Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM
DICK STEIN

Default Diamond Damaged in Victoria

The Diamond Princess was damaged docking in Victoria and was late getting into Seattle. Two port on this weeks cruise, Juneau and Victoria were canceled. Pictures can be seen in photo gallery taken by Linda from balcony of Osterdam. Are we going to have to send some Captains back to docking school? I hope they get it right before I sail.

on the Sapphire Princess
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Diamond Damaged in Victoria

So they went ahead and sailed anyways? I was on the cruise when the diamond hit the dock and when we disembarked it didn't look like they were going to go ahead with the cruise this week...
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to wonder4
Default Re: Re: Diamond Damaged in Victoria

Do you know if the cruise went out this week?

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Passenger

I thought that the Captain turns over the docking to the Harbor Master (or whatever they are called)... you know, the guys who you see driving in their little boat up to the big ship, then the guy boards and then the ship "parks". Am I not right in my thinking?
Janelle

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Shelly U.

Yes, you are correct that the Captain turns over the ship to the Harbor Pilot. However, the Captain at any time can use his common sense and decide to turn back if he thinks that his ship cannot handle the adverse conditions. Here's where his experience with his ship comes into play (or lack of). This was only the 2nd time this ship was in Victoria and the 1st time (the previous week) the weather was perfect. The Captain should know best what his ship is capable of. I would have loved to be a fly on the bridge to see what transpired between the Captain and the Harbor Pilot...hehe.

As far as if the Diamond went ahead with it's cruise? Apparently it did. If you go onto Princess's Home Page and go to the Bridge Cams, it is currently showing a picture from the bridge as it's enroute to Skagway.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:22 PM
uncmarts

The harbor is never in physical control of the ship. He is responsible for guiding the ship through his directions into port.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:51 AM
ZVTG

Default Diamond Damaged in Victoria

The Diamond Princess is skipping two calls on its current Alaska itinerary due to minor propeller damage. The ship was in Victoria, British Columbia, May 21 when strong winds forced the ship against a finger pier, a spokeswoman said. Inspection teams found some "superficial scraping" to the hull and some minor scraping of the starboard propeller. The ship was repaired when it arrived at its Seattle homeport May 22, but the ship was delayed leaving port and, as a result, will miss its calls in Victoria and Juneau. Passengers on the cruise were given a $500 per cabin onboard credit. Divers are onboard to do another propeller inspection in Skagway, but the spokeswoman said the ship "is not scheduled to be out of service."
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Mookie

I was supposted to be at the Princess Diamond 5/21-5/29 for our honeymoon. The morning before we are heading to the port we saw the local news about the ship accident. So we decided to call princess and they said they didn't hear anything about the accident and they were about to find out more while we were still on the phone. ( Bad communication between Princess and Princess) Later they told us that it may be delay for just a few hour ..Well those few our turned to be 7hours. ( they send 2,500 people from the port to the seattle center they all sit on the floor waiting to see what's going on)
finally we got back to the ship and nobody was greeting us or apologized for the delay etc which I found it surprised. After we had been waiting for 7 hours our luggages still didn't arrived.
Around 10pm I am sure alot of people went to sleep or rest after a long day wait . We decided to walk around the ship as we walked out the room we saw they were placing the new itenary ( guess what's the surprise !!!!!!! They decided to cancel two ports Juneau and Victoria and spend 3 days at the sea since the boat wasn't completely fixed and can't go any faster) Instead all they offered was $500 ship credit per cabin ..I mean $500 credit ?? buying pictures or get drunk with that credit?
So we decided to go to the front desk to complain as we heading down we saw 500 other angry passangers complaining about the situation somehow the supervisor of the ship said the president had decided that's was their only decision and deal with it.
Somehow we managed to negotiate again to see if they come up with a better solution.
An hour later they told us for those who decide to leave the ship they will get the full refund plus hotel and airfare arrangement.
So we were one of the few hundreds decided to leave the boat it was already 3am and the boat still at the port..... after we got back from the hotel next morning we called princess for our fly arrangement and again they didn't know anything about it ( More Bad communication) so we decided to do our own fly arrangement and mail them back .I am sure they can't denied the claim even they didn't gave us anything on writting but we have passangers caught everything on video for prove.
Also another thing that broke my heart when I saw the boat worker refused to help an older lady with her luggages..I undertand the management is bad but the people that work there are as bad.
I was so dissapointed the way they handle the situation. I just think isn't fair for us that all they offer us is to travel3 days at the sea with only $500 ship credit per cabin ? while we had paid the full price for this trip ,waste the entire year planning , took time off from work, spend the money on the airfare and hotel , wait the entire day before we get into the ship. Unfortunatly half of the passangers from ship didn't know what's going on until the next morning.
Wait until they are back tomorrow and you will hear more about it!!!!
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
First Mate

Ports get cancelled all the time. I find it amazing that people would choose to disembark in the middle of the night after browbeating the staff into allowing such, then complain that no one was available to help book flights and hotels. Was Princess' local staff supposed to anticipate that 200 whiners would suddenly disembark at 2 AM?

