthcare.gov are more than 6 times over budget at $634.3M!
That pretty well sums up where Obamacare is headed!

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am finally getting individual quotes from independent health care brokers here in AZ. So, in that sense the ACA appears to be working.

But yeah - the oNLY thing that web site was designed to do was to hand a person off to the states own web site with its own list of plans on offer.

That is like a basic $100,000 at most - if yuo include all of the "data-gathering" which is only there so the Federal government can get all the info they want from you.

By the way - I managed to get fully enrolled at Healthcare.gov - to the point where it said I was then ready to go to the state-offered plans (it broke down at that part, but I would assume that is the responsibility of AZ).

There comes a point at Healthcare.gov where you are "asked" to give the Feds persimmsion to access you IRS records for five years to see "what kind if coverage you qualify for..."

I already knew I do not qualify for a subsidy - so I opted NOT to give them permission to do that. Guess what - the site absolutely crashed when I said "no" - first I got a warning that failure to give information could affect my rates in the future, When I said "no" again it crashed. Wishing to go forward I hit the back button and tried again, it crashed again.

When I repeated and gave them permission to access my IRS records - only then could I go forward.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING - and don't think it isn't true.

Old October 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

$634 to build that web site is just so ridiculous. It really does now that government cannot manage costs better than the private sector.

Doctors (who will have to deal with Government every day from now on) are all really depressed about what they see so far.

Most surgeons in practice are now aged 55+ - and very few people are going into the Medical field now. Long waits and denials of service are right around the corner - either that or rates go up to what they would have been without this law.

Old October 10th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Paul, I have never been a part of the black helicopter group, but with what I have heard in the last couple of days is scary.

I listened to the hearings yesterday. No commentary, just a woman who is in charge, testifying.

She admitted two things that I think are worth mentioning. One was yes, if you go to the site, and put in your data, you are in the system. She said that even if you decide not to go with the exchanges, you will indeed get an e-mail, strongly reminding you that if you don't sign up, you will have to pay.

She also said there will not be anymore self insuring, which is a person so rich, they are able to pay for their health care.

Also, The hospitals and doctors have been given a 2014 deadline to put everyone's medical data in the computer system, or they will be fined.

She also said that your credit score will play a roll. The lower the score, they more you will pay.

My question is are the American people aware of what they are getting into?

What happens if you are to sick? To old? To expensive.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Admiral

So many alarmists, so many lies, so little time.

For once the people who can't afford insurance will be able to obtain. There still are no death squads.

It remains the same old story - the haves trying to keep the have nots down.

If Obamacare was so destined to fail, why are the extremists in Congress so scared? Fund it and let it fail. But no - they know it is historic legislation and they will correctly be identified as the unAmericans that they are. Please, no drama pretending to be concerned about America and Americans. We see through that charade.
Old October 11th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I tend to agree with you. So much misinformation. I worry that if it is not stopped, or at least given enough time to see if it will work, it will be all but impossible to stop it later.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Long ago it was impossible to stop. To keep trying to is the definition of insanity. When the GOP was in charge they could have addressed the problem (and it is a HUGE problem), but chose to do what they do best - NOTHING.

They can't even get consensus within their own party much less a bipartisan agreement.