Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Familiar Face

Default Just returned from Crown Southern Cruise

Just got back on Sat. Had a great time. If you have question about this cruise--just let me know.
Royal Caribbean 1996
Carnival 2000
Holland 2002
Holland 2004-ooster-east
Holland 2005 veen-west
Holland 2006-Westr-east
Princess 2007-Crown
NCL-Feb. 2008-Sun-west
NCL-Feb.-2009-Spirit
Princess Crown-Mar. 2010-west
Royal Caribbean-Brillance-Oct 2010-Medit
Princess 2012-Crown-South
Princess 2013-Crown-South
NCL -2014-Jewel-western
Royal Caribbean-2015-Jewel/seas-South
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just returned from Crown Southern Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblank28
Just got back on Sat. Had a great time. If you have question about this cruise--just let me know.
Glad to hear you had a great time! We sail on this ship, first time with Princess, in October through New England and Canada, so our itinerary will be different. My questions are:

Did you do traditional or anytime dining? How was your choice - did it work well for you and do you have any recommendations for one versus the other?

How was your cabin - specifically the A/C? Have read numerous posts that the air conditioning leaves a little to be desired. If this truly is a problem, we may consider packing a small portable fan.

Any other insights will be appreciated.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Familiar Face

Hope you have a great cruise. We did anytime dining. It worked well for us. Even with anytime dining, you can make a reservation if you want a specific time. When you go in, they ask if you want to share a table. The first night it was a table for 6. Nice to meet new people. The second night they gave us a table for 10. Too large to be able to talk to the people at the other end. Also, it took 2 1/2 hours for dinner by the time each person got each course of food. After that, we requested a table for 2 or 4. That worked better, so it didn't take so long for dinner.

I see from your message, that you are a well traveled cruiser. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the other cruise lines. We chose our cruise for the itinerary. Out favorite had always been HAL, and although this cruise was nice, I would go back to HAL next time. I felt there were too many little charges like to get ice cream, and all the fancy dining rooms. The meals were ok, but not spectacular. Breakfasts were boring and the same everyday. I didn't feel tha bakery was freshly baked as on HAL.

The AC was tolerable. I had it set on the coldest setting the whole time. Could have been cooler while sleeping, but that is personal preference. We did not have a balcony, so I would think if the doors were open, it would be rather hot, and difficult to keep cool.

If you like your cocktails, pack your bottle in you checked luggage. I saves alot of money.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Royal Caribbean 1996
Carnival 2000
Holland 2002
Holland 2004-ooster-east
Holland 2005 veen-west
Holland 2006-Westr-east
Princess 2007-Crown
NCL-Feb. 2008-Sun-west
NCL-Feb.-2009-Spirit
Princess Crown-Mar. 2010-west
Royal Caribbean-Brillance-Oct 2010-Medit
Princess 2012-Crown-South
Princess 2013-Crown-South
NCL -2014-Jewel-western
Royal Caribbean-2015-Jewel/seas-South
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblank28
Hope you have a great cruise. We did anytime dining. It worked well for us. Even with anytime dining, you can make a reservation if you want a specific time. When you go in, they ask if you want to share a table. The first night it was a table for 6. Nice to meet new people. The second night they gave us a table for 10. Too large to be able to talk to the people at the other end. Also, it took 2 1/2 hours for dinner by the time each person got each course of food. After that, we requested a table for 2 or 4. That worked better, so it didn't take so long for dinner.

I see from your message, that you are a well traveled cruiser. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the other cruise lines. We chose our cruise for the itinerary. Out favorite had always been HAL, and although this cruise was nice, I would go back to HAL next time. I felt there were too many little charges like to get ice cream, and all the fancy dining rooms. The meals were ok, but not spectacular. Breakfasts were boring and the same everyday. I didn't feel tha bakery was freshly baked as on HAL.

