Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Tom and Darlene

Default Alaska Excusions

We really would like to see-
The Whales
Train Ride
Dog Sled

any recommendations on the best?

Diamond Aug 28!!!!!![
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Excusions

Whale watching out of Juneau- humpbacks close to 100% of the trips, orcas much less so. I like and have gone with Orca Enterprises. Only one train ride - White Pass RR out of Skagway, if all day in port consider the pm train so to be able to get to the Park Service visitor center first- will really enhance your later train ride. located at Broadway and Second. Sit on the left side of the train facing the engine. dog sledding- what kind??? A glacier dog sledding is a top tour and no comparism to the carts on wheels. Consider booking direct out of Skagway www.temscoair.com Juneau glacier dog sledding is the most canceled of Alaska excursions- Skagway slightly less so. You can do a combo whale/glacier dog sled- makes much better use of time with Orca and Coastal helicopter.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Korey

Juneau, is the best port for whales. Allen Marine is one of the major companies in Juneau. They do the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest, Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest, and the Evening Wildlife Quest.
The train is amazing. Any of the routes are great.
Dogsledding, as great as it sounds can be a bit of a let down. More often then not it gets weather cancelled. It is a ton of money and really you do not get much for it. I personally would recommend the Northstar heli hike. It is so much fun and really an adventure of a life time. But, if you are dead set on the dogs, Temsco does it in Skagway and Era does it in Juneau. Aug is pretty late in the season. If it is a warm summer; there may not be enough snow to sled. Just a little heads up.
Have fun!
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Beginner

If you can I would recommend a glacier dog sledding tour. The Juneau glacier dog sledding does get cancelled allot due to bad weather. I was supposed to go on that tour but unfortnuatly it got cancelled because of bad weather so we went on one of the other helicopter tours.

In Skagway I went on the all day White Pass railroad and it was really nice. You can get allot of really nice pictures there.

The day we were in Glacier Bay it was very beautiful and we were able to see allot of whales there in the late evening.

I have been to Alaska twice the first year I took the inside passage, and the second we took the Voyage of Glaciers Cruise and took the land tour also.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Hi Tom and Darleen,

The best thing I have ever done is the dog sled / helicopter tour out of Juneau. I booked with Princess. It was wonderful, no crowds, 5 pax, 1 whole hour with the dogs and puppies. Just loved it. The helicopter flight was a treat, and the pilot wonderful, gave us a little extra and thrills - best tour ever. Highlight of my entire trip.

Train - we found it boring - slept most of the way.

Whales - spent most of our time whizzing across the bay looking for whales and when the capt found them it was a crush to the sides to see them and get photos, definately not worth it for us. We live on the coast of Australia and get better views of the migrating humpbacks from the beach. But if this is on your must do list, you may have better luck than we did.

We spoke with a couple on the train and the brown bear trip out of Juneau also got rave reviews.

Good luck and have fun with the puppies, I am jealous. In fact, I will go and watch my video now. Memories ah!!!!!.

Mich
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Rick and Jan

I have to agree with Mich. We also found the train/bus to the Yukon to be too long and a little on the boring side. We would've like to have had more time to spend in Skagway.We're doing it differently this year with the bear excursion in Ketchikan, dog sledding in Juneau and whale watching in Skagway, all are only 3 hour tours that will leave us some time to explore the towns