Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2002, 10:01 PM
BoozeBabe

Default Auto Tipping--How Much???

This may have been asked before. How much is the auto tipping on Princess? We leave in 11 days and I still don't know how much the auto tip is. Haven't decided if thats the route we want to take either. I know we can decide once on board. We are fairly generous tippers and know we could give more personallyat the end of the cruise as usual. We have chosen Personnal Choice so I know tipping the waiters would be difficult. I wouldn't want any of them to get "stiffed".

Any help here??
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

Princess will add $10.00 per person/per day to your onboard account for tipping of all staff. The following link explains their procedure in more detail.

http://www.princess.com/news/article...rticleId=na475

I, personally, still prefer to do my own tipping. Gives me the chance to tip more if I feel the staff did an outstanding job. I'm happy to say, that I've never felt the need to tip less than recommended.....our service has always been wonderful.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 5th, 2002, 09:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

I too would prefer to Tip myself. I am just wondering if it is a big hassle to get the Auto tip taking off and do it on your own? I dont want to go to hte pursers desk and get dirty looks over changing it if possible. Let me know if any of you have taken hte auto tip off.
Old September 5th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Was on the Star Princess last week, just go to the Pursers Desk to have it taken off.

However, we left it on and then just gave a little extra to those we wished to have more.
Old September 5th, 2002, 03:11 PM
DavidPR

Default Re: Taking off the tipping

My understanding from what I have read in the literature I have received for our Trans-Atlantic trip, as well as the website and my travel agent's comments imply that the automatic tipping can be adjusted--either up or down--at any time by the passenger, as opposed to opting to remove this option completely. It has been made very clear to me that if we feel that we wish to leave more than the specified amount, then we are permitted to do so this way.

Personally, after having to worrying about getting my hands on extra cash (lol) at the end of a cruise for tips, being able to charge this to my AMEX / onboard account, is a wonderful option that I would like to see on RCCL and Celebrity as well (plan to cruise on both again, as well as Princess)

Again, JMO (just my opinion)

Regards,

David
San Juan
Old September 5th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Kwaj girl

One question, though....On Renaissance there was also the auto-tipping which passengers were free to adjust up or down as they wished. HOWEVER...any tips given directly to the crew members had to be turned in to the "tip pool" to make up for passengers who "undertipped". Only if the total tip amount taken in for the cruise met the predetermined "goal" based on "# of passengers x standard tip" did the individuals get to keep the tips given directly to them! Does anyone know if this is what happens on Princess? If so, it would seem to make no sense to delete the auto-tip only to have your poor steward or waiter have to turn it in!
Old September 5th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I kind of wonder if that happens. I removed the auto tip on my 15 day Crown Princess Panama Canal trip in April and when I gave the tip to the waiter, he needed to get my name and cabin number to put on the envelope ... made me suspicious of pooling it.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old September 6th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Now, that is interesting, last week on the Star Princess, we noticed the wait staff taking their envelopes to the matre'd who was checking off a list.
Old September 6th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Admiral

When we sailed on Golden last New Years, I was told if you opted for the Auto Tipping....the money would be pooled and distributed amoung ALL wait staff.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 6th, 2002, 02:59 PM
KreinKrunker

Tips are pooled, whether auto or hand paid. If you want to make sure your waiter or steward gets a little extra, slip it to them during the week. Some may chose to pool it, or some to keep it. This may be a good place for the phone cards, as they would be hard to pool.
Old September 6th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Taking off the tipping

DavidPR wrote:

> Personally, after having to worrying about getting my hands
> on extra cash (lol) at the end of a cruise for tips, being able
> to charge this to my AMEX / onboard account, is a wonderful
> option that I would like to see on RCCL and Celebrity as well
> (plan to cruise on both again, as well as Princess)
>
David:
I would second that. I don't know why these other lines don't allow this convenience.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 7th, 2002, 09:11 AM
PrincessBubbles

