Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Personal Choice Confusion

I've been seeing many posts here on the Princess folder regarding Personal Choice, and see alot of confusion.

Personal Choice relates to dining times, and which dining rooms you can dine in. The ships dress codes STILL APPLY to the Personal Choice dining rooms.
On Formal nights, formal wear IS expected in the Personal Choice dining rooms.

This is quite different from NCL's Freestyle Cruising, where dress code suggestions are mentioned, but the choice is still the passengers.

Regards,
Kuki
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Personal Choice Confusion

Don't you feel that even the need to post an explanation such as this(nicely put by the way) indicates that passengers and travel agents just do not "get it" when it comes to Personal Choice?
Do you know of a well written article or review of Personal Choice and it's do's ,don'ts, alternatives and choices? It would be even better if there was one comparing and contrasting with the traditional dining option and perhaps even with Norwegian's Freestyle concept.
I ran into a whole lot of people on my most recent cruise who had no idea of the workings of the Personal Choice concept even days into the cruise.
Old January 14th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Emmy

When there is confusion about things like this I blame the TA especially if their client is not a veteran cruiser. The TA should know and explain these things to the cruiser. I think they do their client a diservice be not explaining all the choices and what it means thereby letting the client make an informed choice. I am so thankful I have found websites like this to help me be an informed consumer.

Emmy
Old January 14th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Passenger

We have been on 3 Princess cruises with personal choice dining. A pamplet explaining personal choice is included with the precruise documents. All you have to do is read it.

Evelyn
Old January 14th, 2002, 03:34 PM
jp garnier

Part of the confusion is the statement by the line on switching back and forth. this appears to be authoritative: If you are on traditional dining you can opt out on a given night for Personal choice. However if you are assigned to P.C. you cannot move into traditional dining. You will know which you have been assigned to by looking at your key. If it does not mention a table assignment at one of the two sittings, you are on P.C. If that is not satisfactory you'd better hustle yourself to the P.C dining room where the Maitre D' will hold forth from 3 :30 on. If you do not widh to stand in a line that goes around the Atrium, you'd better get ther about 2 :00 pm with a book and watch the show when the folks loaded down with gold and diamonds demonstrate how oblivious they are to lines. JP
Old January 14th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Admiral

You've said majic words "all you have to do is read it".
The people checking in in front of me last cruise, not only hadn't read their doc's, they hadn't filled in a thing. Read an entire pamphlet on personal choice? Not a chance. These of course will be the same people who have no idea which breakfasts are assigned seating and which are open seating, what time and where the shows are, when the shops are open, which are the formal and which are the casual evenings etc. Why?, They don't read anything! They will also be the people who will ask six times what the auto tipping on their bills are about and who will try and sign up for an excursion as the ship pulls into port in the morning. One wonders how the got their socks on.
But, more to the point, they will be the ones who have no idea how the personal choice works even at the end of the cruise.
Example. Ran into a guy on day six or seven of a ten day cruise in Novemeber, His complaint. He did not like the table , waiter or table mates at the table he had been "assigned " in the personal choice dining room. He ,along with an entire table full of people, thought they had to stay with the table they were seated at on night# 1. Thought they were stuck with the "choice" they made for time, table etc. the first night.He was not alone.
there were others who thought you had to line up and get luck of the draw every night and still others who did not understand that they could get together with people they met and make a reservation. Someone was not getting out the word on how this works. Maybe Princess should have a personal choice "lecture" on the first day ( sort of like the port lectures or disembarkation lectures). Please understand that we knew how it all worked.
We read the pamphlet.
Old January 14th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

What is all the fuss for. Why do you have to reem this person out for asking a question. Gee.
Old January 15th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Chill out . Nobody has reemed anybody out, anywhere in this entire thread. See, the problem lies here as well, Nobody Reads.
Old January 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Mike Mastellar

Bill;
I agree with you. My pet cruise peeve is people not reading or filling out their documents. Then hearing them complain that check in took soooo long.

I guess I should take this to Cruise Gripes:

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host and March 10th Ocean Princess Cruiser
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Did someone actully agree with me? Where do I send the check?
Go over to cruise gripes and read a thread I started after coming off Ocean Princess in November. It is titled The Little Things. In part it covers the unprepared passenger a embarkation. Do not let it turn you off. We in fact had an overall excellent experince(once we got past a few little things).
Happy Cruising
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Did someone actully agree with me? Where do I send the check?
Go over to cruise gripes and read a thread I started after coming off Ocean Princess in November. It is titled The Little Things. In part it covers the unprepared passenger a embarkation. Do not let it turn you off. We in fact had an overall excellent experince(once we got past a few little things).
Happy Cruising
Old January 16th, 2002, 08:12 PM
cruiseryyc

One easy way to avoid the confusion and have a really great enjoyable dining experience is to opt for TRADITIONAL dining. The joy of cruising (at least in the past) was the knowledge that I would never have to make a decision on when or where to eat, nor would I have to stand in line, nor would I have to make a reservation. Not only that but by the second night my waiter knows whether I want tea or coffee after dinner.
Old January 17th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Emmy

I totally agree with Cruiseryyc and that is why I have chosen Traditional dining as well. I like the idea of not having to bother with reservations, deciding what time to eat.

Emmy
Old January 17th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Emmy,

Princess publishes an excellent Cruise Answerbook and provides it to all passengers (as part of a package containing other information as well), via the travel agent who handles the bookings, upon receipt of final payment for the cruise. In most cases, the "clueless" passengers never bothered to read the information that Princess provided to them!

If the travel agent failed to deliver the package, the fault rests upon the travel agent. If the travel agent delivered the package to the passenger, OTOH, the travel agent did provide the information and the passenger ignored it. In that scenario, it's the passenger's fault.

Norm.