Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Phyllis K

Default Lounge chair survey

I am curious about the opinions of cruisers here. Saving lounge chairs around the pool, deck, etc. is a huge problem on the ships I have cruised. People save their chairs by leaving towels or other personal belongings on them, sometimes for several hours without using the chairs.

If you noticed a chair that had been saved for an hour without being used, would you:

a. find another chair (there are none)

b. inform a member of the cruise staff

c. throw the belongings overboard

d. glue the belongings to the chair

e. leave a nasty note
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Mark D.

Default Re: Lounge chair survey

We are booked on the Grand for 4/01/01 and I have heard that this has been a problem.
I would take the belongings and turn it in at the bar as found then deny that the chairs were anyone other then mine if and when somebody actually shows up.
I know that this can be a sore subject but if there are signs and someone left stuff on a chair in the morning and doesnt use the chair for over an hour then they are very inconsiderate and should loose thier chair/s.

Hope I didnt offend anyone.
Old March 7th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Carole Dunham

I would turn the towel in, sit down in the chair and tell whoever showed up (if they ever did), that what they did was a violation and they could complain to whomever they wanted but I had the chair and possession is 9 points of the law. (and some other things that are not appropriate for a family oriented website!)

Carole
Old March 7th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Mark D.

You go Carole!!!
I couldnt agree more!
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Carole,
I totally agree with that, I'd do the same if I really wanted that chair and there were no others in sight.

Donnassei
Old March 8th, 2001, 03:04 AM
Steve S

Even though I agree with the others, I would not let the ignorance and the inconsiderate ruin a cruise because they are not thoughtful of other passengers. Just let it roll off and
enjoy the cruise.

But if you feel compelled to get even, watch the chairs and see who returns. At this point walk up to the individual with stomach pushed out, tongue hanging from the mouth, slur
your words and say "I hope the open sores I have did not get on your chair when I used it earlier".
Old March 8th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jill

Steve, I love this approach. The problem is, who wants to sit around monitoring chairs when they're on vacation? Find one somewhere else and have another pina colada.
Old March 8th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Just had this problem on the Grand, but we didn't want to spoil the day by getting nasty. As I think about it now, the next time, I'd ask someone on the cruise staff to remove the orphaned belongings and I'd take ownership of the chair !! Possession is 9 tenths of the law. Princess does try to reinforce the "rule" by posting notices in their daily rag, but it does no good....THEY should reinforce the rule, but they don't. The way we resolved it was to go to the adult pool (aft), since there were usually some chairs available there.
Old March 8th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Babette

I observe for 30 minutes. If nobody shows up, I pick everything up and hand it to a crew member and tell them to take it to Lost & Found.
Old March 9th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie

I would not say anything because it would just start trouble. Most people don't save rows of seats. They save one for their partner for some reason. My husband noted that all lounge chairs went between the hours of 9 - 10:00 AM, so if I really wanted a lounge chair I'd get up early and get one myself.

Another thing I noticed when sailing the grand last week was that the chairs open up again around 1-2:00 PM. People start to think about doing other things.

Unfortunately, people don't take to grabbing other peopels' towels too lightly. I would think your solution would only upset those next to you. I would not want to sit next to an upset person.
Old March 10th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

I agree with those who vote to take positive action one way or another -- either by turning in the belongings at the bar or by asking a member of the staff to do so.

Let's not forget the one additional step of making a comment about the unenforced rules on our cruise evaluations. There are several areas where a consistent failure to enforce rules is getting to be a problem aboard Princess's ships. The unenforced dress codes in the dining room and evening entertainment venues is another example, and I know that it's annoying to many passengers who choose to cruise partly because they enjoy the class and the ritual of formal evenings aboard ship. I expect to comply with the rules -- which are neither numerous nor burdensome -- when I'm on a cruise, but I also expect other passengers to do so and I expect the ship's staff to take corrective action when they see violations. Most people will comply if a member of the staff tells them politely that something is not permitted.

If the staff does not enforce rules consistently and uniformly throughout the fleet, the rules cease to mean anything and the authority of the staff erodes. This could become life-threatening during a real emergency.

This issue is serious. Let's give it the visibility that it deserves by giving consistent feedback about unenforced rules whenever we see such problems on any cruise -- be it with Princess or with any other line!

Norm.