Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Default Emerald Balconies??

Can anyone tell me which balconies are half open, half covered? I've read that you can look down onto all of them, but isn't there a deck where you have half covered (private)? Trying to decide which deck we want for a future cruise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
First Mate

I was curious as well. Looking at Paul's pics in the photo gallery, it looks like only the three lowest balcony decks (8, 9 and 10) are not totally covered but I could be wrong.

Search the gallery by "Emerald" and choose the 3rd match that comes up. There are three photos, two side view and one straight down.

Old October 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Passenger

I am also curious about this. We are booked on the Emerald Princess, category BB on the Riviera deck. Are these balconies private? Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Familiar Face

I have not been on the Emerald Princess, though I'm assuming she is configured much like the Crown. If so, the balconies on the Dolphin deck (all minisuites) are totally un-covered. The balconies on the Caribe deck right above it are partially covered and partially open. The balconies on all other decks are covered, I believe.
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Hi,

I just got back from a Princess Cruise down to the Mexican Riviera. My sister and I were in Emerald 415. We had a partial view and it was with a 'half' boat. We could see quite a bit from our room and there was never anyone in that area walking around. Pretty private if you want to leave the curtains open.

Hope that helps.
Denise
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

For Grand Class Princess ships ( Grand, Golden, Sapphire, Diamond, Star, Caribbean, Crown and the Emerald) - regular balcony cabins on port or starbord side of ships on decks Lido, Aloha, Baja, Riviera decks are sized 9 ft. wide x 5 ft. deep and are fully covered by ceiling overhang. No one can look down on you but those below can look up at you if you are standing at balcony rail.

Caribe deck cabins on starboard and port sides are sized 9 ft wide x 9 ft. deep and are covered by ceiling overhang for first 5 ft. When sitting under this cover, no one from above can see you.

Dolphin deck (mini-suite) cabins on starboard and port sides are sized 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep and have no ceiling overhang. No privacy from those standing on balconies above you.

Category AE mini suites are fully covered. If you can, get one of the farthest aft cabins because those two cabins have huge oversized decks and are more private than any mini-suite on board.

Aft facing Category BB balconies on Baja decks, Caribe deck and Dolphin are regular balcony cabins but the balconies are sized about 11 ft. wide x 10 ft. deep and are fully covered by ceiling overhang. No one above or below can see you.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Passenger

Hey thanks, Irish Shark! Great details - just what I needed!
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Passenger

Just came off the Emerald Princess and the balances on the Caribe deck are the largest on the ship and are half uncovered.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Thanks! How did you enjoy your cruise on the Emerald?
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Passenger

I don't think that I can give you the right adjective. The Emerald Princess was fantastic, wonderful, awesome.....