Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Default Panama Canal Best Time??

When would be the best time to cruise the Panama Canal, several cruises are offered both in Jan. and April. Considering this for 05. The ships we are thinking about are the Coral Princess or Brillance of the Seas (RCCL). Any comments are welcome. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Panama Canal Best Time??

DH and I did a Panama Canal Cruise in April of 03.
It was very very hot (105)especially during the Canal Crossing. I don't know how much cooler it would be if you went during Jan or Feb.
On the flip side is the Mexican Coastline...Puerto Vallarta, Matazlan, and Cabo were nicer in April than when we did a Mexican Riviera Cruise a few years ago in Jan.
It was a little cool in that area while cruising. When you got off the ship in ports it was warmer.
I probably wasn't much help...maybe someone else can tell you if it would be a little cooler in the Canal area in Jan.
One thing nice about going in April is you don't have to worry as much about travel conditions due to bad weather. I don't know if that would apply to you...but being from Michigan it is usually a concern for us. January would probably be cheaper though.
Now that I probably totally confused you....Good Luck
Carrie
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:22 AM
Admiral

We did a trans canal crossing in February and it was very hot going thru the canal, very very humid and oppressive, you can't stay outside for very long. The islands we visited were very warm and nice. We always fly down a day before departure when we cruise - we are from New England.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:16 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the input. We saw the TA yesterday and this is so strange. For RCCL in Jan. the oceanview is cheaper than in April and the balcony is cheaper in April rather than in Jan. We like both rooms so it would be when to go. We are from PA so our winters can be tricky. We are going toward April. Then thinking Hawaii too, so lots to think about. Our first Princess cruise is 5/23/04 so maybe we should cruise Princess before we decide on a ship, I do like RCCL a lot. Thanks again.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:56 PM
Here....Again

We went in March, which was great in Central America, but alittle cool in the water in the Caribbean. It was worth it to be in C. A. in the dry season, and we just toughed out the cold water.

I didnt' go to the canal on Coral Princess, but I've been elsewhere, and it's my favorite ship.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Dale C

We just went through the canal this past January and I would reccommend January. It was warm, probably low 90's but bearable. Our crew had warned us how hot it would be but we really didn't think it was that bad at all. I would think that April would be very hot and the sun would be much more intense. Also, January is in the middle of the dry season so it is not quite as humid.
We came down the west coast of Mexico from Los Angeles and it was cool until we got to Cabo San Lucas. After that, the temperature was very nice and warm.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:24 PM
davidkade

Did the Coral Princess Roundtrip to the Canal in March. The weather was perfect (maybe we were lucky). The higest temp was 88F. The lowest was about 70F.

BTW, Princess really has their act together for this cruise.