Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:50 AM
Foster

Default hotel recommendation please

Hello!

We are looking to book the Diamond Princess Coastal Cruise beginning in Vancouver and ending in LA but we'd like to stay a couple of nights pre and post cruise in each city.

Could someone please recommend a hotel in LA that is midway between the port and the airport? We would have to manage our own transfers and would prefer to be centrally located (or as much as possible that is). I don't know whether the ship docks in San Pedro or Long Beach and have no idea how far this is from anywhere...if anyone can advise me..that would be great...!! I've never been to California and don't really have a visual picture of distances.....

Thanks!!1
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: hotel recommendation please

Foster,

There is not much to see or do in San Pedro, so I would stay in Long Beach or north if I were you. Long Beach is very tourist friendly with a free bus line that runs to all the tourist spots (aquarium, Queen Mary, etc). The Coast Hotel is very nice (a lot of cruisers stay there) or anything downtown Long Beach.

You may wanna try Priceline or something and see how high of a caliber hotel you can get.

We just the 4-star Omni downtown for $65.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: hotel recommendation please

hello foster,

i agree with harry....stay in long beach. i'm from san pedro and there is not much to do here. there's the omni, hyatt and hilton hotel. there's more but that's all i can think of right now. you have a lot of more options there. if you have time you can even spend a day on catatalina island, which you can take the boat from long beach or san pedro. it's fun there.

g
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you want to do Disneyland/KnottsBerrylFarm, you may want to stay in Anaheim, near those parks. If you want to do Hollywood, Universal Studios, Beverly Hills, I would stay closer to the city, at least near the airport.............but you may want to be further north. It depends what you want to see and do.............. Unless you want to spend your time exploring Long Beach, I wouldn't stay there, as it's a way to any of the other "tourist" attractions. This info is for the Los Angeles end of your cruise.
I think Vancouver is beautiful, and we just stayed in Vancouver, and poked around from there...........as we had not been there before.
Have a wonderful cruise!
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:10 AM
M.Teresa

Default Thank you very much. ONe other question..

We're trying to choose between the Westin and the Hilton in Long Beach..would you be able to tell me which is more centrally located or does it matter? We won't have a car and we wanted to be near shops and restaurants...thanks once again!

M. Teresa
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

how far is the Princess port from Long Island?
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: hotel recommendation please

how far from long beach is the long beach air port?
Old August 16th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Car rental

Princess says the Diamond will be docked at San Pedro on 09/25 morning. To tour L.A. for 2 full days, we plan to rent a car near the pier that morning and check-in a hotel near LAX after that. That way we can return the car at LAX before flying home.
The trick is to find a car rental at or near San Pedro pier.