Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Familiar Face

Default Golden Dress Code during Spring Break

I am traveling with my husband, daughter 15, son 12 on the Golden on March 18. They have not been on a cruise before. I have been on the Golden before in early March where most guests are adults. I've heard from our room steward last year that during spring break time the amount of kids on board is about half of the guests.

My daughter is most comfortable in a pair of sweatpants or soccer shorts and a baggy sweatshirt which is fine at home in the cold. Currently I am battling my daughter about dressing for the diningroom on non-formal nights. Right now we have a cute white eyelet skirt and denim capri's. I know the skirt is okay, but are the denim capri's ok for the diningroom at night? She'll probably live in her soccer shorts too. Do other kids dress like this on the ship?

My DH is a gem, but he hates to dress. On most vacations, he wears one pair of shorts the whole week that look awful by the third day and his old tennis shoes. Well, I was successful in the shorts dept. and bought him three more pair. I bought him a new pair of casual shoes for the diningroom, rented a tux for formal night, which I had to measure him for, as he wouldn't go and get measured any where. I've bought some tropical/hawaiian type shirts for him for dinner that I'm just going to take and give him on the cruise. I suggested new tennis shoes and I thought he was going to blow a gasket. I know he's at his wits end about me discussing and buying clothing.

We're all set for formal night, but it's the rest of the time I'm concerned about. I know we'll be in our swimsuits a good part of the day. Am I making too much out of how my family dresses? Do you think the dress codes will be more relaxed during spring break with lots of kids on board? I just want my family to look nice. Let me know honestly what you think. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Becky - first-off your daughter will be waay too hot wearing sweatpants. shorts, t-shirts, bathingsuits w/cover-up and flip-flops are pretty much the girls "uniform" for the day. No sweatpants in the dining room.

The eyelit skirt and denim capris with a cute top and flat sandals will be just fine for CASUAL night dining. What is she planning on wearing for formal nights?
For your guys - shorts, t-shirts sneakers or sandals for daytime. For CASUAL night dining most guys wear Dockers type or cargo pants with polo type shirts, hawaaiian print shirts and casual shoes or leather sandals.
Way to go with the tux rental. What about your son for formal night?
Princess does not relax the dress code for school breaks.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Familiar Face

Lisa,

For formal night my daughter is wearing her homecoming dress. A lovely black cocktail dress with handkerchief hemline. She is also willing to wear her high heels with it. I picked up a wonderful black pinstripe suit for my son for $20, which I altered last night. He'll have a white shirt and gray/black/white diagonal stripe tie. He'll be very handsome. Even picked up some great black shoes at a bargain price.

Both guys are decked out with dockers and various polo and hawaiian print shirts for dinner. Thanks for letting me know that Princess does not relax it's dress code.

I keep telling my DD that it is extremely hot in the carribean and that shorts and swimsuits will be the way of the day.

Thanks for the info.

Becky
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Ok so now that Dad and the kids are all set, what is Mom wearing???
Way to go on the bargains.
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Familiar Face

Well, Mom made up for the bargains. I made myself a two piece black silk dupionni gown lined in china silk. Very classic, sleeveless, princess seams, slight boat neck. Skirt is more straight and sleek in the front and longer in the back and trails a bit behind me. I may have made it, but I didn't save any money
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Becki - your gown sounds divine! You sound like a very talented seamstress
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Sometimes it can be a real fashion show with the teen girls. At least it is for my daughter and neice! I would be sure to have a few cute cover ups for your daughter, like skirts of the babydoll top/dresses that the teens seem to wear a lot of. We saw tons of those last spring break on our Diamond Princess cruise.

We will be on the Golden Princess in just a few short days!
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Becky C - we are also sailing on the Golden on March 18th. My two daughters, 13 and 14, are not on Spring Break but are going to be missing 4-1/2 days of school in order to meet up with relatives from the west coast for a family cruise! I'm sure our kids will run into each other in the teen center. Just curious - where are you from that it's Spring Break for teens???
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Familiar Face

We're from Minnesota -- where a spring break is always welcomed in March.
Where are you from?
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Massachusetts. We're just crossing our fingers that the weather is decent and we can get out on Saturday morning. Sure alot of storminess that seems to be headed our way.
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Familiar Face

Leaving on Saturday will be sweet for us, because we've had 12 inches of wet, heavy snow since last night. Kids had a snow day. So we really look forward to the cruise.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Princess does not relax the dress code for school breaks.
Neither do they enforce one.

Cheers,
Peter