Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default Coffee

I just read on a room service/tipping string that the coffee served on Princess is made from syrup (although it appears the Atrium bar has brewed - not sure which ship this refers to, though). This will be my first cruise (on the Sun) and this is the most distubing thing I've read so far - is this really true?! If anyone knows where the brewed coffee is on the Sun, please share!
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Coffee

Brewed coffee is at La Patisserie in the Atrium area of Plaza deck ... and in the Atrium Lounge on Promenade deck ... there's a charge for the specialty coffees.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Jo Glenn

Hello,
I noticed that the coffee was syrup as well, so I've decided to take my "french press" coffee pot. I can get the hot water from room service. That way I can have my Sumatra French Roast in the morning or late afternoon. I just can't stand horrible coffee. I'll be on the Dawn in December.
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Coffee

We are bringing a small coffee maker with us..........I can't stand bad coffee..

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Admiral

The ole coffee debate ! IMHO - coffee (as long as their is caffeine in it) is coffee !
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Admiral

the coffee on Princess is pretty good IMHO. I guess that if you are a coffee efficianaito(sp?) and are used to a typical type and brew of coffee it could be a bit dissapointing. Hardly horrible, nothing to stress over or loose sleep about.
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
lancet

I think the word is 'affectioniado', but I am too lazy to get the dictionary to be sure. Been on many lines and generally found the coffee to be fine in the dining room, but very lacking in the lido deck's buffet (in fact was just plain awful on most ships). Bringing your own coffee brewer, which means bring your own coffee, seems like carrying more 'stuff'. Reading these threads, sometimes I get the feeling that some cruisers must have a bunch of hired help to pack all their paraphenalia to the ship lol.

I go simple. much easier
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Admiral

i have also found that the coffee in the dining room and the coffee you get from room service is much better than the coffee found at the buffet
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:08 AM
First Mate

Hey its black, goes in a cup and has that extra jolt!! I don't have to make it and I'm on a cruise. I'm not going to be a critic just fill it to the top. You can tell I don't know the difference from Folgers to Maxwell House, and NO I don't like it flavored. Just had to add my 2 cents. .

Old July 14th, 2004, 04:40 PM
JImeeee4

Just to keep it going, the tea is instant too, and lousey, The dining room tea never has enough ice. I have seen them replace the cofee syrup in the dispensors.It came in a carton llike a half gallon milk carton. We still prefer Princess and will be going in December and again in February.
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Passenger

My DH had several cups each day. But then, he is more of a cream drinker than a coffee drinker! !
Manny
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Passenger

That's horrible! I had just gotten over the coffee thing by telling myself I could just have tea! I guess I am a coffee afficionado of sorts, but I just assumed on a cruise, where eating is such a big part of what they offer, they would not cut corners on something so simple as brewing coffee! At least a box of tea bags is easier to pack than a coffee maker...
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Princess has a selection of tea bags and hot water available at Horizon Court.
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

aficionado -- ok sorry had to do it.. it is the teacher in me =)

I don't drink coffee (but he does) and I don't drink tea. But I know that I hate it when I have to pay $2.50 for a soda that is in my room! However, I do. If you like a certain thing and dont mind making it on your vacation, then by all means bring it. If it is small enough and light enough to pack great! All I know is that this cruise I am taking as few bags as I can.

Just my 2 cents
Karen
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM
K.T.

I wish Princess would work on the coffee thing. I am a devoted coffee drinker and find that the coffee on Princess ships is just not doin' it for me. Everything else is pretty much superb, but that coffee is terrible!
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Is there a cappuccino bar on Princess ships similar to the Cova Cafe on Celebrity ships? I like to have an occasional cappuccino with their wonderful chocolates. Sailing on the Dawn in December and would like to know if I can look forward to this.

From what I'm reading here, not looking forward to regular coffee any worse than Celebrity serves in their buffet areas. I must say though, the first day I couldn't finish one cup, but each day following, I drank 2 or 3 cups--must have gotten a bit used to it. Any chance I'll adapt to Princess coffee?
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:49 AM
judy schenkman

Like it or not I usually end up getting "used" to the poor coffee. I drink it black so it really hurts. I always take a ziplock bag of instant coffee from home and some proper tea bags...I use this in our room on occasion. I believe they bring tea bags when serving from room service...but the coffee is the same. I was delighted to hear that real coffee was available in the Atrium. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they had a starbucks
type facility.......on vacation and a chance to really enjoy your coffee.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
knarf

Karen-Have you tried getting a soda card? It sounds like the way to go if you are a "soda" person !! Sincerely Knarf ( Frank backwards) Teacher until 8/31/04 !!!!!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Yeoman

At breakfast every morning I had a lovely cup of English Breakfast tea, brewed from a bag, that is available at the Horizon Court buffet. They had many other types of bags availble.
The iced tea however is horrid and served from a " vat" so who knows what it is made from.
We found the coffee fine, of course I drink coffee with cream and sugar ,so I don't notice slight differences the was a true " coffee o phobe " would !
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Trudy

You can also bring coffee bags that are just like teabags...
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Passenger

i'm pretty surprised that no one mentioned anything about the water used to make the coffee. I remember reading somewhere that cruise ships have water that tast very chlorinated.

At my job there's an automatic hot cholocate/coffee maker that's hooked up to the building's water supply. Even though the coffee's fresh, it has a very weird taste because of the tap water and the filtration system in the machine. But it beats going to outside for coffee.

Golden Princess' water (and coffee) had that filtered taste and it wasn't very thrist-quenching. But hey, I can stand a cup or two at breakfeast.

Post Edited (08-24-04 20:07)
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
BLR

I was expecting the worst of the coffee situation when I first cruised. I was pleasantly surprised. It is a little "sweeter" than just plain coffee, but definitely nothing that is upsetting. The coffee was very consumable --- I have had worse coffee that was traditionally brewed! I don't think that the Princess coffee will ruin your cruising experience by any means.