Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
Passenger

Default Princess Cruise Docs?

How far ahead do you receive the Princess docs? We're closing in on 3 weeks 'til flight time and no docs yet... we've sailed Disney and they get the docs out far ahead (4-5 weeks). Just curious... I'd like to have some time to check them out and get even more excited about our cruise!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2002, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Could be 2 weeks before you sail ... hopefully, you registered on line a while back because I'd guess it might be too late now to do it. Check Cruise Personalizer ... and if you don't have a brochure, go to your handy dandy AAA agency and pick one up for answers to lots of questions.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 3rd, 2002, 12:21 AM
Passenger

We received our tickets for August 18th Grand cruise, 33 days before the cruise. But I know from reading other posts that some people are receiving them more like 2 weeks before.
Last year on RCCL Voyager the tickets came 10 days before -- I was getting nervous, but it worked out fine.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old August 3rd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Hi Jean,
I've received docs as late as 3 days before cruising, had me a little nervious to say the say the least, but at least they did arrive, so you should be seeing them any day now!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 3rd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

If you buy your own air you can go to the pier without any documents. If you have a booking number from the cruiselines it means you are on the ship's manifest and they can issue documents at the port. With your cruise booking number you can go on the Princess website and fill in the information required and book your shore excursions. Nice to get it all out of the way in advance and you can be sure to get the excursions you want.

Carole
Old August 3rd, 2002, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Our cruise is the 26th of August and we received our tickets last Tuesday, 7/29.
Old August 3rd, 2002, 07:04 PM
Admiral

jeanm,

Your travel agent should have delivered an information package to you about four weeks ago containing the "Adventures Ashore" booklet describing shore excursions in your ports of call, the "Cruise AnswerBook" containing general informtion for all passengers, some other miscellaneous pieces of information, and forms to return to Princess with immigration information, emergency contacts, etc., and an order form for shore excursions. You can submit this inforamtion via the "Cruise Personalizer" on Princess's web site rather than returning the forms. If you did not receive this information package, have your travel agent contact Princess to obtain it.

The actual cruise tickets usually arrive two to four weeks before the start of the cruise, though it is possible that they can arrive within a week. Your travel agent also will deliver them to you.

Norm.
Old August 3rd, 2002, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, I did receive the packet from my TA about a month ago and have already entered immigration info, shore excursions (at least those that we are booking through Princess) in the cruise personalizer.

I had been watching the excursions and was online in late June -- the day that Princess opened up online booking for our cruise -- about 60 days prior to your cruise date. I booked our excursions before I got the packet from the TA. Several excursions are already sold out for our cruise.

We have a pre-cruise package booked in Vancouver so I expect to get cruise docs in spite of or in addition to registering online. We should get luggage tags and Vancouver tour information. I'll watch for the docs in the next week and if I haven't received them I'll give my TA a call.

We sail on 8/26 on the Dawn Princess. Can't wait! First trip to Alaska.
Old August 6th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jean,

we sail 9/1, booked on air and are still waiting on final docs. a couple of people on our cruise got their docs yesterday. hope this helps you.

Kat
Old August 6th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Shar

We got a call from our TA yesterday (for our cruise on Regal Princess on September 6th) and our tickets are in. We'll get them tomorrow! As the some of the previous posters said, it's not unusual to get the tickets two weeks before.
Shar
Old August 7th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Passenger

An update on our docs for our 8/26 Dawn Princess sailing - our TA called yesterday and the docs arrived today - about 2 1/2 weeks ahead of our flight to Vancouver.

The front of the document folder has "Express Check-in" - I registered everything through the Princess web site so hopefully embarkation will be smooth!

Thanks everyone and happy sailing to you!!

Jean
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Frank

jeanm wrote:

> The front of the document folder has "Express Check-in" - I
> registered everything through the Princess web site so
> hopefully embarkation will be smooth!

Jean:
So did ours but Prncess let everyone board at the same time, regardless of whether they filled out their information in line. People were manually filling out their information and holding up those who had Express Check-in. This was in San Francisco for the Regal Princess to Alaska. I was disappointed. And could you believe, some people arrived without any identification for their children?
Frank-in-CA
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Shar

Welcome Back, Frank!
What time did you show up at the port? I've got lots of questions for you. :o)

Shar
Old August 9th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Frank

Shar wrote:

> Welcome Back, Frank!
> What time did you show up at the port? I've got lots of
> questions for you. :o)
>
Shar:
Due to the heavy traffic with both the Regal and Crystal Harmony in port at the same time and the San Francisco marathon closing the Embarcadero for a few hours, traffic was horrendous. We didn't arrive until noon and they started letting people on board at 11:30 AM.

What kind of questions do you have?
Frank
Old August 10th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Admiral

jeanm,

I'm glad to hear that your documents "finally" arrived. I know it is a bit nerve-wracking when they come on the late side.

The front of the document folder has "Express Check-in" - I registered everything through the Princess web site so hopefully embarkation will be smooth!