We were on the Ocean Princess April of this year. We decided to take off the auto-tips because we wanted to hand out enevelopes personally. We went to the pursers desk to take the tips off our account and there was no problem or dirty looks. The last night we handed out our enevelopes with extra money in them for our waiters and room steward because they were all so great. We asked them how this worked they said they had to turn in all of the money even the extra, they were not allowed to keep it. I was disappointed because I thought they could keep the extra money over the specified amount. From now on we will just use the auto-tip and slip them extra if we would like to during the cruise.
Old September 8th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Frank

PrincessBubbles wrote:

> We asked them how this worked they said they had to turn
> in all of the money even the extra, they were not allowed to
> keep it. I was disappointed because I thought they could keep
> the extra money over the specified amount. From now on we will
> just use the auto-tip and slip them extra if we would like to
> during the cruise.

That is a bummer. I tip more than the suggested amount when I get very good service but I thought the extra was going to the person I was handing the money. If it isn't, that changes my idea about going above the suggested amount. I think that stinks.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

Gary,

I too would prefer to Tip myself. I am just wondering if it is a big hassle to get the Auto tip taking off and do it on your own? I dont want to go to hte pursers desk and get dirty looks over changing it if possible. Let me know if any of you have taken hte auto tip off.

It's no hassle at all, and I have yet to hear of "dirty looks" when passengers ask the purser's staff to remove the automatic tip because they prefer to tip in the traditional way.

I generally prefer to tip in the traditional way, but I will admit that the automatic tipping is much easier since there's no need to arrange to have the right combination of bills at the end of the cruise.

Norm.
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Taking off the tipping

David,

My understanding from what I have read in the literature I have received for our Trans-Atlantic trip, as well as the website and my travel agent's comments imply that the automatic tipping can be adjusted--either up or down--at any time by the passenger, as opposed to opting to remove this option completely. It has been made very clear to me that if we feel that we wish to leave more than the specified amount, then we are permitted to do so this way.

Yes, you can adjust it up or down -- and you can "adjust it down" all the way to zero if you prefer to tip in the traditional manner.

Norm.
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Kwaj girl,

One question, though....On Renaissance there was also the auto-tipping which passengers were free to adjust up or down as they wished. HOWEVER...any tips given directly to the crew members had to be turned in to the "tip pool" to make up for passengers who "undertipped". Only if the total tip amount taken in for the cruise met the predetermined "goal" based on "# of passengers x standard tip" did the individuals get to keep the tips given directly to them! Does anyone know if this is what happens on Princess? If so, it would seem to make no sense to delete the auto-tip only to have your poor steward or waiter have to turn it in!

There is a pooling of tips on Princess because some of the waitstaff work on the Horizon Court, etc., where they don't collect tips, during the dinner hour. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the waitstaff do seem to be pretty happy.

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Passenger

We went to the Pursars desk the first day and asked for the tips to be changed to half
which is the same as P&O on British ships and they were fine about it. We do not understand why we have to tip so much when we have already paid thousands for our cruise, it is not really our problem that Princess pay their staff so little. The service was very good but sometimes it is bit 'over the top' we don't need to be treated like Royalty.
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

Fran,

The service was very good but sometimes it is bit 'over the top' we don't need to be treated like Royalty.

This is a rather unusual complaint, but perhaps you would be happier on a less "upscale" cruise line where the fares probably would be somewhat lower?

Princess Cruises competes with Celebrity Cruises and Holland America Lines in the "premium" segment of the market, where the standard of service, etc., is much higher than on "mainstream" lines like Carnival, Costa Crociere, Royal Caribbean International, or Norwegian Cruise Line. There's also a "luxury" tier where the standard of service is even higher -- but with much higher fares also!

On the whole, I find that Princess offers a good balance between service and cost for my tastes and I probably would be just as happy on a Celebrity cruise. Nonetheless, this segment of the market is right for everybody.

