Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Jennifer L

Default Tri or Catamaran to Dunns Falls?

Hi - my husband, 7 yr old son and I signed up to go on the Trimaran Cruise to Dunn's River Falls and Private Beach when we sail on the Sea Princess at the end of the month. I just read a couple of posts that said the private beach wasn't very nice, not to mention it was shared by Carnival. Anyone done either of these tours? I am thinking of switching to the Catamaran Party Cruise and D.R.F. as it is 2 1/2 hrs (as opposed to 5). I don't want to be sitting at a boring, cloudied-water beach, that hasn't enough chairs and yucky sand (as I have read). Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks for any help.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Tri or Catamaran to Dunns Falls?

We did the catamaran to Dunns River falls last January (on the Sea Princess). You have heard correctly, the beach leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't want to spend 5 hours there. It only takes about 2 1/2 hours to climb the falls, so the catamaran tour at 3 hours is perfect. Don't forget to bring water shoes with you, as you can't climb in your bare feet and you definitely need something. Any other questions, please let me know.
Old March 18th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Andrew Hicks

My wife and I did an excursion called the highlights of Jamaica and Dunns River Falls several years ago with RCCL. The highlights of Jamaica was about the equivalent of driving in downtown Detroit (with a lot more dogs running around). My friend just got back from his cruise last week and they did the catamaran sailing to the falls. They said the waves were really rough that day so they got a little sick. As for the falls, well they are okay. If you go, I would recommend leaving the group and going up the falls on your own. If you don't, you stand in single file line holding peoples hands you don't know. My wife and I took off by ourselves and ended up breaking away from the group to have the falls to ourselves (great pictures with nobody in the background). You'll also want to take a waterproof camara. We didn't and spent most of the time worrying about the camera getting wet (especially when people behind us starting splashing). Hope this helps.
Old March 18th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Jennifer L

Thank you both for your input. I just recently contacted Peat Taylor and indicated that we were interested in his tour...so as to avoid the (lack of) beach and possibility of roughness on the trimaran sailing. I also heard he gets you to the Falls before the crowds, which hopefully would avoid the hand-holding thing. Do either of you know of anyone NOT liking Peat's tour? I have only read positive, so far.
Thanks again!!

Jennifer