Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default Formal nights

My wife and I are about to complete our third cruise on NCL and are considering a South American cruise in 2009 on Star Princess . We most defintely do not enjoy dressing for supper beyond " resort casual " The cruise we are considering has two formal nights . We would sign up for anytime dining . Are we expected to wear a suit, cocktail dress etc ? I know we could just head for the buffet but prefer restaurant seating for our main meal of the day . Thank you for your help .
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal nights

oilbert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My wife and I are about to complete our third cruise on NCL and are considering a South American cruise in 2009 on Star Princess . We most defintely do not enjoy dressing for supper beyond " resort casual " The cruise we are considering has two formal nights . We would sign up for anytime dining . Are we expected to wear a suit, cocktail dress etc ? I know we could just head for the buffet but prefer restaurant seating for our main meal of the day . Thank you for your help .
Princess's "personal choice" cruising is NOT the same as Norwegian Cruise Line's "freestyle cruising" -- and dress standards are one of the major differences. Princess's stated policy is that "formal" evenings still require "modified formal" attire, meaning that gentlemen wear either "black tie" (tuxedos or dinner jackets) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suits and ladies wear either full length dresses or formal cocktail dresses. Princess also states that the evening's dress code applies "throughout the ship, except in designated casual areas" (the only official "designated casual areas" being the buffet restaurant and the pool areas, where some ships now have "Movies Under the Stars"). In practice, enforcement may be inconsistent but enough passengers will conform to ensure that non-conformers with any sense of social decorum will feel very self-conscious.

I should also mention that the "formal" evenings are always the evenings when Princess's chefs serve up their best menus in the main dining rooms, the cast stages on the line's best shows, and the ships hold very classy events befitting a "formal" evening (I won't spoil your experience by describing them) that don't occur on other evenings. If you "opt out" of the "formal" evenings on Princess, you will miss some of the most memorable moments of a Princess cruise.

The bottom line here is that you have to make a choice. If you opt to cruise with Princess, plan on dressing for the two "formal" evenings and participating in them fully. If packing formalwear is the issue, Princess offers a rental service that will deliver formalwear (for both men and women) to your cabin at the start of the cruise and collect it from your cabin at the end of the cruise. If you don't want to dress properly for the "formal" evenings, it really would be better either to stick with Norwegian Cruise Line or to go with an "all casual" cruise line such as Oceania Cruises, Disney Cruises, or Azamara Cruises.

Norm.
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
First Mate

If you go to the dining room, yes you will need to dress up. However, if you don't dress up and eat at the buffet, you will NOT be banned from other areas of the ship!

There are some people that would prefer that everyone around them be dressed to the hilt, but it's NOT required! We do not participate in the formal dining, but we do attend the shows and we wear decent clothes. We have walked through the atrium in shorts while people were getting their formal pictures taken. It's great to people watch!

You do NOT need to restrict yourself to NCL if you want to be casual. We've been on NCL and we will be going on our 7th Princess cruise this weekend and we will not be participating in the formal dining, but we will not be hibernating in our cabin just because a few people are offended by our lack of formal wear.

Relax and have a great time.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Rarely have I ever seen anybody dressed to the hilt anymore...mostly suits and dressier resort wear..tuxes and gowns, are worn but not like years past.

More often, I have seen people dressed more like they are going to the office. If you have a sport coat an a nice pair of slacks...and your wife has a dressier top, and nice slacks, head for the dining room.. I sat with someone on formal night, who was in a white shirt, with his tee shirt sticking out, and jeans:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Passenger

I just got back from the Golden at the beggining of the month. There were 2 formal nights. On the first, I just wore a nice sport coat and dark slacks and a shirt/tie. There were only a handfull of men in tuxes. On the second formal night I just wore a nice shirt and slacks. There were a few more tuxes that night because it was also the Captin's Circle dinner thing.

If there wasn't so many that didn't dress up the first night I would have dress up more the second. I never felt out of place wearing what I wore, and most men just wore sport coats or suits. If you don't worry about what others think, wear what you want, but do remember that some people take the formal nights really seriously.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

oilbert, since you are considering a south american cruise, the dynamics are a bit different than a carribean cruise. The crowd will tend to be an older more seasoned crowd which in my experience is more traditional when it comes to dress. With that being said i can tell you that on our trans-panama canal cruise on Princess the vast majorty of men were in dark suits or tuxedos and most of the ladies wore long dresses, dressy cocktail dresses or dressy pantsuits, and most folks stayed dressed for the entire evening
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM
First Mate

We just got the DP from Hawaii & most people do adhere to the formal evenings. I choose not to dress as formal nor does my wife & nothing has ever be said. I just put on my jacket without a tie with a golf shirt to be comfortable. My wife dresses with a light weight pants suit & mixes it up with a different top on the second formal night. After diner most people will usually change out of their more formal ware for the shows. (some even ware shorts although the show lounge is a little cool for me)
Casual evenings consist of a pair of clean pressed jeans (similar to Dockers) with a 3 button shirt for me. Again - as long as it's neat in appearance they'll never say a word.