Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2002, 11:00 AM
james moulton

Default upgrades

I notice a lot of you experienced cruisers talk alot about upgrades , does this happen quite often?
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: upgrades

Not for me they don't. No one outside of the cruise industry has ever figured out exactly how they happen. Most of the time they are rewards to frequent sailors on that line, however, the first time I sailed Carnival I was upgraded from a standard outside to a verandah cabin. Booking a guarantee instead of a specific cabin is a good idea too. You are almost never upgraded from a specific cabin. then there's the upgrade fairy. No one ever knows when she'll strike!

Carole
Old February 11th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Never say never we booked a speficic cabin B702 on the grand 3-17-02. and was upgraded to C702 about 2 months ago. from BD to BB. It is our very first cruise, we did book 9 months in advance. We just took the advice from these boards and booked a room we would be happy in if a upgrade never came. We were just one of the lucky ones the upgrade fairy visited I guess (). So anything can happen.
Old February 11th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Passenger

The first time my wife and I booked a balcony on Crown Princess for back to back Carribean sailings we were upgraded to a mini suite for both weeks. The next time on Regal Princess with friends for a 10 day Panama Canal all 3 of us were upgraded to mini suites. All next to each other. We all had booked balconies. Then on Sun Princess on an 11 day Panama Canal we booked 3 balconies next to each other and were told if we upgraded we might not be side by side so we turned down the upgrade. All were specific cabins, not guarantees. Now we are on Ocean Princess on April 19. Booked 3 balconies in a row and are hoping for 3 mini suites in a row. Haven't heard anything yet. Still kind of early. But we can dream.
Old February 11th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Admiral

I booked the Star Princess May 11th Alaska Cruise at the AD Mini Suite rate guarantee, and have been upgrade to D514 a AA cabin.
Old February 11th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi James,
The two Princess cruises I took, book both with a guarantee, and neither one did we receive an upgrade. That was OK, we always book the guarantee on a catagory we'd be happy with, so an upgrade would of been frosting on the cake, something you can never count on. Good luck to you.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:21 AM
First Mate

Our first cruise, we didn't know what we were doing, and booked only 30 days before sailing with the cheapest cabin guaranteed room thru expedia, and were upgraded to an ocean view room, still in Cat N, but we thought it was wonderful!! What did we know--1st timers????? Anyway, 2nd cruise we booked BD balcony & have been upgraded to BB, on the Caribe deck? Is this a good room, good location?? The rooms look the same on the web site. Thanks for any advice/help from all of you experienced Princess sailors!! Gloria
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I hear the balconies are bigger on the caribe deck. that's where we will be on 3-17. we booked a BD on the Baja deck and were upgraded to BA on the caribe deck. Still hoping another upgrade might happen. But I think we will like the larger balcony if we don't get upgraded.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
First Mate

A bigger balcony would be nice. Thanks, Virginia! You have one category higher (BA) than me(BB). You will be hooked on cruising after 3/17. We can't get enough time off for all the crusing we'd like to do and Princess is the only line we consider!! Enjoy the cruise!! Gloria (Fellows@worldnet.att.net)