Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Lynda

Default Infor Grand July 15

Called Princess this morning and found out we will not be docking at Costa Maya, dock still out. We will be docking in Playa Del Carmen....
Anybody know of a nice beach, or anything to do there besides the ruins tour?
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2001, 02:29 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Infor Grand July 15

Playa del Carmen is a tender port. There are some really nice beaches to the right off of the dock area. Some nice shops are there also. You can take a taxi to Calica and do X-Caret.
Old July 12th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Lynda...We sailed the Grand on May 20th and also docked at Playa Del Carmen. After you tender off the ship you will noticed that the beach area to the right which is for tourists or anyone else is very beautiful and well kept. The beach area to the left is owned by one of the more expensive looking hotels and is for their guests only.

After you get off the tender, you will notice many shops on both sides of the narrow street. Then after you walk up the street which as a bit of an incline, you will turn right and see more shops on both sides. Many shops are in good shape and a few look run down a bit. Everyone does try and get you to shop their store, but it was the only place where that didn't bother us because you can wheel and deal and negotiate price like I've never seen before. We found some amazing hand carved items for a steal of a price.

Besides that little area, there isn't much to see unless you take a tour. We went to some underground cave tour. It was amazing. But it took about 45 minutes up and back. We were amazed at how poor of an Island Playa Del Carmen really is. Very very poor and run down. It sure made me thankful for what I have. After I saw some of the houses, if you want to call them that...the poor people, these very frail looking kids. It was heartbreaking.

In any event...The stop here sure isn't Costa Maya by any stretch of the immagination, but if you stay close to the dock area where the tender drops you off, you will be fine and should pick up a great bargain.

Hope this helps a little. Enjoy your cruise...You will love the Grand Princess. Please check out the Wheelhouse Lounge on the ship. One of the finest, richest looking, coziest lounges I've ever been in.

Dave
Old July 13th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Lynda

I thank you for the info!!
I think we may just rent a taxi and have the driver show us around. I called later tonight, and Princess told me that we will go go Costa Maya, guess we will get the answer when we board her this sunday.

I definately will go with my husband to the Wheelhouse, sounds great!