Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Default Tipping Questions

Hi guys and gals,

We are going on Golden on Oct 25th and I had a few questions.

I prefer to do my own tipping personally instead of the automated tipping.. Can this
be deducted from your bill? How do most tip the waiters when doing the personal choice dining since you have a different waiter nightly?

Thanks,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping Questions

I just pay the tipping billed on the onboard expense account. This kind of tipping was instituted because of personal choice dining. It just makes sense:Who wants to go around tipping every waiter, every busboy, etc.? Vacations are far too valuable to be messing with small change all day long, every day. It's nice to leave your wallet in the safe and just carry your onboard credit card for drinks and other expenses. Drinks will be charged 15% gratuity at time of purchase anyway. This process makes things so much easier and there is much less chance of losing money or theft that way.

Extra good service can be rewarded by a courteous smile and thank you. If you feel it is earned, give extra money to those deserving at the end of the week if you wish. I only tip room service during the week but I have, on occasion given extra to the cabin steward if he or she went way out of their way to provide something, such as lounge chairs on the patio, extra wine glasses each day, etc.
Old August 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Tipping Questions

I left the $10.00 a day tip on the bill and then gave an additional tip to my Cabin Steward and one waiter that we really liked and had made reservations to sit at his table more then once during the trip.
Old August 9th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping Questions

You can go to the purser's desk and have all automatic tips removed from your bill. Then later you can get vouchers - charged to your account - for those you wish to tip and in the amount you want and pass them out on the last night. As I understand it, no matter what you do, the tips are shared - at least in the dining room.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Tipping Questions

>As I understand it, no matter what you do, the tips are shared - at least in the dining room.<

My understanding is yes and no as far as Princess goes. Yes, they are all shared even if you remove them from your bill and hand them direclty to the individual. Supposedly they are honor bound to turn them in for sharing with the potential for being fired if they don't. However, if one allows the $10/day/pp charge anything over that given to the various individuals is theirs to keep. I don't know how Princess polices this or how the service people know that a gratuity has been charged to your cabin. But that's what the service people told us.
Frank-in-CA