Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM
marc-junior

Default Golden Princess-over 60s crowd?

We are debating between a Celebrity and Golden Princess cruise. Read a review that most passengers are sixty and older on the Golden Princess. Is this true? We are in our 40s. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Golden Princess-over 60s crowd?

We'll be with a group of 5 couples in mid-April, all just turned 50.
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM
susancruzs

I've been on 5 Princess cruises over the years and would never say that passenger mix is 60 and older! I'd like to read that review! :-)

Of course, I was on the Golden Princess at Thanksgiving time so there were alot of families/kids onboard.

On my longer Princess cruises (over 7 days) I'd say over half the ship might be 40 - 50+ but still think everyone over 60 is a stretch!

Susie

P.S. I'll be anxious to read others take on this question!
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:50 PM
marc-junior

Default Re: Re: Golden Princess-over 60s crowd?

Thanks for the reply. Go to expedia and read the cruise review for Golden Princess. At the bottom of the review, the customer mix is described. Very few 30 or 40 year olds. Mostly sixty plus.
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:40 PM
dands

I think the destinations and itineraries dictate the age group. We hae never had a bad cruise with any age group. Princess cruises number 16 and 17 coming up. 27 cruises overall.
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM
First Mate

We were on the Golden in May and there was definately a mix of ages. It all depends on where the cruise is going. I think the longer the cruise the older the population (10-15 day cruises) because those are people (like myself) that have the time to do longer cruises. The Golden is a beautiful ship and we had a wonderful time. The Celebrity cruise we were on had a mix too. It would depend on what islands the cruise ships offer. Have a great time, you can't go wrong on either line. That is just my opinion.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Admiral

marc- you will find an older crowd on the longer cruises (10 + days), on smaller ships and when school is in session. On a 7 day Caribbean cruise when school is in session you will find a good mix of all ages, mostly couples, some honeymooners. When school is out there will be more familes aboard.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
jcruise

Don't sweat the age group Mark. Dw and I will be on the Golden in April with our group of 8. We are all between 25-39. I think a cruise is a better experience when the ages are diverse. It doesn't let you cruise with prejudice and keeping an open mind can teach you things.

John
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Yeoman

We cruised twice on Princess, both times during April( not spring break) .We wre 36 and 38 frirst time and 41 and 43 second time. We NEVER felt out of place and thought we were pretty much in the middle age range.
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Cruisingpeople

John, what date are you going to be on the Golden............Joe
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruisingtogether99 Send a message via Yahoo to cruisingtogether99
Default Re: Re: Golden Princess-over 60s crowd?

Here I can answer for John! He's going the same date as me - April 17th. Which, ironically, happens to be my birthday! Happy b-day to me!

I had actually heard the same thing about Princess way before I even booked (age 60+) but it still didn't stop us. We're all in our early to mid 30's ( I still can't get over it) and have no problem sailing with the older crowd. Actually, one our first cruise together, Norwegian Norway, THAT was all 60+. I mean no exaggeration. Not even one person under 60. Ironically, we had such a blast!! We ended up really getting to know each other and laughed and giggled and made friends with the rest of 'em.

So as it's already stated above, enjoy the diversity!! It's really the company you go with!

Norwegian Norway
Golden Princes - 4/17/05!!
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Ernie

Go Princess - The mix is between 15 and 95 years, usually. You will have fun on Princess, they are good at what they do.
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM
jcruise

Thanks Mona,

I knew I could count on you to be here. We're all really excited about the cruise on Golden Princess April 17th. The anticipation has consumed every waking moment. () Can't wait to meet you and the girls. I have a feeling this is going to get quite interesting.

John
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
D-town

The most over-riding issue should be itinerary, ports of call and cost.
Both are quality Cruise Lines.
Celebrity offers a higher level of service than Princess.
However, Princess based on cost is very competitive.
I've sailed both and my only observation would be that Princess attracts an older overall group of cruisers.
I'm 58 and on Princess I was one of the younger passengers on the ship.
Not so, on Celebrity.
Most passengers on my Celebrity Cruise were in my demographic.
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:40 PM
susancruzs

Hmm, that is interesting, I'll be 58 and never felt I was one of the younger ones!

Years ago on a 2 week cruise that was true but with more people cruising, younger people, too, I just don't see that older crowd routine! On my first Princess cruise, two week Panama Canal, I was 38 and only a few onboard younger than me!!! :-) It was a hoot that cruise, we had a blast!

Alot depends on the cruise I guess and what you prefer. Maybe I need to try Celebrity again and give them a second chance, my first one was nowhere near what I expected!

Susie