Norm.
Old September 11th, 2002, 06:13 PM
cruznliz

I think "stiffing" by removing or lowering the automatic tips is DISGRACEFUL. If you paid thousands for your cruise, you can afford $10 a day extra for all they do. Just because there's one bad apple doesn't mean they should all suffer.

As someone mentioned, you may want to give that special steward or waiter a phone card or some other tangible gift of appreciation that they can keep and use themselves. You could bring along some of the Costco phone cards, as they are good for all over the world. Probably the BEST non tangible gift would be to fill out one of those "above and beyond" cards that they have everywhere at the end of the cruise. Be sure to get the crew members full name and department. It will go in their permanent record that they have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Also remember, the $10 only covers the waiters, assistant waiters and room stewards. If you get exceptional service from other crew members, tip envelopes are certainly appropriate there. For instance, as a parent and former teacher I know the Youth Staff in the Fun Zone do a wonderful job of keeping the kids happy and OUT OF SIGHT, all at no extra charge. I bet those girls could use the tips!
Old September 12th, 2002, 09:19 AM
DavidPR

Default YOULD SHOULD BE ASHAMED...

...to do such a thing, and then have the nerve to admit it here!!! Contrary to what everyone thinks, the guys and gals that work so hard on cruise ships aren't "raking in cash" and getting rich from their jobs. Many come from very poor backgrounds, and are supporting entire families with the $$$ that we passengers leave them while travelling aboard. In other words, they rely strongly on our tips for their livelihood. Moreover, you also should take into consideration that most crew members don't work 52 weeks a year.

My words to you are as follows:

If you believe that you have a point that the cruise lines should not request tips as they do, then complain and hope something changes, in terms of charing more for your trip, so you won't be requested to leave tips. In the meantime, you should consider that you book your cruise FULLY AWARE of the system in place, BEFOREHAND. No one tricked you into paying "thousands" for your ticket, and then surprised you with a $70 per week tip schedule. So, if you don't want to tip, DON'T TAKE A CRUISE.

Furthermore, I still dare you to compare your cruise that cost you thousands to a comparable land vacation with airfare, comparable luxury hotel with amenitites, and the cost of dining out in a 5-star restaurant every day.

Personally, I usually double the recommended tip schedule, as a general rule.

Regards,

David
San Juan
Old September 12th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Frank

cruznliz wrote:

> I think "stiffing" by removing or lowering the automatic tips
> is DISGRACEFUL. If you paid thousands for your cruise, you can
> afford $10 a day extra for all they do. Just because there's
> one bad apple doesn't mean they should all suffer.

Were you replying to me? My comment was that I was disturbed that what I was tipping over and above the automatic charge would not go to those who performed the excellent service. In that case, I felt there was no reason to tip above and beyond what was charged to the room.
>
> As someone mentioned, you may want to give that special
> steward or waiter a phone card or some other tangible gift of
> appreciation that they can keep and use themselves. You could
> bring along some of the Costco phone cards, as they are good
> for all over the world.

That's a good suggestion if they don't use email as some ships now allow.

> Probably the BEST non tangible gift
> would be to fill out one of those "above and beyond" cards that
> they have everywhere at the end of the cruise. Be sure to get
> the crew members full name and department. It will go in their
> permanent record that they have gone above and beyond the call
> of duty.

I always do that. I understand that if goes further than just in their records. I've heard that it is used in determining who gets time off when in port vs. who stays on board and works.
>
> Also remember, the $10 only covers the waiters, assistant
> waiters and room stewards. If you get exceptional service from
> other crew members, tip envelopes are certainly appropriate
> there. For instance, as a parent and former teacher I know the
> Youth Staff in the Fun Zone do a wonderful job of keeping the
> kids happy and OUT OF SIGHT, all at no extra charge. I bet
> those girls could use the tips!

I disagree with that. If you add the suggested rates of $3.50 for the room steward, $3.50 for the waiter and $2.00 for the assistant waiter, that is $9.00. The other dollar/day/person goes to the head waiter and Maitre'd.