You are correct in one sense, it's going to be interesting when this cruise disembarks and people return to their computers. I can hear it now, "My vacation was ruined..." Puh-leeze!
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
pg

You got off the ship in the middle of the night?!? Well, as CruisinOkie said ports get cancelled all the time. I think you overreacted. Just my opinion.
And a 500 dollar credit isn't bad, what , you wanted a free cruise. !?!

Travel is not for the faint of heart, a true traveller learns that things do happen, and try to enjoy the experience as it unfolds. Perhaps this is not true for cruisers( some) who choose to cruise as a " safe" travel option.

No one was hurt, they did give a generous credit( which by the way could have been used for shore excursions which in Alaska tend to be exspensive, and your cabin and the rest of the ship were fully usable( as opposed to some crusiers who have had to deal with backed up toilets, flooded cabins, etc on other " disasterus cruises")
Well it sure sounded like a bad honey moon to me, mind you , you could have just gone to your cabin, ordered a bottle of champane and celebrated the start of an adventure!
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Passenger

I was on the ship as well. I heard that the ship wasn't damaged like they thought, and they were able to leave. I do know that it isn't all of the captains fault when they dock. There is someone that is on shore that directs. I guess it was a bad call by all. It was very disappointing for our family because my grandmother was one of the patients on board that they let off in Victoria, only to have her treated badly by the hospital staff and let go at 4:00 am! Read my be aware post.
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Rick McCusker

Me and the wife were aboard the Diamond Princess 5-15 to 5-22 for our 30th anniversary. It was our first cruise, so we were just dazzled the entire time. Well, let me clarify that statement - it was her first cruise, and my first one to Alaska aboard a big white one that didn't say "Coast Guard" on the side. The best part - not being shaken by a boatswain's mate of the watch saying - "Get up, you gotta go on watch" in the middle of the night.

That said, the Pilot guides the ship into the harbor, but his/her responsiblity ends there. It's the Captain's job to get the ship to the pier, since he is supposed to be familiar with the ship and its handling characteristics. There is NO one on shore telling the Captain what to do - he's ultimately responsible for the safe handling of the vessel.

As for compensation for the missed visit to Victoria, no word from Princess or anyone else on the subject. We had flight arrangements we made on our own with Alaska Airlines, so changing to a later flight was not a problem.

Sailing the ship with one propeller "damaged" aka not working, is foolish in my humble opinion. That's the reason we had a tug following us to Seattle from Victoria. It appears that Princess didn't want to lose their shirt by canceling future cruises, so they went out anyway.

When we arrived in Seattle, I was surprised to see the "warehouse" empty. I thought for sure they were going to go to drydock and fix it. However, I do believe they wanted to get the outgoing passengers seperated from the incoming so they would compare notes.
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Beginner

I was also on the Diamond with my family from 5-15 to 5-22 and even though we technically missed "1/4" of our vacation (Victoria), I still had a great time. I can definitely see why people would be upset about missed ports, but at the same time I would agree that traveling - even cruises - doesn't always follow the master plan. Personally, all those mistakes (lining up for 4 hours to embark, lining up for an hour to disembark in Juneau and hitting the pier in Victoria) just made the trip even more memorable. Luckily, our flights in and out of seattle were booked the day before and day after the cruise, so we were not affected by the flight delay (to seattle) and cruise delay (returning to seattle).

I was actually surprised the Diamond went ahead with the 5-22 to 5-29 cruise. When I didn't see a line at the pier, I assumed they cancelled.
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Admiral

People should always read the fine print on their cruise brochures. The cruise lines are quite limited in their responsibilities when there are necessary changes in itinerary.Princess probably did about as good as could be expected to do. Had the damage been greater these people wouldn't have visited any ports.

I've had itinerary changes and gotten no compensation and I still enjoyed my cruise, despite a few minor disappointments.
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Didn't they say that the damage wasn't as bad as appeared? Isn't that why they left again for Alaska? I don't think they would have left it there was a considerate amount of damage. I do however feel that people should be compensated for not being able to go to a port.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Diamond Damaged in Victoria

My husband is in Marine construction, and I guess they had divers go in and check the damage on the ship. It was fixable and they were given the ok by the coast guard to continue. They can't just go on a voyage without coast guard consent. Also, the pilot gets onto a tug and also helps make the decision as to bringing the ship in to dock. I guess they make bad calls as well. I know the wind picked up pretty fast.
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Robert Tuttle

At least you got of off the boat. I stayed and it only got worse. The Engines would not start in Skagway, and we were an hour and a half late setting sail. And a Viruse broke out on the boat. we were told we were going to make Victoria. We did but we only got to see it from a distance. This was one of the worst cruise I have been on. Which upsets me beacuse I expect the best from Princess, having been on them before and loved it. I felt they had the best. but after dealing with the rude staff (not all of them). It left a bad taste for Princess.
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:18 AM
First Mate

Thanks, Mookie and Napo, for making me feel so good about myself. I don't live in Seattle and I don't work for Princess.

