Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Yeoman

Default Help, should I switch ships!?

Hi We are booked on the new ship the Caribbean Princess for may 15th but on checking around I can PAY LESS for a balcony cabin on the Golden in Jan. or Feb. than for my outside fully obstructed in May. Of course we are hoping for an upgrade( which I know you can't ever count on) on the Caribbean, but being a new ship how likely is it to not be fully booked? ( therefore no upgrade).
We were on the Grand four years ago ( when it was fairly new) and LOVED it, I guess my question is "is the Golden as nice or nicer than the Grand, and are they EXACTLY the same"?
Should we ave money and book sooner or wait and see if the prices come down on the /new ship?
It would be nice to actually book a balcony and not have to wonder if we will get upgradedUGH what to do , what to do, any suggestions needed! Thanks
P.S. same ports of call on both ships
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Help, should I switch ships!?

Take the balcony or if you can swing an AD mini suite, do so. Cabins E728 & E729 have a balcony almost double the normal size of mini suite balconies. There is room for two lounge chairs, four dining chairs and a dining table plus space to spare. This extra space doesn't show up on ship maps but the extra space extends around the support structure for the disco because the cabins are farthest aft on port and starboard sides of the ship. These balconies are covered not exposed like the AA AB & AC mini suites.

Just a thought!
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM
susancruzs

I would probably go on the Golden now and wait for the Caribbean. I would think the prices will come down after the first year she sails. The Golden is very nice and from what I hear, not quite identical. I've been looking at pictures because I'm on the Grand for a longer cruise in Europe next year so I was curious! :-)

The Golden has a lighter, more open atrium, with a central staircase as well as elevators, and it isn't as dark as the Grand. For a big ship, I thought the Golden was great! I was on as a single at T-time with all those families and kids, didn't bother me one bit. Hardly noticed crowds anywhere, a few times for checking out photos, or a slight line in the buffet but nothing serious.

Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll get others!

Susie
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Toto

Default Re: Re: Help, should I switch ships!?

They seem to charge top prices for these new ships.....................I would go for the balcony definitely, then you can pray the upgrade fairy shines down on you. Nothing beats the idea of knowing that you will have a balcony.
As for the E728 & E729, have sailed in E729 and have E728 booked for November 1st for 26 days on the Star. Definitely a great balcony in those mini suite cabins.
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Passenger

I'd say book the January or February trip. Life is short and you never know what will happen in the future. Plan the good times earlier rather than later.

Also, you'll have a better time in a Balcony cabin than in an inside room. (I warn you, though, once you've travelled in a Balcony cabin, you'll never want to go back to an inside room.)

And, if you have the vacation time and the Caribbean Princess has bargains, you might be able to go again.

That's what has happened to us. We take many more cruises than we used to because we shop for bargains.

Roberta
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for everyones advise, we are now seriously considering changing our booking.
Money is a big factor and it really doesn't make sense to pay more and get less, just to enjoy that "new car smell", lol .