BTW, I've also wondered about those people in the fun zone. When I inquired about this on other boards I was told that they are considered like crew or the activity staff and not tipped. I didn't think that was right either. If one feels they deserve it, they should give them something.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:48 PM
BoozeBabe

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

I don't like that extra dollar going to the Maitre'd or head waiter. They are in management positions and should be compensated by the cruise line. I have never had occasion to tip the Maitre'd. To me he performs no other job than to be "eye candy". Don't get me wrong, I like eye candy, but I'm NOT going to tip someone nor does he deserve to be tipped for keeping the room running smoothly. I can't imagine what service they could perform for me. (At least not in the dining room..) I would actually love to experience a cruise and be greeted EVERY EVENING not just the first and last by the Maitre d. Please don't anyone take offense at this BUT they remind me of that "Hollywood" typecast sleazy used car salesman.

I guess I'll figure something out before Sunday.

BTW...... I know people who have used the kids program several times and were given envelopes for that part of the crew. Naturally the ship knows who has kids on board and would not give them to those not having kids.
Old September 12th, 2002, 11:43 PM
cruznliz

Sorry, Frank. I wasn't responding to you. I'm still rather new on these boards and don't always answer in the correct order.

I agree that tips SHOULD go to the person they are given to. But in the real world there are way too many who stiff. I've heard that the crew likes the new policy because they are actually receiving a higher percentaged of tips because of course most people don't delete the automatic tips. As someone mentioned, the cruise line is not doing this to alienate it's crew. They are doing it in an effort to help the crew.
Old September 13th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I use to be one of those girls in the youth. center. They are not offical staff and are not paid by the cruise lines. You receive a free cruise in exchange for your services. When I worked in there, you had to pay for your own arifare to the ship. The only pay you receive are the tips.
So as a former girl in the youth center - I thank you for the tips. My experience there made me a cruise nut. It was a great way to take a cruise during my college years, when I couldn't afford the luxury of cruisin as a paying passenger.
Old September 13th, 2002, 10:39 PM
cruznliz

Nowadays on Princess they are part of the cruise directors staff. I know they are paid, but of course not much by "land" standards, considering the 7 days a week they work. Glad you enjoyed your experience and became a dedicated cruiser. What ship were you on?

21 days until Golden Princess October 5th.
Old September 15th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

BoozeBabe wrote:

> I don't like that extra dollar going to the Maitre'd or head
> waiter. They are in management positions and should be
> compensated by the cruise line.

Normally, I'd agree with that but on our recent Alaskan cruise on the Regal, the head waiter was fantastic. We had our kids and grandkids along and he instructed the waiter and assistant waiter to take care of the kids first. He was constantly overseeing the grandkids and even cut the meat for the 3 and 6 year old, nudging my son-in-law away and telling him to just enjoy himself and not to bother with the children. I let the cabin charge stay but gave additional cash to him and the wait staff. At that time, I thought he'd have been able to keep it.

On other cruises, the head waiter would just walk around smiling and glad handing while making an occassional pasta appetizer. As you mentioned, for those, I don't feel they've done anything to merit a tip.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 15th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto Tipping--How Much???

cruznliz wrote:

> I agree that tips SHOULD go to the person they are given to.
> But in the real world there are way too many who stiff. I've
> heard that the crew likes the new policy because they are
> actually receiving a higher percentaged of tips because of
> course most people don't delete the automatic tips. As someone
> mentioned, the cruise line is not doing this to alienate it's
> crew. They are doing it in an effort to help the crew.

I would imagine, as the word gets out, that this might change. I feel no motivation to tip above and beyond when I know it won't go to the person that earned it. Just my feelings.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:15 PM
BoozeBabe

We saw some of the same waiters in the dining room and again working in Horizon Court so I have the feeling they rotate. We saw one of the dining room waiters delivering a room service tray one day too. In that case the tips are distributed fairly.