Stuff happens when you travel. You do your best to roll with it and make the best of it. There was so much that we could have complained about after our first cruise that had I been of the disposition I could have been quite uncomplimentary. But, we had a great time, had excellent service, met wonderful people, and ended up booking our second cruise on board.

The person most responsible for how much you enjoy your cruise (or any other experience) is staring back at you in the mirror. Walking out on a honeymoon cruise in the wee hours doesn't bode well for the rest of your marriage - if you can't handle the small stuff, what will you do when something big happens?
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Passenger

i was on the 5/22 sailing. yes, embarkation was delayed because of the ship being damaged. yes, we had to wait most of 5/22 in the convention center. but my husband and i were onboard by 7pm, having a lovely dinner by 8pm, spent the evening finding our way around the ship, then unpacked. we witnessed the midnight hissy-fit of a few hundred passengers. the truth is that princess offered a full refund if passengers wanted to disembark or a $500 per cabin credit if they stayed. if you read your cruise documents you would know that they didnt have to do that. we were not thrilled by the way this all started out, but ya know, stuff happens. and there are worse places to be stuck than on a beautiful cruise ship. we are so happy that we stayed on the ship. i just cant imagine leaving the ship, trying to find a hotel in the middle of the night, and spending the next day arranging airfare home, and dealing with the disappointement of a cancelled vacation.
so what if we sailed an hour and a half late out of skagway. the town was all closed up by 7pm anyway. we had a fabulous dinner, talked to some friendly people, and enjoyed the evenings entertainment.
i cant understand people who blew off a wonderful week because it started off a little rocky. if that's not a lesson for honeymooners, i dont know what is. btw, we celebrated our 20th anniversary on this cruise.
i was diappointed by missing juneau, but we just changed our excursion in ketchikan to a more expensive choice. the food was great, the service was wonderful. so we had an extra day at sea, is that so terrible? i think the people that got off the ship way over reacted. we had a fabulous time and i would definitely sail princess again to alaska or anywhere else.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Passenger

oh, and regarding the noro virus. as soon as it was discovered, the captain made an announcement, and a letter was sent to each stateroom. the crew immediately started disinfecting the ship, constantly but discreetly wiping down handrails, tables, etc. the buffet was manned by waiters serving the food so that no passenger was allowed to handle food or serving utensils. the situation was immediately contained and no one heard anything else about it for the duration. other passengers told us that a japanese passenger arrived on the ship with the virus and that's how it got onboard, but it was immediately dealt with. i think it was handled in a most professional manner.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:35 PM
First Mate

I guess I've been told! .

Suz, I appreciate your comments. I'm glad you could enjoy your cruise.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM
First Mate

And just to add, there's no defense for me, but PG is one of the most eminently fair-minded people who posts anywhere. I take offense that you would try to besmirch someone with such august character through association with me.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:54 PM
DICK STEIN

When I did this post it was to provide information. I did not anticiapte the firestorm to follow. I have 31 cruises in the last 15 years including Alaska 5 times. I am on the Sapphire princess on 6/13 for my 15th princess cruise. In 1997 I did a segment of a world cruise out of SF on the Oriaina. The ship got in 7 hours late due to bad seas and fog. We sat at the dock for 7 hours and no one told us our status. They finally stated embarking passengers at 7 PM and we were underway at 9 PM. We got to Hawaii on time by the captain opening up the throttle. I never even wrote to complain about this. Two Alaska cruises ago on HAL we were supposed to go to Sitka. The weather was bad and the captain took us to Misty Fyords instead. The sister HAL ship went to Sitka and the passenger were sick for two days. Cruises do not come with guarantees. We are responsible for our own happiness. If you did not enjoy your cruise I will enjoy mine. I have weathered hurricanes, bring it on. Have a good day.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004
Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002,
Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997
1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Passenger

