Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default Do we tip for room service???

Got my first cruise coming up in less than 2 weeks and am trying to figure how many ones and fives I need to take along for the cruise and my post cruise vacation in Denali.

My question is:

Do we tip for room service??? Or is that already figured into the $10 per person per day automatic gratuity????
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Admiral

It is not included in the $10/day. Tip a buck or two depending on how much you ordered.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Admiral

you should tip room service a buck or two depending upon what you order.
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Beginner

With reference to tipping, you do pay $10 per day each but you can go to the pursers desk and ask for them to be removed. We prefer to tip in cash to the cabin boys and waiters and there is a massive amount of money going into a pot by the rest of the passengers. Its an english thing where we dont tip unless we have received good service where as americans tip all the time good or bad service. But it is down to you. If you are staying onboard 16 nights like we did $10 per day each soon adds up and that s 1/3rd of the holiday!!
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's true that you can opt out of the tip being added to your cruise account but you should be aware that if you tip your waiter and cabin stewards individually that money goes into the pot anyway. You should also be aware that the waiters and stewards make very little in the way of salary and rely on your tips to support themselves and their families. The recommended amounts are the minimum that one should tip. If the service was extra special, and it usually is, you should hand each (steward and waiter) a little extra at the end of your cruise.
Jim.
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Jim, I have heard about the cash tips going back into the pool. On our last cruise, I ask the cabin stewart about it and he said no. They kept the "extra" tip.

Got me.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you give it in an envelope he is supposed to turn it in. They then check to see if you opted out or not. If you did not opt out of the tip being added to your account then the envelope is returned to him. I guess if no one sees you give him the envelope he can do what he wants to. As I said I usually give more and I do it in the form of cash without the envelope.
Jim.
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Jim, doesn't make any sense. In an envelope or not. What is the difference?

Old June 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

As I said an envelope is supposed to be turned in. If you didn't opt out of the tips it will be returned to him/her. If you did opt out of the tips it goes into the pot. Cash can just go in the pocket. I guess an envelope could also, but he would have to hide it. I guess some stewards are more honest than others.
Jim..
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Admiral

If you want to tip your room steward or waiter extra and you want to make sure that he/she gets that extra money you need to use the automatic tipping. Anything over the automatic tipping amount will go to your server directly. They must turn it in, but they will get it back. If they try to hide or sneak the extra money and they get caught it is an AUTOMATIC loss of job- no exceptions.
Old June 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

For those who remove the auto-tip and "tip in cash"
This causes a couple of things to happen.
1. The crew member in question is asked what they did wrong to have their tip removed. They must explain or turn over your cash tip for the pool. If left on auto-tip, they aren't questioned and may keep the xtra cash tip then.
2. The serve team is informed that you have removed your auto-tip. So they KNOW the tip is in question. They also KNOW that 92% of all those that remove the auto-tip to, "TIP IN CASH INSTEAD." Do not tip at all---EVER. So removing the auto-tip lumps you in that group for the week, don't think I'd like to be thought of that way.
Leave the auto-tip in place, its the same as tipping at the end[unless you intend to stiff the help]
First, if the service is sufficient, you're done[or you can add some extra in cash. Secondly, IT IS NOT tipping in advance of service. Yes it is memo billed to your account but you do not pay that account until the cruise ends and you may adjust or remove the tip anywhere along the cruise. So the "DON'T TIP IN ADVANCE" arguement does not hold water.
Additionally, the number of days are not a factor, if you can afford a 20 day cruise, you can afford 20 days tips.
Lastly, the $10 pp per day is well below what you would [or should] tip for 3 meals per day in a resort, add the room steward and it is well below what you should be tipping.

Dan
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Beginner

I take several $1.00's, the room service staff is not included in the $xxp/day tip. I usually have juice and coffee in our cabin in the am, a dollar or two is fine...remember, T.I.P. stands for <T>o [i]nsure

rompt service.<g>

Aloha,.....Val
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Close. The P = Promptness