Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:01 PM
John Peterson

Default Princess STAR questions....

I am going to cruise this december for the first time for my honeymoon. My wife and I are 25 years old. I have purchased a cabin on the Aloha deck with a balcony. Can anyone give me any pro's and con's about this ship or room? I welcome all comments.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
SharB

Default Re: Princess STAR questions....

Hi John!
First of all, congratulations!
I believe you've picked one of the best of the BEST cruiseline :o)

Star is beautiful and the only negatives I can think of are 1 - her size. It takes a LOT of walking to get anywhere and 2 - the standard cabins will be small compaired to hotel rooms.

I'm so glad you got a balcony, where is it located (forward, mid-ship, or aft)? You'll feel a lot more motion to the front of the ship. BUT! As big as she is, it shouldn't be a problem.

Positives? Beautiful ship with lots of private areas to sit and chat, the option of Personal Choice dining (especially nice if you and your new wife prefer to eat alone) - wonderful stage productions, some of the best dining, and a very attentive staff.

Shar
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Admiral

The Star is great in every way. You may have some noise from the stacking of deck chairs at odd hours if you are mid-ship on the "A" deck. We were on the "D" deck and had the farthest aft mini suite D-732 which had a gigantic deck because of being last in the row. The deck extended around the super structure for the disco. We had room for a table, four chairs, two lounges and still had room to walk around on the deck. It was a fantastic cabin.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:12 AM
John Peterson

thanks Shar, the room I am booked in is A601 on the Aloha deck. Is this a good spot?
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM
SharB

John,

If you look at the deck plans for the Lido deck, you'll see that there will be a lot of activity over head with the deck chairs around the pool and the Horizon court. If you two plan on getting up early, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone else out there in Cruisemate-land can speak from personal experience (?!) I'm a light sleeper and have had problems with chairs being dragged around on other ships.

The good part of being on Aloha deck is the accessibility to all the activities on Lido. I just don't know how well insulated the ceilings are :o(

If possible, you might want to consider going down one more deck to Baja. Just a thought...
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM
SharB

By the way...there's another post re Aloha decks, if you haven't you might want to read the comments! They sound mostly positive.

Shar
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Linda Kwiecien

We sailed on the Star two years ago and loved it. It was our second cruise on Princess and nine other cruises on other lines. We absolutely love Princess the best. In fact, we are booked next Feb on the Caribbean Princess. Fresh water pools, food, service, entertainment, etc. are far better than any other in my eyes.
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Passenger

We have been on the Star twice and loved it. We would not hesitate to do it again. We had a minisuite (AA on the Dolphin) and the fact that our balcony was "exposed" did not bother us in the least. We loved Sabatini's for dinner, did not try it for brunch. The only drawback was that it was hard to get a lounge on at sea days---lots of people saving chairs, etc. The gym and spa were also great.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Again, as a traditional diner, I'd never sail another Grand class ship again. On the Star, traditional diners were relegated to the Amalfi Dining room, farthest aft on the ship and located such that one can not reach it without going up and down a flight of stairs. Or else they can take one of only two elevators that go to this location. Making it harder to get an elevator is the fact that these are also the only two that also go all the way to the 17th deck. There are no restrooms outside the Amalfi, so if one needs a break, they have the stairs to contend with. Early diners are treated to tremendous noise and vibrations when leaving port.

It probably would have been good exercise to climb those steps but my wife was experiencing mobility problems and this was not an easy restaurant to get to.
Frank-in-CA
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:33 PM
Passenger

We were in E705 on the Star and A626 on the Golden. I loved the Aloha balcony, but we saved a ton of money by getting the obstructed view for our Alaskan cruise.

We never had a problem with noise from the Horizon Court. I loved that our balcony did not have anyone above it. We had one of the great Caribe balconies on the Grand. I felt a little exposed if we were on the uncovered part (not that we were doing anything out there that people should not have seen).

We did not mind the location of the Amalfi dining room--in fact, it was great for our location. I do see how it would be a problem for people who needed to use the elevators instead of the stairs.

The old brunch at Sabatini's was great. Unfortunately, Princess has discontinued that menu and now serves the dinner menu for brunch on sea days.