We were on the Diamond 5/22 also. IF you were in the room and found out you could get off and a FULL refund, then that is your choice, but for others in thier rooms, they were not told there was such an option. IF I had known we would have gotten off and rebooked later in the year. OUr room was dirty, left over ice and food in the refrig., there were clothing tags in the drawers, and pool towels only once. We asked repeatedly for fresh towels and nothing. Room service is ONLY what is in the reference book in the room, we were not allowed to order anything at all of any menu. The Sterling Steakhouse would not get us a table when there were 70, yes 70 open spots inside, a nice couple said give them our table we leaving. She was so mad for us, AND those 70 seats, only 10 got filled. I know I was in the back corner, where I could see the entire room. He was so rude. It was terrible, we missed 2 ports and the glaciers, once we were at Tracy Arm, they said too much ice flow and we could not go in, we turned around. Holland America saw every port and were in there when we turned around and asked us why we didn't go in. They said there cruise was WONDERFUL, and felt so bad for us. You have to pay for juice seperate when you order a mixed drink and they charged gratuity of $10 per day for a 14 month old baby as we were told by the dad. HE was very angry. $500 credit, yes thank you, but you had to sepnd it on board and it was non refundable, UNTIL the second to last day they said you could get the leftover oney back. IT was gone and then people really got mad... I never heard the F word as much on that cruise...And the staff that had days off, they were walking around with buckets of beer and taking all the seats at the shows. We missed 3 shows that were full. We talked to them on deck and yes they are allowed to socialize with customers. They can eat in the dining rooms too on days off...
Sorry for rambling and there is soooooooooooo much more.....save it for another day.
Loved Skagway and 6am-12pm in Ketchikian was tooo short.
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Passenger

i'm so sorry, newbiecruiser, but i can hardly believe we were on the same cruise!!!
our rooms were spotless, our in-room requests were immediately filled (Robes, xtra pillows & towels) we ordered anything we wanted from room service, not off the menu in the book and they never said no. didnt that dad know what he was obliged to pay before he brought his 14 month old baby along? if one had asked on the first day, as we did, one would have known that any shipboard credit not spent would be refunded.
i'm seriously confused......not one crew member or service staff was anything but charming and obliging to us.........why is it that some people got lemons, and some got lemonade.......
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:36 PM
rick gill

We were on the Diamond for a Mexico cruise. We could not have been more pleased with the service, the ship and the crew. We di not have the problems that that these folks had, and I'm sure that it was a tough few hours. Criuse lines are running at all time record capacity, as such management seems to forget the old line that I've heard all thru my customer service lifr...."the customer comes first" If more business' and the employees of those business' were reminded about those few simple words our entire economy would grow by leeps and bounds. If something like this happens managemnet must react and take care of the customer faily and reasonably even refunding monies and offering to rebook, upgrade and arrange return airfare. If they do not then we the public must speak out We're mad as hell and won't take it anymore..
Customers also must be reasonable and not try to inrich themselves
when something like this happens.. Its a two way street. Princess needs to send letters to all the passangers and offer them significant discounts on another cruise,
they must be proactive or we the people need to find another line to travel on, we must speak with out wallet and vote the management off itf they fail, like they did in afew areas here. I hope you princess employees will see this and let the baosses know
they have a tarnished brand name and they need to do all they can to make amends,
and compensate all passangers on this illfated cruise another opportunity to visit princess and be treated as well as my wife and I were in March(27th) on the Diamond.
We're doping panama in September (26th) on the Coral and we won't let something like this standing the way....
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Changes to a vacation can be very stressful and disappointing. As we all know we book our trips, do our research, and set our sights on the stars. We never expect for things to be turned upside down. I am sorry to hear that some passengers did not have the trip they had hoped for, and happy to hear that some passengers were able to make the best of a difficult situation. It would be nice if everyone would agree to disagree, stop calling each other names and move on to planning their next trip - which hopefully sails smoothly.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I'm sorry, Rick, but should Princess compensate those who booked their own air (they had the option of cruise air - more expensive, yes, but they did have the option), should they reimburse for independently booked shore excursions? I don't think so. We as travelers need to take responsibility for our own actions. I totally agree that a $500 shipboard credit was a great compensation......but pax need to be proactive and question things they are not sure of (is this only usable on board or can I get the credit for unused portion once the cruise is over.) I have had problems with Princess - even with the air that I booked through them.....the Sea Princess was 4 hours late docking in Vancouver due to a storm and that delayed boarding....I was in a line that was more than 1/2 mile long waiting to board a bus to board the ship. Was I upset, yes, but I understood that things happen. I did not get one red cent for that delay........nor did I expect any.

No matter what Princess did, they will be criticized by those who think they should have ESP and those who demand total refunds for things that go wrong.

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:05 AM
c king

Will the Diamond be on normal schedule for 5 June sailing?
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:12 AM
Passenger

I was on the 5/22 diamond princess. Of course, the first day was a very long day due to the delayed embarkation, and the subsequent disappointment of learning our itinerary had changed. I saw a lot of people very upset, especially around midnight in the atrium area. Some people were actually crying! I just chalked it up to everyone being tired and worn down. We stayed on the ship, and had a fantastic time. The food was excellent (except for the buffet!), our mini suite was fantastic and the ship is georgeous. We hope to repeat this itinerary next year, so we can get to the ports we missed. I think the $500 credit from Princess was generous.