Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Beginner

Default Do I need a passport?

I am taking my 20 y/o daughter on a carribean cruise from Fort
Lauderdale for 7 days on the Star Princess in March 2007. I am a
US citizen and have been told I am not required to have a passport
nor either is my daughter. What should I bring? Do they need a certified
copy of our birth certificates? or is our driver's liscenses sufficient?
Any ideas or responses would be welcome! Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Admiral

As of today, a passport is not required. However, in the long run get one. The sooner the better.

A offical copy of your BC and DL is all you need now. Hospital BCs with the feet on them don't work.

I'll let the others chime in about getting stuck and having to fly home.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Do I need a passport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2627
Hi Nancy,

Effective on 23 Jan 2007 travel, even to the Caribbean will require a passport.
My wife and i have been cruising for several years and find it much more convenient to travel with a passport instead of have to have two forms of identification ( a birth certificate with a raised seal - and a picture ID).
Trust me a passport will be much easier for you and you daughter to travel.

Good Luck - happy sailing,
Richard
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrembl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2627
Hi Nancy,

Effective on 23 Jan 2007 travel, even to the Caribbean will require a passport.
My wife and i have been cruising for several years and find it much more convenient to travel with a passport instead of have to have two forms of identification ( a birth certificate with a raised seal - and a picture ID).
Trust me a passport will be much easier for you and you daughter to travel.

Good Luck - happy sailing,
Richard
Not true. That is for AIR only. Not by ship.

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Also the BC does NOT have to have a raised seal. We put that to bed months ago.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Admiral

You don't need one for this cruise.

But why wait? You'll need one for the next cruise.

Why worry about all the goofy junk you will need as a substitute?

Why worry about how messed up things will be if your cruise gets interrupted for some reason and you have to fly back to the US? Ooops.

Why not get it over with and relax?

It's just not worth playing passport roulette.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Default To avoid confussion

If you want to avoid confussion and get the latest information on changes to the passport policy as well as where to go and what to do the Travel Industry Association has a new web site that will answer all your questions. Find them at www.getapassportnow.com
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Admiral

There is no confussion. What I posted is 100% correct.

Old January 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Nancy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Any ideas or responses would be welcome!
As of right now, you must have (1) proof of identity and (2) proof of citizenship to enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, or the Caribbean nations by land or by sea. A passport satisfies both requirements, and it's machine readable so the immigration officers can just scan it. Alternate proof of citizenship is typically either an official birth certificate (with the official seal of a government agency) or an official copy of naturalization papers. Alternate proof of identity must be a photo identification card issued by a government agency, such as a driver's license, voter registration card, armed forces identification card, or student identification issued by a public school, college, or university.

The real problem with using the alternative proof of identification and alternative proof of citizenship is the complications that would arise if some sort of emergency forces you to termiante your cruise in a foreign port and fly home. The U. S. government now requires a passport for everybody who enters the United States by air from any foreign country, regardless of citizenship. In such an emergency, you would have to obtain a temporary passport, valid for one entry, from a consulate or embassy wherever you disembark before you could board a flight back to the States. I'm not sure how long it takes a consulate or embassy to issue a temporary passport, but it would delay your return to the States, which is precisely what you don't need an emergency, in any case. 5huw, I strongly recommend getting a passport before you go.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Nancy, apply for the passports NOW. The estimated turn-around time for passports is about 6 weeks. We applied for ours in early December and we got them in about 4 weeks.
Get your passport for all the reasons mentioned.
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Yes, go ahead and get them asap. They will be needed anyways and it's better to beat the rush.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Beginner

Your only problem not having a passport now is if something happens to you on an island and you have to leave the ship and fly home - you will have trouble without a passport.

I would suggest doing it now.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Passenger

I'd get one now because sooner or later it'll be mandatory everywhere, it's simply a damn good piece of ID to have.

