Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal Night Dinning

How many of you actually wear a tuxedo (for the men) and a gown (for the women)?

For women: what type of dress/gown do you wear? I've heard alot of women wear black, do you have to wear black, or can you wear any color?
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:13 AM
kathym

Default Re: Formal Night Dinning

I like wearing gowns and there are a lot of them. I have never worn black. It just seems to be a popular color but there are many others. I just wear the sort of gown I'd wear for New Years back home, sometimes sparkly, sometimes plain, whatever you like. Yes, there are quite a few in their tuxedos and it looks so nice, but not a necessity..
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Formal Night Dinning

The last time my husband and I got dressed up was for our wedding, 5 years ago. He WANTS to get dressed up. I wanted to surprise him with the gown. He knows I'm buying one, but I didn't want him to see me in it, until that night. But every time I show him a dress in a catalog that I like, he doesn't like it, or thinks it wouldn't look good on me. I guess I'm going to have to take him with me. I can try on a bunch of dresses, then that way he won't know which ONE I am going to wear.
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Formal Night Dinning

my husband has a dark navy dress suit that he wears. If he had a tux he would wear that. I have worn, red, taupe w/black and navy. Keep it simple, elegant with a bit of sparkle and a slit!
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:10 AM
SharB

Hi!
My husband always wears a dark navy colored suit with a white shirt and navy blue tie for the Captain's dinner and a light colored shirt with coordinated tie for the other formal night. I vary with my gowns, but I definitely like to wear long ones! I have a nice light-weight black gown that packs really nice, and I usually bring it along, just in case I'm in the mood to wear it. I have a variety of other colors, including a teal/blue print, a satin red, and a royal blue.

Shar
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Shar - you have a lot of dress. You should rent them out. Make some money while on the cruise. hehehehe
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM
SharB

Great idea!
I went on eBay and found a bunch. I ended up with three beautiful ones for about $25 each. :o)
Old February 21st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

My fear is that they won't fit or look good. If I find a dress in person, try it on, then find it on the net, maybe. Of course, we don't sail until August, so all of the gowns will be on sale by June.
Old February 21st, 2003, 05:45 PM
Passenger

I just have to tell you all about the beautiful dress that I got for a bargain. It's styled a lot like the famous Marilyn Monroe white "air vent" dress. It's a deep puple and is a chiffon fabric. I'm going to wear black, strappy, open-toed heels with it. Get this - $20 at Dilliards! I love getting a great bargain!

Old February 21st, 2003, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I may try the place I got my bride's maids' dresses. Believe it or not, I got them at American Tuxedo. They were a deep purple, off the shoulder. I got them for $35 each!!! They were a discontinued style. I may see if they have any more discontinued styles for a good price!
Old February 21st, 2003, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Kelley,

I wore a dark (Navy) business suit on my first few cruises, then rented a white dinner jacket outfit for a couple cruises, then bought a white dinner jacket outfit of my own. Now that I own it, I obviously wear it!

Norm.
Old February 25th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Crowsie

My husband has a black double-breasted suit. In the days of semi-formal, he used to wear a white shirt and tie with his suit. Now, he wears the same suit for fomal night, but with a tuxedo shirt, stud set, cumberbund etc. You can't even tell the suit is not "techically" a tuxedo.
I have a variety of gowns..some long..some cocktail length..some satin..some rayon...one is styled like a tuxedo with fancy cuffs and the jacket has tails. Most are black, but that's my style!
I think that you can't get TOO formal for formal nights!
Crowsie
Old February 26th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Is it ok to wear the same gown for both formal nights? Since the first one is on the 2nd night and the other is on the last night. Back on land, I don't really have a need for 2 gowns.
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Hi again Kelley; your white pantsuit sounds fine. you might even add a sparkly shirt to it to match the trim. What color is the trim on your suit? you might want to match your shoes to that if its silver or gold, otherwise i would go with a pair of high-heeled strappy white sandals. As for the periwinkle dress - try it on and see if it knocks your socks off- its a great price, but if you don't love it you won't feel beautiful in it. As for wearing the same dress on both nights, i have not done it and none of the ladies in any of the groups we have gone with have done it, i wouldn't want you to be attacked by the cruise fashion police (teehee) I have a long navy-blue halter-style, cris-cross low back gown with crystals that i wear for the welcome aboard party, i usually go a little less formal shall we say for the other night - i have again a navy blue crepe dressy suit- its a sheath dress w/peplum jacket and rhinestone& gold buttons to add a little pizzazz to it. I wear dark sheer hose & heels with both outfits. hope this helped some.
Old February 26th, 2003, 05:49 PM
michael bouck

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Formal Night Dinning

I usually rent a tux from the on line cruise rental. I have no problem with the fit at all. I am taking a back to back on the next cruise in March so I will be bringing my suit with me also for the following week.

Mike
Old February 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Admiral

I alternate tux with dinner jacket on each of the formal nights. I also go to the dining room instead of the dinning room.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14