Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Michelle Potchak

Default Taxi or Princess transfers?

My girlfriends and I (3 of us total) have just booked the Grand Princess on Jan 29 sailing out of Galveston. My question is, is it cheaper to use Princess Transfers at $33 each way total of $198 for 3 of us, or a taxi from IAH Houston Bush Airport?

Thanks! appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Taxi or Princess transfers?

If you want peace of mind, take Princess' transfers. Unless something has changed, your luggage will automatically be loaded on the ship and the next time you'll see it is when it comes to your cabin.

People spend a large dollar amount on a cruise and sometimes balk at a few dollars more for one thing or another. It is a small fraction of what is spent on the basic cruise itself and yet it could jeopardize one's entire experience. The same goes for shore excursions. Unless you know the territory very well, the ship's shore excursions assure that you'll make it back in time - the ship won't leave without you. But if you are on your own and are late, it is up to you to get to the next port and rejoin the cruise.
Frank-in-CA
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Mike S

I am not sure if the Taxi is cheeper, however I just got back from a Caribbean Cruise and if you had Princess book your travel (at least on the return to the airport) your airline tickets would all be printed and you could go to a special place (away from the long lines) in the airport to check your luggage and pick up your tickets. It appeared to be much faster. However when you use Princess you had to wait for the bus to fill before you could leave.

My group had 8 people and we got a BIG van taxi and paid $7 a head (only about 5 to 10 miles to the airport).

Have a great time!
Mike
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Shahada

Hi there,

I think it is best to go with transfers on this one Houston is really far from Galveston. It is just all around more convenient. Honestly, it is more but you pay for what you get.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
happy sailing

If price is the chief concern go with a taxi. It will be cheaper if you are flying in and out of Hobby than Intercontinental, but still either will be cheaper than the Princess shuttle. More personal service with a taxi in my opinion also. You may also want to do a search for shuttle services in the Houston area and get a price quote from them. I think SuperShuttle is one. Hobby airport is about 45 minutes from Galveston and Intercontinental is around 75 minutes away. Most taxi drivers will also give you a mini-tour of Houston on your way down, describing the things you see. Hope this helps!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Passenger

I disagree with those saying to take a Taxi.

IAH is a LONG way from the cruise terminal in Galveston. I live in Dallas but work in Houston several days a week, so I know of which I speak. The trip from IAH to Galveston will take at least an hour and a half (could be much more depending on traffic) and the taxi drivers aren't exactly the most ethical of people (I always have to tell them where to go so they don't take me "for a ride"). It would definately be cheaper to go with the taxi, but I think it's a bad idea. That's just my opinion . . . but I did fly to Houston (Hobby and Bush) many, many times last year.