Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:52 PM
LSP

Default balcony for hawaii?

is it worth it to pay for a balcony on a cruise to hawaii? i have read that for alaska a balcony is a must, and for caribbean is not, where does hawaii fall?
also for a couple 35ish, which would you recomend
hawaii 15 days
panama canal or
10 day caribbean southern or exotic

thank you
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Jane Marlow

Default Re: balcony for hawaii?

I am thinking of going on that 15 day Hawaii cruise...I sure would like a balcony for that many days.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:24 PM
Beryl

Hi LSP! A Hawaii cruise would be a wonderful way to get a taste of the islands and give you just a "little" idea of how different each is from the other but in my opinion if you really want to "know" Hawaii a land trip is the best way to go!!! That's just my opinion and I know others will disagree ) You have to decide if you're more interested in the cruise or in the islands you will be visiting!! If I did choose the 15 day round trip cruise I would go without the balcony. So many days are spent at sea and I don't think the weather is really balcony weather for much of the time. I would save the money for touring the islands.

The Panama Canal is a fabulous experience!! Get a balcony for this one! It is incredible to sail through the locks and into Gatun Lake. I thought that transit day would be the most boring day but it turned out to be the best day of the whole cruise. If possible, and if you choose to do it, try to get a cruise that does the complete transit. It is the experience of a lifetime.

There is something wonderful about every Caribbean cruise. They are exotic, colourful and filled with lively entertainment. You couldn't help but have a good time if you chose to cruise to those lovely southern islands! I'd go for the balcony on this one too!!

Whichever you choose you are practically guaranteed a good time! Choosing is the hardest part but the research is a good part of the fun as well. Have fun with your planning and be sure to let us know what you decided!!
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Admiral

LSP. so many great choices. Which itineary you pick is totally up to you. The longer the cruise the older the guests, if that matters to you.
Panama Canal - balcony definatley - amazing cruise, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We did a total transit and it has been the most memorable of our cruises, so far.
a 10 day Southern with a partial canal transit is a great cruise- port intensive cruise, visiting very diverse ports of call.
Can't help with Hawaii, haven't gotten there yet.......
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:30 AM
LSP

Default Re: Re: balcony for hawaii?

dear Beryl
thanks for your opinion, i had the same thougts about not getting a balcony, with your opinion i am more inclined twards the cheaper inside cabin.
thanks
lsp
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:32 PM
cruznut6

LSP

Sailed 10 day Hawaii in 2002 on the Summit in an outside cabin and the Infinity for 11days in 03 in a balcony. Unless you get a great price for a balcony, I'd stay with an inside or outside. Who knows, maybe the "upgrade fairy" will grant you a balcony for the same price (not likely, but what the heck, life's a gamble). Seriously though, we sent most of our time on the outside upper decks and clubs at night. The one great thing having a balcony was when we sailed from Kona at night, we watched the lava flowing into the Pacific; that was incredible from the balcony view! Also, having a "nightcap" or two was real enjoyable in the sea air.

Regards...Bob
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:33 PM
SANDY M.

Jane and LSP

I'm going on the Island Princess 15 Day Hawaii cruise Oct. 6, 04. I booked my husband and I a Mini Suite for that amount of days. We have some friends going with us and one has a Mini Suite also and the other a O/S W/Balcony. We were all on the Sun Princess in 2003 Feb/Mar on the 15 Panama Canal and had a O/S W/Balcony, and it's great to cruise that way. Sure enjoyed the Panama Canal. I realize Hawaii cruise is alot of days at Sea, but it's great to have a Balcony in the mornings, afternoon and evening. The Oct 6th date and a few other days in the fall, Princess had great balcony and Mini Suites rates for Captain Circle Members, so we lucked out on that, plus this particular sailing with our travel agency (because of the Consortium they belong too, each person 2 per cabin receives $100 PP SHIPBOARD CREDIT).

Sandy M
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:46 AM
venice

yes for the balcony to Hawaii(or any of your cruises)
do all 3 over a 3 year period and then tell us which you prefer and then figure 3 new cruise experiences to do in your 40's (smile)
with the options you've mention are you celebrating something special ?