CIAO,
Steve
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Passenger

Default Passport

Yes get a passport as soon as you can !
North to Alaska
Royal Princess January 6, 2009
14 days in the Caribbean
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to luv2travl

My husband and I are in Buenos Aires on an extended stay: my mother has not been well and passed away last week. MY husband is an American citizen and went to the Consulate on Tuesday to have extra pages added to his passport (which is only 5 years old), as he has space for 8 stamps and we will be leaving Argentina for Chile next weekend and cruising on the Golden (Irish Shark, here we come on the same cruise!!). Much to his chagrin, the computers were down at the consulate and he was given a phone number to call on Wed after 2pm. When he called, he got a message to call between 8-12, yet he had to call to make sure their computers were up and his pick-up time was for 3pm. He had no way to make it to the consulate by 3pm, as he is staying out of town --- so the morale of the story is: BE PREPARED - at the last count he had enough spaces for 8 stamps, which may put him at enough for this cruise (if they hunt for spaces. He has used his passport for the last 5 years as ID for crossing between US/Canada; he has found that is a much simpler that having to have Birth Certificate and Driver's license -
the US Government states that you need a passport for travel to/from South America .... what is new here ... for as long as I remember one has needed a passport to travel from South America (Colombia/Venezuela and further south).
Simplify life and get a passport now, you never know when the consulate lines are long and their computers are DOWN!!!
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Do you post on the other board? If so are you going to Skywalkers for the get together?

Old February 16th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Beginner

Yes to both your questions. Will you be going?
This is the first time that I have dealt with boards - it is interesting. I had seen your name come up on the other one, too.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Admiral

If I can find the darn place we will be there. Been on the Grand and the Golden and haven't found it yet. I got some tips on the other board that said the ship's map is not right.

Old February 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Irish Shark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If I can find the darn place we will be there. Been on the Grand and the Golden and haven't found it yet. I got some tips on the other board that said the ship's map is not right.
Aboard MV Grand Princess, Skywalker's Disco is pretty easy to find. Just take the aft ladder or outboard lift all the way to the top (Sky Deck), then go aft on the moving sidewalk. The two inboard lifts stop at the Lido Deck, so they won't get you there.

Norm.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the info, I figured we were going to trek around the ship finding out how to get there - we were on the Star in 2003 for the Alaskan cruise and never found our way around the ship. I dislike big ships. I found the old Royal and the Sea to be at the upper end of adequate size.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Passenger

Default OF INTEREST FOR YOU

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

Please be advised that while originally the U.S. Department of State regulations stipulated that passports would be needed by January 8, 2007 for land and sea travel, recently passed legislation has deferred this date until at least January 1, 2008. However, all passengers traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will still be required to present a valid U.S. passport beginning January 8, 2007. Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the U.S., should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the U.S. by air. As such, Princess Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a passport by January 8, 2007. Information regarding the passport requirements is available at www.travel.state.gov. Foreign nationals should contact their governments for further details.

Many countries require your passport to be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. Please ensure the name on the passport matches the name on the booking. Additionally, ensure your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.

A valid passport is required of all non-U.S. and non-Canadian citizens for all itineraries. It is also required of all U.S. and Canadian citizens sailing on non-domestic itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, South Pacific and Tahiti.

For itineraries ending in 2006 in which a passport is not required, U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have a valid passport must provide the following proof of citizenship: A naturalization certificate or an original certified birth certificate from the state of their birth (a hospital certificate will not suffice) together with a valid, government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license. Although recommended, photo identification is not required for those 18 years and younger at the time of printing. U.S. Resident Aliens are required to present, in addition to a valid passport, a valid Alien Resident card. Canadian permanent residents are required to present a valid Permanent Resident card in addition to a valid passport. On domestic cruises, ensure your travel documents are valid through the completion of travel.

Please check back for further updates.

http://www.princess.com/answer/ready.html

Old February 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Default ENOUGH ALREADY

Get the passports and put all this nonsense to bed !!!!!!

CIAO,
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08