With the "Express Check-in" sticker, check-in should be a snap. There's usually a separate line for express check-in (either with the sticker or on the list that the agents in the terminal have, as some peoples' information gets into the system after their tickets go out), and it moves very quickly. When you get to the counter, you show your passport (the check-in agent might collect it, depending upon your itinerary) and sign the charge authorization for your cruise card, then they give you your cruise card and you go aboard. It usually takes less than two minutes. All the other paperwork is already in the computer, so there's nothing else to do.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Norm wrote:

> With the "Express Check-in" sticker, check-in should be a
> snap. There's usually a separate line for express check-in
> (either with the sticker or on the list that the agents in the
> terminal have, as some peoples' information gets into the
> system after their tickets go out), and it moves very quickly.

Norm:
As I mentioned, they didn't do this with the Regal in SF. It was mass confusion.
Frank
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Frank,

As I mentioned, they didn't do this with the Regal in SF. It was mass confusion.

I saw your earlier post and I'm not about to argue the point. I wonder what went wrong, though. In my experience embarking in Southampton, Los Angeles, and San Juan, the "Express Check-in" program has worked quite well.

Norm.
Old August 12th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Norm wrote:

> I saw your earlier post and I'm not about to argue the point.
> I wonder what went wrong, though. In my experience embarking
> in Southampton, Los Angeles, and San Juan, the "Express
> Check-in" program has worked quite well.
>
Norm:
Ours went well last year when we boarded in Vancouver. The problem in San Francisco is that they didn't have separate lines for "Express Check-in" and let everyone start boarding at 11:30 AM regardless of whether their forms were filled out or not. These set of Alaskan cruises were set up on the fly due to 9/11 and probably suffered from inadequate planning.
Frank
Old August 12th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Princess Cruise Docs?

Frank,

Ours went well last year when we boarded in Vancouver. The problem in San Francisco is that they didn't have separate lines for "Express Check-in" and let everyone start boarding at 11:30 AM regardless of whether their forms were filled out or not. These set of Alaskan cruises were set up on the fly due to 9/11 and probably suffered from inadequate planning.

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I would guess inadequate training of shoreside staff, but who knows for sure?

In any case, I'll see what happens ehwn I get to Vancouver to board MV Sun Princess next Monday.

Norm.
Old August 13th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Shar

Frank:
I actually was able to get some of my more immediate questions answered on Cruisecritic. A person just returned (maybe even from your cruise?) and posted their review. Remember when we couldn't understand why Princess wasn't scheduling any cruises out of San Fran next season? Maybe the lack of manpower and adequate facilities is behind it (at least in part). Luckily, none of the other postings I saw had anything as negative happen to them upon embarking. I'm sure having the additional ship in port put a real strain on the port's staff (read: you get what you pay for...) :o( I've checked the Port Authority and it looks like Regal Princess will be the only ship in port on Sept 6th. Do you plan on posting a review? If so, my questions will probably be answered. If not, I'll come up with a list for you. Please let me know if you'd rather use the board (for other's education) or have me e-mail my questions to you directly. I sure hope the rest of your experience wasn't soured by that bad start!!!

Shar
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Frank

Shar wrote:

> Do you plan on
> posting a review? If so, my questions will probably be
> answered. If not, I'll come up with a list for you. Please
> let me know if you'd rather use the board (for other's
> education) or have me e-mail my questions to you directly. I
> sure hope the rest of your experience wasn't soured by that bad
> start!!!
>
Shar:
No, I didn't take notes so I won't be posting a review. It was our 3rd Alaskan cruise so I was sort of blase about that aspect. Ask what you want either here or by email, I'll be glad to respond. Overall, this was a very nice cruise. I especially thought Tracy Arm was better than Glacier Bay both from the beauty of the fjords and the conditions that cause more calving of the glacier. However, those conditions make it a tad more convenient, ie, the wetness. (G) I found the food to be good and the service in the dining area extremely good, especially from the head waiter - first time I've had this experience and first time I've given more than a perfunctory tip to a head waiter. And food seemed to be warmer than usual cruise food, like it just came out of the oven. Even the entertainment seemed better than normal. And if you get Brent Nixon on your ship as the naturalist, make sure you catch every talk he gives - he is incredible.
Frank
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Shar

Frank!
Thanks again for all the valuable info. Here's a question: Where is the best place to view Tracy Arm? Unfortunately, we have an inside cabin and our cruise is wait-listed - so there's not much chance of even PAYING for an upgrade. We're all the way aft on Aloha - so it's an easy run out to the deck.

Shar
Old August 14th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Frank

Shar wrote:

!
> Thanks again for all the valuable info. Here's a question:
> Where is the best place to view Tracy Arm? Unfortunately, we
> have an inside cabin and our cruise is wait-listed - so there's
> not much chance of even PAYING for an upgrade. We're all the
> way aft on Aloha - so it's an easy run out to the deck.
>
Shar:
Tracy Arm is covered in that other post you started so I won't repeat it here. I just get a kick out of how sold out these cruises are and can't help but keep asking the question as to why this is only a one shot deal for this summer?
Frank
Old August 15th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Passenger

Default cabin room numbers

I see a couple of you are on the Dawn princess for August 26th. My husband and I are also going then! Have you gotten your cabin numbers yet?