Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Platinum Check-In in LA

Hey all, we got our cruise docs for the Oct 30th sailing of the Diamond Princess and had a pleasant surprise.

This is our 4th cruise on Princess, but somehow, our docs package was stamped "Platinum Check-In" ... per the guidelines, we need to sail Princess 5 times before being marked Platinum. I'm curious to see if our sail and spend card will be marked accordingly.

But, at any rate, it will be neat to have that little bonus. What can we expect at the terminal in San Pedro? Does anyone know?

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:39 PM
marco

Default Re: Platinum Check-In in LA

hi there harry;

as far as i understand u become a platinum member on the sailing of your 5th cruise.....there is a litte confusion when u call princess - some agents tell u you must have sailed 5 cruises and others say u are platinum on your 5th cruise....
i guess we all know now - you must have sailed 4cruises....

see u on board....we cant wait...

ignazio / marco
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Camelia

Default That's a lucky break!!

I remember that I got the platinum card and documentation on the last day of my 5th cruise on PRincess..it was nice to be able to use the lounge on disembarkation morning!

I'm not sure about San Pedro embarkation but when I embarked in Vancouver on the Diamond..the Platinum line up was LONGER than the other line ups so we opted to not use it at all..isn't that the ironic twist??

Howeverm U did really enjoy using the free Internet service!!

Camelia
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Passenger

We also recived our documents with platinum check in, but this is our first cruise on Princess. We are booked in a mini suite, does that qualify for platinum check in?
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship

Harry,
At San Pedro as a Platinum member you will be in the first group along with wheelchairs first called for boarding - usually around 12-12:15pm. This of course varies depending on the prior clearance of the ship that morning. You will also have the use of the Platinum lounge (Usually the Explorer's Lounge converted) for leaving the ship where you will show your Platinum Card and they will let you in to read the newspaper, have pastries and coffee. I have even seen breakfast plates brought to an older couple last year and served to them. This was probably from the buffet but it was a nice gesture.

I have also heard rumors that there is now a new "room" in the terminal for Platinum and Elite members. I do not know if this is true or not. I guess you will get to see first hand and I will definitely know when I go in November as we are Platinum and Elite members in my group.

Steve Hayes
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Harry and Art - I am waiting impatiently to hear your impression of this ship.

I too am Platinum and am curious about the embarkation procedure!

Old October 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone for the input. I think BillC may have had the key, because we booked a mini-suite this cruise. Maybe that was it.

I would *love* to have the free internet, but wanna make sure first that it's gonna be free. :-) I guess I could just try and see if it pops up on our folio account.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old October 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Harry - when you are platinum, the charges do show up on your account if you do a daily check but they are removed just before you receive your final bill.

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Platinum Check-In in LA

>I too am Platinum and am curious about the embarkation procedure!<

We just made Elite, so we are wondering too. However, it may not matter that much on our Dec 20th embarkation as we will have our children and grandchildren along and they are only Gold as this is their 3rd cruise.
Frank-in-CA
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Just got back from Diamond Princess 02 October. We too had platinum checkin and this was my 4th cruise. The sign at checkin says "platinum and suites" so our minisuite qualified for platinum. Checkin was a breeze and we were in our cabin by about 1230p. They serve a lunch buffet in Horizon Court and that was a nightmare since everyone was trying to eat lunch at the same time. Lines were long and no vacant tables, either inside or outside by the pool.

Just one note about disembarking. It was supposed to take about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs so everyone would be off the ship by 1030a. We were supposed to be off by 10a. At 1015a I called Primetime Shuttle to advise it would probably be around 1130a. We actually caught our ride to LAX at 1145a. THIS WAS NOT PRINCESS'S fault as far as I could tell. The holdup was for immigration/customs. There just was not enough people to handle the 2800 plus passengers. There were 2 lines - one for US passport holders and one for foreign passport. The US passport line moved faster than the other but still took hours. No one should book a flight before 1pm. Passengers became anxious and nervous because they feared missing their flights.

We had a minisuite on Emerald Deck and it was absolutely wonderful. We never wanted to leave our balcony and we rarely did. We had E716. The location is aft making it convenient for Horizon Court and the other dining rooms. Some slight vibration but we are on a ship - not in a hotel room.
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
SharB

Harry,
From what I've read, it looks like the Platinum check in has replaced the Express. Your best bet is to go to your account on the Princess web site and check your status. If you've been moved to Platinum, you'll get the great internet benefit. If not, all you'll get is the "express" check in. (Just a guess)... :o)

Shar

Congrats on the tickets!!!!! Yea!!!

Only 84 more days til the Diamond New Year's cruise!!
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:01 PM
JImeeee4

Default Re: Re: Platinum Check-In in LA

The internet computer use was charged on my bill ,,,,then deducted at the end.
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship

Harry,
You will also know immediately when you get your ship card upon check-in because each category Gold, Platinum and Elite have their own colors. You will not be guessing once you have that card.

Steve Hayes
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone .... yea, I knew the litmus test was what color my sail and spend card turns out to be.

Bear, thanks for the great report on the Diamond. I know *exactly* what you mean on that Customs line. Sometimes, if we are called in the middle of the disembarkation, we just wait awhile, rather than stand in line.

Shar, I think I will go back to Cruise Personalizer and see what it says ... I think we just bumped due to the category we booked this time.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!