Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Default Princess vs. Carnival?

We've been on 2 Carnival cruises and like the laid-back casualness of their ships. Do you think we would like Princess, or is it too "upscale"? (We always do the formal nights, but I wear a pantsuit and DH a business suit.) We're in our early 50's.
Thanks for your input,
Fern
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:45 PM
pg

Default Re: Princess vs. Carnival?

First, there are tons of threads on this subject, scroll down a page or two and I am sure you will find one.
No it is not too upscale. We are early forties , and started cruising Princess in our mid thirties, after having cruised with Carnival twice.
We loved Princess.
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Joni

Hi Fern:
Altho it was only my first cruise I am compelled to respond to your question and advise you that you should be very comfortable on a Princess cruise. The attire you chose to wear on Carnival is perfect for Princess also. It truly was a "melting pot" of people - some dressed to the "9's" others just like you and me!!!! Other than the formal nights (2) I found the environment it to be "laid-back" resort casual - not "upscale" at all. I hope this helps - we are early 50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your cruise. Joni
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM
First Mate

I agree. We did our first cruise (on Carnival) last year and our second cruise (on Princess) this year. We were very comfortable on both although our Caribbean cruise on Carnival did seem more geared towards a younger crowd and our Princess cruise to Alaska seemed geared towards an older crowd. This may have been the destination rather than the cruise line. As I said, we were quite content on both cruises even though we fall right in the middle of the age group (46 and 50). The only comment I would have is that the food on Princess was rather mild and bland and that may have been due to the older crowd going to Alaska. It certainly was not enough to stop us from putting a deposit on our next Princess cruise.

Enjoy, enjoy.

Anne
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Although I never cruised Carnival I have other lines. Our first Princess cruise was a great experience. I did not consider it upscale or stuffy. The passengers ranged from young children to mature adults (notice I didn't say OLD) There was a lot to offer for everyone. We are laid back people, who after formal dinner, go back and change into comfortable clothes. We enjoyed Princess and are looking forward to our next cruise in April. We are in our early 60's and felt very comfortable on this ship.

Old August 13th, 2004, 03:04 PM
lancet

Default Re: Re: Princess vs. Carnival?

Most of the ships in this class (4-5 stars) are not 'stuffy' The carnival lines cater to a younger set and will reflect that; whereas Princess, Celebrity etal will have a wider age group. The ships are relaxed with plenty of informal meals and eating areas. The 6 star class, ie silverseas, are the stuffy ships with formal night nearly every meal. So relax Fern, you will have an enjoyable and casual trip

Lancet
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Passenger

I'm in my early 30s and enjoy sailing on Princess each time. Absolutely hate Carnival and will never sail again with them. I have been on many other lines also so I have lots to compare and Princess is a good mix and not "upscale" but definitely nicer than Carnival.
Old August 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Yeoman

We, too, have been on 2 cruses. The first was on Carnival to the Caribbean. We came back saying that we would definitely cruise again, but probably not on Carnival. As others said, the activities were geared to the younger set. Our second cruise was to Alaska on Princess, and we fell in love with Princess. It was actually friendlier, both the passengers and crew who bent over backwards to make you happy. There were never any long lines. We constantly waited in lines on Carnival. We loved PC Dining. You can eat at a time that suits you, not when the ship tells you to. The destination, I have been told, does impact some of the activities onboard, but it wouldn't impact the things we loved about Princess. (We are in our mid fifties.) You can make any cruise as relaxed and laid back as you want just by choosing what to participate in. You shou8ld definitely give Princess a try.

Carnival Inspiration