Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default Caribbean princess Review, Part 2

Here's Part 2 of my on-going series. Stay tuned for Part 3.

Caribbean Princess, Part 2
Saturday May 27, Sail Away

Ah! That most exciting time of any cruise, the Sail Away, and I was not disappointed; Caribbean Princess makes a big deal out of it! We headed up to the Calypso pool area where all the action was taking place.

Of course, we grabbed ourselves a couple of Sail Away drinks (yummmm!!) and I did the requisite toast to CruiseMates. Unfortunately, James is still unfamiliar with my camera and he cut most of my head off, but you get the idea!

The "Jamaican Me Crazy" sail away party was a fun and fantastic time, with live music from the pool band Oasys, the recreation staff in their matching tropical shirts, crazy dancing and prizes awarded. We did line dancing, a conga line, and my personal favourite "Hey Baby", learning all the actions from each other. I was having such a good time, I forgot to take pictures, but James has it all on videotape, and it's quite hilarious! I even had to jump in the pool a few times to cool off - it was HOT HOT HOT!

After the party, I enjoyed a nice swim in the lovely Calypso pool. I loved the beautiful, colourful mosaic tiles surrounding both the main pools on the Caribbean Princess, and being able to sit alongside the pool in very shallow water and enjoy a drink and some sun.

I also enjoyed some very good thin crust pizza from the pizza parlour, and finally, we returned to our cabin to sit on the balcony and enjoy our wine and chocolate dipped strawberries. Ahhh, what a life!

Around 8:30 p.m. we found our way down to the Coral Dining Room, where we had chosen this time to try "anytime dining". We have mixed feelings about "anytime dining" which I will go into later. On our first night, we were shown to table 324, where we met the most wonderful waiters, Rodel and Edgar, both from the Philippines. They were both wonderfully friendly, funny, and extremely helpful, genuinely eager to please, and their service was superb, not just the first night, but throughout the week.

My first Princess meal was excellent - started with a cold Pina Colada soup (served in a large glass with a straw!), a lovely salad with lemon herb vinaigrette dressing, and for the entree, a pasta dish with grilled chicken. Dessert was even more wonderful; profiteroles with whipped cream and chocolate sauce, and a chocolate volcano. (when you just can't decide - have them both!)
We left the dining room full and satisfied with our first Princess dining experience. From the Coral dining room, we wandered, trying to get our bearings, finding it difficult to find our way around this huge ship. We finally ended up at the Princess Theatre, where we saw most of the "Welcome Aboard" show. The singers and dancers were not too impressive, but the comedian, Miguel Washington was pretty good. We met our cruise director, David Cole, and he was pleasant enough, and even sang a song.
By the time the show ended, we were both so tired, we just decided to go back to the cabin, and there we found not a towel animal, but my nightgown, exquisitely laid out on the bed wating for me!

After writing up notes of the day's events (for CruiseMates!), I fell asleep effortlessly, listening to the soothing hum of the Caribbean Princess....

to be continued...

Click here for:

Part 3

donna