Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to LoriFlorida
Default Renting a Car in St. Martin

Hi Everyone,

We are sailing on Carribean Princess on Oct 14th for 7 days. My Hubby and I were discussing trying to see the islands. I am in a wheel chair and there is very limited excusions. So we were thinking and read up some on renting a car for the day from like Avis or Budget. I was looking for any feed back from people that has done this or known someone that has. We're a couple with lots of energy mid 50's only draw back is my wheelchair. From what we have read there is very small chance of getting lost on St. Martin as the one main road goes all the round the island and returns to Phillipburg. I understand we will be on the island from about 8 til 5PM. Any information from experienced cruisers would be appreciated, This is only our 2 nd cruise,but we always feel like there was so much to see that we miss. One more question is the shopping district In St. Martin close enough from where we dock to walk it?

Thanks ahead of time for all the help. I am so excited for this down time and cruise. Lori 8) 8)
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There are several car rental agencies right at the port, and it's not difficult to rent a vehicle. We've done this on several visits to St Mart, and have encountered no difficulties in getting around the island.

There is a small shopping center at the pier, but the main downtown shop are would be a bit of a walk. Taxi's are available pretty easily and fairly cheaply though.
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to catsas
Default Car rental in St. Martin

We were there in Feb 05 and rented a vehicle. The agencies are located to the right as you exit the pier. As soon as it was apparent that we were renting a vehicle and not merely lost, the vendors descended on us like a horde. The biggest and by far the largest of the hawkers quickly assumed command and dared anyone else to try for our business, but don't be scared off by these tactics to find the vehicle you really want. You can barter as well. We got a new Honda CRV which had room for 4 people and a whellchair in the back. It cost us $80 USD for the day, plus gas. We thought it funny that the gas station closest to the dock closed just as we got there and we were forced to pay "extra" for the gas used (not very much gas) and if we didn't want a receipt and paid cash, the amount was less (go figure). As for downtown, I believe there is (was?) a ferry shuttle from the dock to the beach close to downtown. The cost was minimal. Enjoy! Make sure to visit the beach on the approach to the runway at the airport. Fantastic pictures. It is Sunset Beach and Pricess Juliana airport. Again, enjoy.