Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Princess - Old & Run Down?

My husband and I are considering a Caribbean cruise on the Grand in 2006. I noticed it was built in 1998 and read a couple of reviews that it was showing wear and tear and a little musty smelling in places.

Has any one sailed recently on the Grand or is aware of any future remodels?

Thanks
KMK
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Grand Princess - Old & Run Down?

The Grand had a refit in 2003 or 2004, my wife and I sailed on the Grand 3-5-05 out of Galveston. The ship was in tip top condition, nothing to worry about. We enjoyed the ship and cruise so much that we are going again in Dec.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Formerfuzz

We went in November 2004, April 2005 it was fantastic. We are booked for Nov 2006 and looking forward to it. Movies under the Stars is great!
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Greta B

You will love the Grand!! I was on this ship in 2003 and had such a lovely time!! Now my husband and I are booked to sail on the sister ship, Star in November of 2005!
Can't wait and I know that you will have a great time!
Happy sailing to you!
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:21 AM
susancruzs

Princess takes good care of their ships, when you are on a cruise, you will always see someone cleaning, polishing, painting!

People do write about ships showing signs of wear, aging, being old but you have to put it in perspective. Thousands of people every week, you can't keep everything brand new.

There may be some worn spots, a stain on carpet or a chair, it happens. Will this ruin my cruise or affect it, no!

Susie
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM
D=Town

I sailed the Grand trans-atlantic in May of 2005.
The Golden in May 2005 ttans-atlantic.
These ships are in excellent condition.
With the sheer number of new cruise ships coming on line in the past few years, the general public gets the impression that a 5yr old ship is old.
Seasoned cruisers recognize that 5-10 yr old ships are still 'new'...
The single thing that really impressed me was during the ten sea days on thses cruises, I witnessed the crew replacing carpet on deck as well as constantly painting the ships while the passengers were in port.
You can nit-pick any ship.
In 2004, I sailed Celebrity's Millentium.
She's a real beauty.
However, on close inspection, I noted a broken clock and some broken glass.
As the previous poster noted, just consider 2000 people a week passing thru your house...
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM
hondagirl

We were on the Grand from Galveston in Feb. 2005. The ship was beautiful.
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM
First Mate

When did a 7 year old ship become "OLD" ?

This "trend" to sale only ships with less than 1year of water under their keel has become
nuts.

I said this on another post. Go look at those complaining. 99.9% of the time the have a key complaint that spread to the entire ship...even if it was the parking lot at the airport at home, suddenly the cruise is ruined and it is the fault of a 5 year old ship, etc.
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Grand Princess - Old & Run Down?

WE AE THINKING ABOUT BOOKING THE SAME CRUISE FEB 2006, HOWS THE WEATHER THAT TIME OF YEAR? tEXAS COLD?
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM
CruisinMaterial

All I can say is, I was on the Grand Princess in 2001 and she had a major refurbishment to ditch that Southwestern Mexican Restaurant and turn it into a Steakhouse I believe. Princess keeps their ships looking good unlike Carnival, who I sailed on their Destiny built in 1996 and that ship looks like it's never seen a drydocking or refurbishment since.

You'll enjoy the Grand Princess. I'm booked on the Star Princess this October and that's a sister to her. I look forward to the design and layout of the Grand Class ships, they're very well put together and run very smoothly (unless some jerk flushes something down a toilet that doesn't belong there like they always do and flood the hallway).

:-)

~Jake
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Rick Wright

My wife and cruised on the Grand 1st week of April this year. It is a beautiful ship and we found no faults. We highly recommend sailing Princess. We've been on Carnival and RCL. We're gong back to Princess because of the outstanding service we received (although Carnival is a close second). We'll be taking the Caribbean Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale next spring.

You will truly enjoy yourself on the Grand.
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Mr Goalie

We were on in September 2003. Didn't notice any wear or tear. Had a great time. The pool at the aft of the ship is awsome. What a great view. Don't worry.