Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2002, 10:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele
Default Going Out Of Sanjuan

Complaints on the RCCL and Celebrity boards about the line selling cabins to the local Puert Ricans for a $500 a cabin of four so they were overloaded with children on non holiday sailings. Does Princess do the ame thing?
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2002, 11:49 PM
Hawkeye

Default Re: Going Out Of Sanjuan

We've sailed Princess out of San Juan four times, the last this past December, and have never encountered this. We did meet a Puerto Rican doctor and his family on our last cruise but encountered nothing like what is currently being reported aboard the other lines.

Based on these postings we did cancel a cruise on AOS out of San Juan we had scheduled for next December and booked the Grand on the western route instead.
Old February 1st, 2002, 09:00 AM
Admiral

It doesn't appear that Princess is deeply discounting cruises out of San Juan to the Puerto Ricans.

I sailed on 12/29/2001 over New Years on the RCI Nordic Empress, the ship was over 50% locals. They were a very nice group, and did they like to party. RCI had tailored things to their flavor, to the point of having a band up on deck till the wee hours. We were able to board the ship early on the 29th and I went to have a drink to relax me so I could take a nap, I got to talking to a guy who lived about 10 minutes from the ship and he bought me a drink. I flew home on 01/03/2002 from that cruise.

I had a friend who was with a large from the Washington, DC area on the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan on 1/6/2002 and the ship again was over 50% locals.

I then flew to San Juan on 1/11/2002 (why do you think I have the name CruiseAholic) with some friends for the Dawn Princess sailing on 1/12/2002. The passenger mix was varied on the Dawn, not many locals (I'd say I only encountered about 20 Spanish speaking passengers), was a heavy concentration of English.
Old February 3rd, 2002, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Let me see if I understand this... people are flying to Puerto Rico to cruise and are upset about meeting and sailing with Puerto Ricans? Why not just stay home? I wonder what in the world these people do in Europe or Asia. I've been on more than a few cruises with loud, boisterous and shabily dressed Americans whom I would just as soon not sail with. To me, the international flavor is a refreshing change. Can some of it get out of hand? Sure. But try sailing for a week on a full ship sitting next to a large table of loud, demanding Americans whose idea of being dressed for dinner on formal night was wearing a logo Tee shirt over their faded jeans rather than their usual tank top. Check out Kuki's story on bothersome things at sea.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
kim w

MY HUSBAND AND I WENT OUT OF SAN JUAN LAST APRIL ON THE OCEAN PRINCESS AND DID NOT FIND THAT TO BE THE CASE AT ALL. I FIND THAT REPUTATION IS VERY IMPORTANT TO PRINCESS CRUISE LINES.