The AC was tolerable. I had it set on the coldest setting the whole time. Could have been cooler while sleeping, but that is personal preference. We did not have a balcony, so I would think if the doors were open, it would be rather hot, and difficult to keep cool.

If you like your cocktails, pack your bottle in you checked luggage. I saves alot of money.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Appreciate the "well traveled" We feel we are, but not as much as some. We, too, choose first by itinerary and then by cruiseline. When we went to Alaska, which is our first and only time on HAL, we started out giving consideration to HAL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, NCL and CCL. We narrowed our choice down to HAL based on a variety of factors, price, final itinerary, reviews, amenities, cabin size, etc. I actually did a spreadsheet with all the deciding factors involved that were important to us, even down to the number of hours in each port and the square footage of the room and the balcony and that was what led us to choosing HAL. We narrowed our choice to the Statendam based on our particular timeframe and we wanted a smaller ship and the Statendam fit all requirements. Plus, we wanted to spoil ourselves and believed that HAL would do that and they did. That cruiseline is everything that we were expecting. The service, the crew, the food, the stateroom, all were above and beyond our expectations. But, we were also told that there would be a lot of "gray hair" on that ship, and there was. We were both 48 at the time, and have to admit that there was a somewhat older crowd, but we knew that going into it and still had a great time. I would have to say that our favorite cruiseline is RCCL and will probably be that still even after this cruise on Princess. We, too, are concerned with the "nickel and diming" that has been alluded to in many posts and that the food may not be the greatest and the A/C is lacking, but we deliberately set out to try a different cruiseline and wanted one of the newer larger ships. The Crown Princess fits all of our requirements at this point. Beautiful ship, good service, decent food, nice room, MUTS sounds like fun, so on and so forth, but the really important and deciding factor was the itinerary. We almost went with NCL Dawn as the price was A LOT less than this cruise, but the reviews of the ship were not what we wanted, and we desire a little more glamour without too much so, size, amenities, all were there for us in the Crown Princess. I did one of my spreadsheets again and the Crown Princess won hands down in comparison with NCL and RCCL. We had already eliminated HAL for this cruise; a little nervous about trying them again (Sorry!) and we deliberately decided against Carnival. A little tired of CCL. Have heard from many that CCL is trying to counter their "party boat" image, but don't see that happening. Can't beat their prices a lot of times, but they still draw a "partying" crowd and for someone that wants that out of their cruise, they need to go for it and enjoy themselves. We have found their smaller ships to be heads above the others in that the crew is more personable, willing to be "of service" and cleanliness and food quality is better. Of course, we can only compare the Holiday and Celebration to the Fascination (only bigger ship of CCL that we have sailed on) but that was an awful cruise and we won't chance that again. Still want to try Celebrity, but after this cruise, we will probably head for Europe in 2008 and, unless we are really "wow'ed" by Princess, will look for RCCL. But, at the same time, HAL has really, really good reviews for their European cruises and lots of good itineraries, so we may still try HAL again. I think that NCL is a little too relaxed for us, based on what we have read. Don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, these are simply our humble opinions. Did not mean to ramble on, but we love general discussions of this nature. Often learn more than specific question and answer forums.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on the Crown in October, with a few friends we met on our last cruise, who have become such great friends of ours. We will be doing southern caribbean which we've done before, love the islands especially Aruba? Can you tell me waht you liked the best on this ship and the least, and maybe what you would of done different? From rumors I've heard Princess has more older passengers is this true? As of now our favorite cruise liner is Royal Caribbean and Carnival is our least favorite. Any info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks Jessie
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

We are thinking about a southern caribbean cruise on Crown in October. Is the ship nice? Is it old looking?
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I booked our cruise on the Crown Princess for October 2006. The travel agent who helped us book the cruise just came back from the Crown and she said it's a beautiful ship and she enjoyed her cruise very much. What's nice about the Crown, it's not even a year old yet. Enjoy your cruise if you decided to go.