Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:42 PM
michcruiser

Default Carribean Princess dining with kids?

Hi. We are going on the CB on 7/3, and I have to tell you, I'm a bit discouraged. I had always heard wonderful things about the Princess cruises, and I can't believe how many negatives I've read. This will be my 7th cruise.

We are a group of 9. We have 2 seniors, 3 early 40's adults, a 20 yo, 16 yo, 11 yo and 7 yo. We are currently booked for early seating, but I'm not sure if we should switch to personal choice. First of all, does anyone know if there are round tables for 10 in personal choice dining rooms? Which do you think would be better for the younger kids? I don't want them to miss their evening activities, which is what happened when we did late seating on the Triumph. If we do Personal Choice, is it possible to reserve the same table for 10 with the same waiter every night? What is a good time to eat so that the kids have their activites, and we won't miss the shows.

I read somewhere that they don't offer French Cuisine? Instead Carribean? Yuck! Does that mean no escargot? If there isn't going to be any escargot, I swear my husband will cancel!!

Are the shows really as bad as everyone is saying? Actually, a friend of my parents just returned and had a wonderful time. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

THX!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM
LauraK

Default Re: Carribean Princess dining with kids?

We had 10 people, and booked for 6:30 everynight... I dont know if that is personal choice or what, my dad did it all
We had the same waiter, albert in the coral dining room, he was a very good waiter
---my cousins and I always got lost going to that dinsing room though
-- 6 wasnt a bad time, but one or 2 nights we didnt have time to chnge before the show but usually we had 1/2 hour to 15 minutes
--- I do not remember escargo being on the list at dinner :-/
---my cousins and i went to 2 comedies, they were good, but i didnt like the others... but they wont have the same comedians
--- I heard princess idol isnt bad
---The activites by/in the poools, mostly for adults, were VERY fun to watch, and im sure for adults to participate in
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
First Mate

Michelle...

First please take any negative comments about the Caribbean Princess with a grain of salt. As a veteran cruiser, you know that opinions can be quite varied. My wife and I were on the Caribbean Princess on the Western itinerary on May 8-15 and we had a marvelous cruise. We have sailed previously on the Grand and the Golden, and even with the additional floor of rooms and 500 passengers, we did not notice any over crowding. On the contrary, I think they are making better use of the public area on this ship.

The Traditional Seating dining room, Island Dining Room, and both Anytime Dining rooms, the Palm and the Coral Dining Rooms, have several tables to accomodate ten people. If you already have a table for ten in early Traditional Seating, I would recommend staying with that option. I don't think that should interfere with many activities, plus you will have a set time and place for your large group to meet.

The rumours you heard are correct. There is no French cuisine night on the Western itinerary. My wife was very disappointed that she didn't get her annual escargot! (grins) I really missed the French onion soup. I think they replaced the French night with a Mexican night.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed all the entertainment. We really enjoyed the new production show "Caribbean Caliente." The juggler/comedian, Dan Bennett, was an absolute riot. He had me practically crying I was laughing so hard. Everyone I spoke to later that saw him thoroughly enjoyed his act.

I hope this helps some and I know that you will have a wonderful cruise as we did.

Regal Princess - 1996; Star Princess - 1995
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:54 PM
michcruiser

Thanks for both of your responses. One question I forgot to ask. Do they have round tables for 10? My father is very particular and wants a round table. And if they have round tables, do they have them in both traditional and personal choice dining rooms?

Thanks!!

(I can't believe they changed from French night to Caribbean!! Mexican wouldn't be bad, but I didn't see anything about that - I'm pretty sure it's Caribbean!)
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Laura K

We had a rectangular table, but there were some round ones, but it looked as if they seated 8 or less, but I'm sure you could get 10 poeple.
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Passenger

We just got back form the Caribbean Princess May 29, and although there was no French night, I was pleasantly surprised to find escargot on the menu one night, and French Onion soup another night.
I also did not encounter any of the negative aspects that have been previously written about.

Old June 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carribean Princess dining with kids?

Hi Michelle! My DH and I will be on your cruise, so I'm glad to see there are enough of you to pass me the sugar, should I ask.
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:16 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Ok, Manny, you're going to have to give me a report.We don't go until Sept!!! And, maybe the Bolts will have had the Stanley Cup for 2-3 months already! Are you going on Eastern or Western? Lynne

Old June 1st, 2004, 07:40 PM
Passenger

Hi Lynne, we are going on the Eastern.
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:36 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Good deal! I hope you have a nice Fourth of July on the Islands or a good red/white/blue celebration on the ship. Let me know how it went. I'm sure we'll be both be checking in before you and the others sail.We're on the Eastern, too. Lynne

Old June 6th, 2004, 08:43 PM
michcruiser

Thanks for letting me know there was escargot and onion soup on the menu!! My husband will be so happy. Me, too! And Manny, I'd be happy to pass you the sugar!

Michelle
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Re: Re: Re: Carribean Princess dining with kids?

We just returned from the CB last Saturday and rest assured-you will have a wonderful time. I was disappointed at the Caribbean night but they did have the best french onion soup ever. They also had escargot on one of the last nights. We had 11 people in our group for the 1st seating and we sat at an oblong table. My daughter went to the kid activities and we sometimes left to take her. Our waiters were great about getting her meal out fast so she could go. Two nights we let her order room service and she checked herself into the kid activity. We used walkie-talkies and had her check in with us when she was leaving the room and when she got to the activity. Since you have an 11 year old you may have it a little easier. I was never disappointed with any of the meals or the shows. We enjoyed them all. It's hard to say which ones you will have since their contracts change month to month. Please email me with any questions. I'd be happy to help. You will have a wonderful time.

Maggie