Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:43 AM
Passenger

Default How much luggage to bring?

I am wondering if there is a limit on the amount or size of luggage that you can bring on board? We are scheduled on an upcoming Sapphire cruise to Alaska and I'm planning to bring two large suitcases, a garmet bag, and 2 or possibly 3 smaller carry on type bags.
Is this too much for a 7 day cruise or is it normal? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How much luggage to bring?

the cruise lines don't care how much luggage you bring, its the airlines that limit your luggage. This is what we bring on a 7 day cruise for 3 people. 1 garment bag, 2 large suitcases, 1 medium suitcase (this covers the weight limits from the airlines) 1 carry-on with all the basic daily needs, 1 backpack for misc stuff and things, doubles as a beach bag, and 1 camera/viedo bag. We also bring a duffle bag with our snorkel gear, water shoes and sandals, but that wouldn't apply to your Alaska cruise.
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How much luggage to bring?

Thanks Lisa K - I feel better now! Sounds like we are right on track for the 2 of us as far as the amount of luggage to bring.
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Scooter, the general rule when packing for a cruise is to pack what you think you will need and then take half of that out of your suitcase. This rule holds pretty true. I always overpack but have gotten much better over the years. You can get more than one wearing out of a pair of pants, shorts, skirts- just change the top. I only bring one pair of dress heels, 1 pair of flat sandals and i wear my walking sneakers. DH only packs one pair of dress shoes, 1 pair casual shoes and he wears his walking sneakers. Streamline your packing, it makes things so much easier.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How much luggage to bring?

Thanks again Lisa K - That is also very good advise. I've heard it before when packing for other kinds of vacations and have always disregarded it. Then when we get to NYC
and have to "shlepp" about 6 BIG pieces of luggage up the steps out of Penn Station, we said - oh boy, we should have listened to that advise about packing too much!
This time, I will pay heed and do as you say! Thanks for the reminder. Scooter
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just from experience, when I went on a 3 day cruise I took 2 large bags -- 1 for clothes and the other for shoes and misc stuff like makeup. Well, that just showed me that I didn't know how to pack for a cruise! I didn't wear even half of what I brought. I knew it was only a 3 day cruise but you know how women can be... changing outfits and stuff. I really regreted bringing 2 bags when it was time to disembark and we didn't let our steward take the bags down the night before. Here I was with my cousin and who brought 2 big duffle bags herself fighting thru the crowds down flight and flights of stairs with all this unneeded luggage! It was a sight to see. This time I am going with my soon to be husband on a 7 day cruise and we are going to do a bag a piece and maybe a carry on/backpack for our snorkel stuff and cameras.

Karen
Honeymoonin on the Star
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

For a 7-10 day cruise, my husband and I each take one suitcase, we share a garment bag, and we each have a carry on for camera, meds, etc. At that, I had a smaller suitcase, but put too much in it, and was slightly over the 50 lb weight limit at the airport. They didn't charge me, but they threatened to. On our first cruise, we were standing outside of the airport, waiting for our transfer with all of our luggage, and talked to a couple standing next to us, with only two carry on duffles. We asked when their luggage was coming, they said that was all they had................they are my idols..............don't know how they did it, and have only managed to get down to what we have now after ten years.
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

I've got my 7 day Caribbean packing down to one carryon and a backpack. But as a guy I don't need as much "stuff " . I bring 3 pairs of water shorts, 2 pairs of dress slacks, 1 pair of dress shoes, sandals and wear my tennis shoes. 7 tee shirts, 4 shirts for dinner the usual misc. stuff and I rent a tux on board. The water shorts do double duty as shorts and bathing suit (great fo wet shore excusrions) and the dry very fast. I used to do a lot of backpacking and the general rule of thumb is, if you have to ask yourself the question: "Do I really need this?" the answer is probably NO. Leave it at home.
Bernie