Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod
Default Butler service

Exactly what is butler service and how does it differ from a typical room steward? Is this service available on Sea Princess with a mini-suite?

Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:27 AM
RickJ

Default Re: Butler service

We had a mini suite on the Sea Princess in July. Sorry, but Princess discontinued the butler service about a year ago (maybe more).
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Crowsie

Sorry, Rod....
Princess has discontinued the butler service...a couple of years ago, I believe.

We had the service when we cruised Austraila and New Zealand...and really missed it on our other 2 trips....we had suites and mini-suites on all the trips and there was no butler service for our last 2 cruises.

My understanding is some folks complained about having another person to tip...but we thought it was well worth it...we had complimentary hors d'oeuvres in our cabin every nite...our mini bar was constantly re-stocked...the butler took care of changes to shore excursions, arranged an engine room tour thru a buddy of his that worked in the engine room and so on and so on....

Very sorry to see it go away..we would gladly pay to have it restored!
Crowsie
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Butler service

Sorry to hear that Princess discontinued this service. We also have a mini-suite booked in December and I was looking forward to a butler...oh well, we'll still enjoy it!
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Sounds like a nice perk for the price you pay for a mini or a suite. I would gladly have tipped for that type of service. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it.

Otherwise, did you enjoy the mini-suite? Any other unwritten services come with booking a mini-suite?

Old October 17th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Passenger

If I may, which mini-suite did you have. Was it worth the price you paid? We've got an AB mini on the back of the ship and are quite excited about it.

Old October 17th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Butler service

You will love the AB at the back of the ship - we have had cabins there on two previous cruises. Which deck are you on?
Old October 17th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Butler service

Rod,

The minisuites aboard MV Sun Princess are essentially smaller versions of the full suites -- quite comfortable! Enjoy!

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Mini-suite

We are on an AB guarantee, so I don't know which cabin yet. I thought I would like the idea of the aft cabin........would you agree? I'd like to hear all the info you can share on the subject.

Old October 18th, 2002, 12:15 PM
RickJ

We had an AC on the Baja deck mid/forward. We were so spoiled by that minisuite that I cant imagine not having one each cruise!! You will LOVE it!! It's almost the size of an actual hotel room. Oh and the Jacuzzi tub........ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old October 19th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Mini-suite

The deck is bigger in an aft cabin than a side cabin. We really enjoyed that. The bathrooms offer two separate rooms. Sink and showe/bath in one and the stool and sink in the second room.
We also enjoy the view from the back of the ship. You will have a great time.
Old October 20th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Mini-suite

That's great to hear. I kind of figured even though you're seeing where you've been instead of where you're going you do get to see the panorama of both sides of the ship, as opposed to only the port or starboard views. It's reassuring to hear that my assumption was a good one.

Are some of the aft mini-suites better (larger/smaller) than others. In the deck plans, they all seem to have different layouts.....or do they differ much at all? Also, with an AB guarantee, what's the likelihood of getting upgraded to a suite? Not counting on that, but I also realize there are only (6) mini-suites to go around.

Thanks for your info.

Old October 20th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Passenger

That's what I'm talkin' about. You hear a lot of people with varying ideas on cabins and cabin size. These look and sound nice, and it's exciting to hear others say it was worth their money.

Thanks Rick

Old October 21st, 2002, 04:50 PM
Tonidee

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-suite

Hi there,
We had an AA aft on the Sea Princess in January. Actually the Monaco Suite...very nice. We saw an AB aft cabin and it was just as nice. I think that there was a slider, or at least a large window in the bedroom and living room. By far the very aft cabins are the best. Usually much bigger balconys and a great view. We are going on the Star Princess in 2 weeks and have booked the Grand Suite....1300 sq. ft....and looking forward to it. We saw it in March (did a 3 day on her) and actually met our room steward....our trip will be his last one before a little time off for him. As far as butler goes, there is none, but he will get us anything we need, so probably just as good as a butler.....we have very little demands!
Old October 21st, 2002, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-suite

Wow! 1300 sf. That's huge, and I'm sure quite luxurious. I envy you. I would tell you to enjoy yourself, but I have no doubt that you will. I think those that say you don't spend enough time in your cabin to be worth the money obviously have never had one of these cabins to know better.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old October 21st, 2002, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-suite

Take some pics of your suite and post them on here when you return. I would love to see them.

Enjoy!

Old October 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Tonidee

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini-suite

Rod,
Actually when we were on the Star in March a friend , that we had just met on the ship, took some digital pics and sent them to us via email. I can post the email address he gave us with the pics and see if you can get them that way. I am not experience on the computer enough to figure out how to download pics, but hopefully when we get back my daughter can help get them on the computer.
The Grand suite is quite luxurious, and we will be spending lots of time in it as we have been to the Mexican Riviera 6 times, and will probably not get off the ship. We can also have dinner served in our room for 8 people, and will do that one night! The suite has a 46 inch TV, computer, a shower with 9 nozzles!! We are very excited! The balcony is half the width of the ship , and a great view in the back of the ship.