CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Golden Princess May17th (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/223947-golden-princess-may17th.html)

jobella May 3rd, 2003 01:21 PM

Golden Princess May17th

Is anyone else on this cruise?? We're in our mid-thirties and would like to meet up with some adventuresome people!! This is my first cruise and first time to Europe.

notdavidbailey May 5th, 2003 05:28 PM

Re: Golden Princess May17th

Hello!
At last I have found another passenger!!
My wife and I will be on the Venice/Barcellona cruise. Have you heard about the change of itinery?
NotDavid

jobella May 6th, 2003 12:14 AM

Re: Re: Golden Princess May17th

GOOD NEWS FOR YOU! THE CRUISE WILL BE STOPPING IN TURKEY!!! I CALLED AND CONFIRMED W/PRINCESS. I CAN'T WAIT. WHERE ARE YOU AND YOUR WIFE TRAVELING FROM?

WE'RE FROM ARIZONA. IN OUR MID 30'S. I'M 5 MONTHS PREGNANT WITH MY FIRST. THIS WILL BE LAST HURRAH.

JOELLA

Laura (UK) May 6th, 2003 03:49 AM

You will have a brilliant time, we did this itinerary in 2001 and loved it so much we are going back again this year.

Notbailey..... you will find others on your sailing on the Cruise Critic Boards, specifically the Princess Forum.

Joella..... make the most of your freedom - life will never be the same!!! That said, your life will only change for the better. "Mothers of teens know why some animals eat their young"..... I have three!!!

Laura

notdavidbailey May 6th, 2003 02:49 PM

Thanks for that Laura, I'll take a look.

Hi Joella, we hail from England. We are a little older than you, (I will be celebrating my 60th. Birthday during the cruise) but we have a mental age of 30something.
Are you sure that Turkey is back on the menu? Have Princess changed their mind??

Please visit http:/uk.photos.yahoo.com/notdavidbailey to find out what we have been up to recently.

Regards, NotDavid

jobella May 6th, 2003 03:35 PM

wE JUST CELBRATED MY MOM'S 60TH IN NYC. WE HAD A GREAT TIME AND YOU WILL TOO! YOU'LL HAVE A NICE BIG CROWD TO HELP BLOW OUT THOSE CANDLES!!

AND YES, I CONFIRMED, AGAIN, WITH PRINCESS TODAY. WE ARE DEFINATELY GOING TO TURKEY. ARE YOU DOING ANY SHORE EXCURSIONS? I'VE READ SO MANY THINGS ABOUT SEVERAL COMPANIES AND NOW I'M JUST PLAIN OLD CONFUSED. WE DID BOOK "GEORGE THE FAMOUS GREEK TAXI DRIVER" FOR ATHENS. ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTI0NS ABOUT THE STOPS WOULD BE HELPFUL. I WANT TO GET THINGS BOOKED BEFORE WE LEAVE.

JOELLA

jobella May 6th, 2003 03:40 PM

You're funny! We decided to go on this cruise to do exactly what you suggested-make the most of my freedom. Only w few more months of selfish me & us time.

Do you have shore excursion suggesions for Turkey & Italy? Since you've done this cruise before you may have had some good experiences you can share.

Thanks a lot

Joella

notdavidbailey May 6th, 2003 06:16 PM

Hello again,
We have not booked any "official" shore trips as we are happy to travel independantly. Istanbull and Athens are easy to do without joining an organised trip. After checking the 'net I also think that Pompey will be easy as it is very close to Naples. I read a review written by someone who had been on the cruise two years ago. For the visit to Florence they shared an air con. taxi with another couple, which worked out better value than the organised excursion, they were also taken to places off the tourist track. They also advised against going to Pisa as it is a tacky tourist trap.

Please note that the correct address for my photo album is:-
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/notdavidbailey

Regards, NotDavid

jobella May 6th, 2003 07:24 PM

I booked George in Athens because I've read such great things about hm and I wanted to see the non-tourist sites as well as the historical areas.

The others places I've read mixed notes. SOme say that to really see the marvels of Turkey, that taking a private tour is the way to go. The stops in Italy I think I can figure out on my own.

