Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Default Sun Princess - 5/9-16/2005

Just booked a cruise to Alaska (Vancouver, BC to Whittier, AK) 5/9-5/16. Anyone else aboard? One week on the cruise ship and one week in AK on our own.

A little nervous after reading all the negative postings about the Sun and a few negative Princess comments. I jumped over to cruise critic to try and ease my jitters. I was able to find positive feedback - and I'm feeling little better.

This is my 2nd cruise - 1st on Carnival. My husbands 1st cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Mike Miller

Default Re: Sun Princess - 5/9-16/2005

I just hope for you that the service and food gets a lot better on Sun Princess then when I was on it. I've been on 25 cruises and couldn't wait to get off.

Prepare for bad weather in mid may in Alaska. I've cruised 7times up there. Just remember your rain gear

Mike
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Passenger

It is amazing - I was on cruise critic and there were so many positive reviews but everyone on this site seems to hate the Sun. Well, we chose May to avoid the crowds. Also, read in Frommer's that May was the driest of the Summer months. I guess June, July and August are extremely wet!

Thanks for the comments. I hope the Sun improves also. Although having been on only 1 cruise in the past (Carnival Destiny - which was entirely too big) our expectations are not that high. Besides our goal is to have a good time - no matter what.
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Doug H

I've just booked B2B on the Sun May 9 and 16. These will be #10 and 11 to Alaska, last trip there was also a B2B on the Sun in May 2003. Personally I like May/June for sailing Alaska and have had pretty good weather overall with 5 trips in May, much better weather than I've had in Aug/Sept time frame.

The Sun class is my favorite among Princess and I've not had a bad overall experience yet. I prefer the early sailings for the lower prices, smaller crowds and think that the weather can be raining almost any time of year so I pick the early sailings.
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Passenger

Doug H -

The fact that you re-booked (and sailing B2B) on the Sun makes me feel much better. My husband and I were getting very nervous after reading all of the negative comments about the Sun. My one and only cruise was a Carnival Cruise and it was far too big - and the service was lacking. However, it did not spoil my vacation. Just being away from work and the chaos of every day life was enough for me

I am so excited to head to Alaska. We are cruising 5/9 - 16 and then on land from the 16th - 20th on our own.

Have you booked any excursions yet?