Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Frank

Default Coral Panama Canal Just Back

We returned from the 15 day repositioning cruise of the Coral Princess from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco on May 8th. The ship is now on its way to Vancouver and then Alaska. Although this was not the initial inaugural cruise, we had many firsts on this ship. This was the first time it went entirely through the Panama Canal, it was the first time it was in the Pacific Ocean, it was the first time they flambe'd a dessert (Bananas Foster) and it was the firt time the Coral had the traditional Baked Alaska parade. In addition to these flaming items, they also had some pyrotechnics in some of their production shows.

Overall, the cruise was very enjoyable. It started out on a low note though. First of all, Princess still doesn't have its act together in treating its Platinum customers. They had one person embarking Platinums and they had as many as 3 people taking in specific decks. We looked at the long Platinum line and went in the Baja line instead. When I asked why the Platinum line was so poorly staffed, I was told that they were overwhelmed because there were over 300 Platinums on this cruise. Duh? If one knows that, they staff up appropriately. Similarly, the Captain's Circle cocktail party in the Universal lounge was overcrowded. About two thirds of the 1950 passengers were members. That being the case, they should have separate cocktail partys for the gold and the platinum - if Princess really appreciated the return business. The only value I've found to being Platinum is the free internet - it would have cost me about $300 in fees if not for that. But then, I probably would have used it more sparingly if I was paying for it. (G)

Our cabin B205 is an AA category. It is mostly covered but there are pipes running above the balcony where water condenses and drips on the occupants or on the table where food or drink might be. Also, this cabin is right where the bridge juts out and each morning the railing and part of the balcony are wet due to the window wipers that they run. There were screws missing from the cabinet door and molding on the balcony that needed repair. We were upgraded from an AD level but I wouldn't pay extra for this cabin. At least the mini-suites have tubs and decent spaced bathrooms. People constantly complained about how small the showers were for the rooms smaller than minis. Even the slim people complained.

Food and service started out downhill. Two couples at our table went to Sabatini's and mentioned this to the headwaiter there. It turned out that he was a friend of our head waiter and things changed instantaneously. We got the best service from there on out, including special meals and appetizers. We were shown the menu for the following night and if we didn't find anything we liked, we requested something else that was provided. One night I felt like roast chicken and what I got was immense, looked more like a small turkey. And it was delicious.

Got to run but I'll be glad to answer any questions. Yes, they do charge $1 for laundry, for dryer and for soap.
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Coral Panama Canal Just Back

Hi FRank,
Welcome back and thanks for your views on Coral Princess.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:06 PM
An Author

How can B205 be an AA category cabin? It seems that a cabin in the 200's would be awfully far forward to be the top of the mini-suite category??
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Coral Panama Canal Just Back

That's what Princess says it is. And it is designated that way on the deck plans.
Frank
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Frank

One other item that I didn't mention and I don't know if it is true for other Princess ships but they don't make cooked to order omletes in the Horizon court. I don't know if they stopped on the Sun class or other ships but the Coral doesn't do it. One can get an omelete in the dining room but I suggest they ask for double the normal ingredients because even the cheese was sparse in the regular offering.

At lunch, some waiters get lazy and try to take your dessert order with your main entree. They aren't supposed to do that. When they try, I tell them I'll decide later and that puts a stop to it. I asked the head waiter about this and was told they are not supposed to be doing this.
Frank
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Coral Panama Canal Just Back

If anyone is interested, I posted photos of our trip at the Nikon web site. However, most of these photos are of people and places and not much of the ship as that has been done at another web site. But if one is interested, here is the info:

To get there, simply click the address below and you'll be sent directly to
my
NikonNet photo album:

http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/co...HO=memberguest

If that doesn't work, go to www.nikonnet.com, and click the "Albums" button.
Then log in using the following information:

Login ID: franknca@earthlink.net
Guest password: nikoneditor_329096121

This does not work for some people that have their cookies blocked. Even I couldn't access using the second method, but the first worked for most people.
Frank
Old June 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Frank

1. I am was told that the layout of the AA cabins on the Coral / Island is different to the AB cabins. Also, loking at the deck layouts the AA rooms seem to be bigger. As a man how has been there so to speak, are these statements true? I was looking at an AA in the fall but have been persuaded that an AB mid-ships is better (This is where the AA cabins are on the Grand ships which we have sailed on several times.

2. Welcome your comments.
Old June 1st, 2003, 08:40 PM
Frank

The motion we felt on the Coral was felt all over the ship. It is difficult to describe. It is not an up and down motion one might expect from swells but rather a side to side motion. Reminded me of what one sometimes feels in a low grade earthquake - about a 3 on the Richter scale.

That being said, the motion didn't bother me and since it wasn't an up and down thing, it didn't seem to bother those that normally have motion problems.

I can't say what the other AA/AB cabins might be, I just know this one had those pipes over the balcony that sweated and the water on the balcony that seemed to come from the bridge windshield wipers. It was nice not having another balcony on one side but that was offset by the bridge being able to look right down on us.
Frank