Regardless,it's going to be great and I'm very excited. That's for sharing your photo's. My father was Dutch and I enjoyed the shots from Holland.

Joella

notdavidbailey May 8th, 2003 11:48 AM

Hi Joella

I have e-mailed Ozer Esenkaya for cost of guided tour of Ephesus

NotDavid

jobella May 8th, 2003 07:44 PM

He emailed me directly. I have rates for both locations.

Here they are...based on two people...

Please find below total coast for two pax :

ISTANBUL

A/C Mercedes & English speaking guide 315 US$
A/C minivan & English speaking guide 215 US$

Lunch & entrance fee own payment

EPHESUS
Old 64 model American car, English speaking guide and Ephesus entrance fee 175 US$
If you like to go House of Virgin Mary will add '20 US$

The car & guide will be with you all day in Istanbul & Ephesus

Ozer

So...what do you think??

Joella

dougclk May 9th, 2003 10:08 AM

Hi,

You can check the itinerary and pricings at www.ephesustours.com for Turkey excursions.

I guess it contains helpful information on private excursions.

dougclk

notdavidbailey May 9th, 2003 01:12 PM

Hi Joella,

Considering that Princess charges only $56 per person for the Ephesus tour inc. house of Virgin Mary, Ozer's tour looks a little expensive. I understand that the climate around Ephesus can be hot with a certain amount of rough ground and I wonder whether you would prefer to go back to the ship after spending 4 hours or so there.

My Daughter was in Istanbul a couple of years ago and she reckons that you don't need a tour guide. Most of the places that you would like to see are fairly close together. (the grand bazaar is a no-no)We plan to get a taxi or ships shuttle (if they run one) into the city, and wander around as we please, possibly going back to the ship for lunch/snooze if we feel like it.

Perhaps Ozer would do the Ephesus tour for 4 pers for the price???

Regards,
NotDavid

nejat İncedogan May 9th, 2003 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Golden Princess May17th

Please note the Golden does not stay all day in Kusadası it is only half day.
Nejat İncedogan
Guide Lecturer

notdavidbailey May 9th, 2003 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Golden Princess May17th

Thanks for that Nejat.

NotDavid

Laura (UK) May 9th, 2003 04:34 PM

NotDavidBailey,

We took the Princess organised half day tour of Ephesus inc. house of Virgin Mary etc. back in 2001. We had a brilliant tour guide and whilst I'm glad I went, I have to admit I preferred Pompeii. In our case it was August, it was 'extremely' hot and everyone was wilting by the end of it. At the end we were dropped off by the shops (a short walk from the ship) in Kusadası and most of us (as you suggest) just wanted to get back to the ship.

Curious... why is the Grand Bazaar a "No No"? When we went before it was shut and I was planning a visit this time round, so would welcome any input.

Laura

notdavidbailey May 9th, 2003 05:29 PM

Hi Laura

The Grand Bazaar will not be on our itinery following our daughters advice which echoed comments in the Rough Guide to Europe.

I'm not afraid of getting into these places as I had my baptism of fire in Luxor some years ago, I can haggle with the best of 'em, but I am not on this cruise to go shopping. I would rather spend time in the historic parts of the city or eating kebabs.

ps logged onto the Cruise Critic site but couldn't find any fellow cruisers there, am I missing something?

Regards,
NotDavid

notdavidbailey May 10th, 2003 03:20 AM

Hi,
Have just received e-mail from Ozer stating that price is for up to 4 persons. This makes his offer a little better.

Laura (UK) May 10th, 2003 03:48 AM

NotDavid,

Here's the link to the Summer Med Cruises 2003, which details who is sailing with you.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/O...4&m=4823075317

If that doesn't work, by all means,send me an email... I tried yours and the mail was returned!!!.

Apologies to Cruisemates... don't want to steal your thunder by giving the above link... merely trying to help a fellow passenger find others on his cruise.

Laura

notdavidbailey May 10th, 2003 07:10 AM

Hi Laura,
Sorry about the returned mail. Just delete "nospam" from the address. I put this in prevent e-mail robots from sending unsolicited junk. Humans can usualy spot this and take it out. er...not suggesting that you are anything other than...!!!

I'll try the link to cruise critic and let you know how I get on

Regards,
NotDavid