Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM
KItty Cruiser

Default Recommended Travel Insurance

I know this subject has been discussed before, but can't find it now. Can someone recommend the best value travel insurance? I am just going on a 7 day cruise on princess to Mexico. Though I am not partiicpating in high risk sports, I may have a medical issue which I may want transportation back home.
Any recommendatioms of Insurance names?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:40 AM
Frank

Default Re: Recommended Travel Insurance

Too bad you didn't ask sooner as some of them have no pre-conditions if one purchases their insurance within 14 days of making their deposit on the cruise. I use Trave Insured International (http://www.travelinsured.com) but I also understand that AAA is good and reasonable too.
Frank-in-CA
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kitty,
Here is an article on travel insurance, with some companies to check and I'd also check CSA:
http://www.csatravelprotection.com/csa/jsp/index.jsp
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../insurance.cfm

Hopefully you'll find the right policy that meets your needs, enjoy your cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Kitty,

Though I am not partiicpating in high risk sports, I may have a medical issue which I may want transportation back home.
Any recommendatioms of Insurance names?

First, check your regular medical insurance plan to see what coverage it provides if you are travelling in a foreign country. You may well find that you are already covered or that you can buy a "piggyback" policy at very nominal cost.

If medical evacuation is a major concern, Princess's "Travel Care" or "Travel Care Gold" may well be your best option.

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:05 AM
KItty Cruiser

Default Re: Re: Recommended Travel Insurance

Thank you all for responding. This board is the best. I've learned so much
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Peabodynvl

I think Princess Travel Care is a bit expensive if you the main reason you are using it is for the possibility of medical evacuation. As Frank pointed out, if you buy insurance within 14 days of your booking, most good insurance policies will cover pre-existing conditions and also cover evacuation.

We have Global Alert and it covers up to $25,000 medical and you can get extra coverage to go up to $50,000. We are two women, under 55, trip cost between $1000-$1500 and 7 days. Premium is $49 (versus $99 for Princess). Extra coverage would be a total of $64. This does not cover cancelling the trip for any reason as Princess' insurance does (up to 75% on regular and 90% on Gold).

Pea
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Frank

Pea:
Also, if one is a member of AAA and has their Plus membership, it too covers up to $25,000 in medical evacuation costs.
Frank
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Peabodynvl

Frank -

That is good to know! My boyfriend has AAA for us, but I don't think we have the Plus membership. I go for the regular travel insurance because I have a few ailments I suffer from (digestive disorders, etc) and one just never knows. My health insurance is hardly worth the paper it's printed on, so it will not cover me outside the country...it hardly wants to cover me outside the state without any hassle.

Pea
Old June 20th, 2003, 05:30 PM
SF Sharon

Some, maybe most, HMO's and other health insurers cover medically necessary doctor and hospital visits outside the country. You should contact your medical plan here before you travel and ask if they have a "travel kit" (usually forms, description of coverage, a return envelope). Get a couple of them to take with you, so that if you should require treatment, you can have the foreign doctor or medical facility fill out the form as needed. You would pay for whatever treatment you receive in the foreign country, and then submit all receipts and the signed form to your health insurance provider. Medical treatment in foreign countries is usually less costly than it is here, by the way.

American embassies and consulates keep lists of English-speaking doctors in each country.
Old June 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM
wendyS

We're also using the Global Alert plan for our upcoming Alaska cruise. It was the best rate we found (we're mid 40s). We found it at http://www.travelproservices.com
Old June 21st, 2003, 07:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

WRONG!!! Most HMO's cover didly outside the continental USA. We were not even cover in Alaska with Humana or are my kids with Blue cross Illinois. Check out www.insuremytrip.com. With hubby's pre existing problems and parents of 80+ we have bought this coverage for 11/02 and 6/03. Luckily never used it but almost did as MIL died 3 weeks before our 6/1 trip.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 01:20 AM
SF Sharon

I wouldn't know about Humana or Blue Cross. My coverage is with with another HMO, and it covered me just fine when I was studying in Europe. I confess that my problem was not large, and neither were the charges, but there wasn't the slightest question regarding the paperwork I submitted to the health plan, and I was reimbursed quickly upon my return.
I called prior to a cruise about a year or two ago to see if they ever paid for medical evacuation. I was told that if it was medically necessary (determined by a doctor, not an insurer), they would certainly do so.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:05 PM
SF Sharon

By the way, the subject of "pre-existing conditions" isn't something you need to consider if your primary health plan covers you.
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Frank

>By the way, the subject of "pre-existing conditions" isn't something you need to consider if your primary health plan covers you.<

Why not? You are considering more than just health care costs with cruise insurance. What if a pre-condition causes you to cancel or interupt your cruise?
Frank-in-CA