Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2001, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark
Default BC vs AC cabins on Golden/Grand

I have heard some comments regarding these cabins. I am leaning towards the BC verandah cabin as opposed to the A/C mini suite. I would appreciate any comments from past cruisers on these ships. I am sailing on the Golden 3/02.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2001, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: BC vs AC cabins on Golden/Grand

Mark,
My question to you is why are you leaning to a BC??

Michael
Old June 14th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Lael

We had the AB cat. mini-suite on Dolphin deck and loved it. Four chairs and a table plus a footstool. Enjoyed the option of sunning on our own balcony (not an option on the BC), but you also give up privacy from above. With the BC you will have complete privacy from above. We really liked the extra space you get in the mini-suite. All in all whatever you choose you'll love your room!
Old June 14th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Mark...We just returned from the Grand. Our cruise was May 20th and it was our first time on Princess. We loved every minute of the cruise and ship, EXCEPT for our AA mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. Again, this is just a personal choice of ours and you have to decide what you prefer.

On the Dolphin deck, all rooms stick out in front of the other decks above you on the ship. Anotherwards, the decks are tierd. Everyone from above can see you on the Dolphin deck on the mini-suite balconies. Plus, if it rains like it did on our cruise for 5-days, you can't even sit out on the deck, because all balconies on the Dolphin deck and the deck above that are totally wide open from above with no cover. We felt very uncomfortable with people looking down at us and trying to talk to us. If this isn't a concern of yours, then the mini-suite on the Dolphin deck should be fine because the room itself is beautiful, but if you want privacy on both sides of your balcony and from above and don't want to get wet in case it rains, then don't do it because you will not like it.

Hope this helps. Some people love the openess which is fine. This is just our opinion of what we like.

Dave
Old June 14th, 2001, 11:02 PM
First Mate

That is exactly my concern. I want more privacy than the balcony of the mini suite provides. Otherwise I would love the extra room in the cabin.
Old June 14th, 2001, 11:03 PM
First Mate

Leaning towards this cabin for the covered balcony.
Old June 14th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Just know the BC balconies are NOT very big.. Personally, I'd opt for the extra space, and larger (though open) balcony, if that was the only concern.

Heck I'd enjoy making those looking down blush..
Regards,
Kuki
<Join us on a CruiseMates Group Cruise... here's how:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old June 15th, 2001, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Mark,

I had the same concern as you so we chose a AD category minisuite on the Emerald Deck (we're sailing on the Grand on 7/29). We wanted the larger space that the minisuite provides but we were really concerned about the lack of privacy on the balcony from above. I think going with the AD will give us what we want because the balcony appears to be private from above and we get more room inside than a BC category room has.

Anyone else stayed in an AD stateroom on the Grand? I'd love to hear your comments.
Old June 15th, 2001, 11:51 PM
mcathy

Mark,
We are on the Golden in Oct. and had a BC on the baja deck and was upgraded to a BA on the Caribe deck. I think I am happier with the larger balcony. I don't know if we will be upgraded again or not.
Cathy
Old June 16th, 2001, 12:02 AM
Passenger

Hi, We sailed on the Grand 4/29 and we had an AC Dolphin 115.
I was very concerned about the lack of privacy. Here is what I found out. Maybe because this cabin was very forward (3rd from the front) it seemed that there was never anyone on their balcony above us and we used the balcony a lot (Starboard side for sun) with no problem. I also had a look at the cabins on the Caribe deck category BB and BA and I would say that if you can not afford a mini suite that these are the cabins to go for....they have the same size balcony as the mini- suite and the same chair set up with 2 loungers AND 2 straight chairs and one table large enough to have breakfast on everyday from room service! but the ones on caribe have a half over hang for some privacy or part exposed for some sun. I also saw the BC cabins and the balcony is fully covered but very small only 2 straight chairs and one very small table. Also, the mini-suites have a full couch, 2 TVs and a full tiled bath with a bath tub and the the standard balcony cabins don't have any of these extras.
Marci
Old June 17th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Babette

Mark:

I've had both. You couldn't get me to go with a standard balcony cabin again. Just too small - both room and balcony.

You are on a Caribbean itinerary. Most folks don't stay out on their balconies. They are either topsides or on shore. When I did see people out on their balconies it was upon port arrival and departure....and right before dinner. Other than that... it really was pretty quiet out there. We had two AA mini-suites on the Grand. There were 3100+ pax on our cruise. I really enjoyed being able to sit in the sun on our balcony in peace and quiet.
Old June 26th, 2001, 05:21 PM
SANDRA KELLER

DEAR DAVID,
I READ YOUR COMPARISON OF THE DECKS ON THE GOLDEN AND WAS EXCITED TO HEAR SOME ONE SAY SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT THE NEW GOLDEN. I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR REVIEWS AND ALL I HAVE SEEN SO FAR WERE PRETTY UNFAVORIABLE. MY HUSBAND AND I WITH SOME FRIENDS WILL BE GOING ON THE GOLDEN DEC.16TH. THIS WILL BE MY FIFTH CRUISE AND MY HUSBANDS SECOND. ANY ADVISE OR INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! WE ARE IN THE BA CATIGORY ON THE CARIBE DECK. ALSO WE HAVE CHOSEN THE PERSONAL CHOICE DINING. I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME COPIES OF THE DAILY ACTIVITY SHEETS (THE PAPERS THEY GIVE YOU EVERY DAY TELLING YOU WHAT IS GOING ON FOR THAT DAY). WOULD LIKE TO HEAR BACK, THANKS ,SANDY
Old July 5th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Princess Patter is what that is called. Very great way to know what the dress code is for dinner, what is happening in the showrooms, specials at the solon, and it makes for grat reading every moirning with coffee.