CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Star Princess or NCL Pearl for Alaska? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/343206-star-princess-ncl-pearl-alaska.html)

sundiego December 7th, 2007 01:14 PM

Star Princess or NCL Pearl for Alaska?

The Pearl has gotten some really good reviews,
and its a new ship, but something just tells me
princess service, food, would be better.
Please help me decide which ship to choose.
Thanks

subtropic December 9th, 2007 11:43 PM

I have to go with Princess because we did Alaska on that line and it was fantastic.

thinfool1 December 11th, 2007 07:56 PM

:!: Yep, Princess. :D

Not that it is really important, but NCL ships seem to use tenders in many of the Alaska ports, whereas Princess ties right up to the dock.

isabelrushton December 12th, 2007 12:07 PM

I find the 2 lines to be virtually interchangable as far as quality of product goes. We are not fans of traditional dining so prefer NCL as there are many more dining options both free and surcharged. We loved the Pearl and loved Alaska too.

isabelrushton December 13th, 2007 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinfool1
:!: Yep, Princess. :D

Not that it is really important, but NCL ships seem to use tenders in many of the Alaska ports, whereas Princess ties right up to the dock.

Just noticed this and have to disagree. We were on the Pearl to Alaska last August. Our ports were Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria. We docked in prime positions at all the ports.

PacificHeights7 December 16th, 2007 11:17 PM

Princess Is So Much Better Than Norwegian

Holland America holds the prize as first place for cruising Alaska. Princess had gained a solid reputation for providing a quality Alaskian cruise. NCL's business model is focused on "mass market" appeal.

Selecting between Princess and NCL is easy. Princess is a much better cruise line than Norwegian.

jillharrell December 27th, 2007 04:56 PM

I was glad to see this post because I am also wondering the same thing. We are a family booked for an Alaskan cruise at the end of June 2008. Our travel agent reccommended the Star Princess but since we booked I have read great reviews on the Pearl. I am especially concerned which the children (13,13 and 17 )might enjoy more. Any suggestions would be great. Also any recommendations on excursions. Thanks in advance.

Jill

nmnita December 28th, 2007 06:42 PM

which is the better line is a matter of opinion, you will have those who are true Princess fans and those who are loyal to NCL> I happen to be very pro NCL but one thing about Princess: they do know how to do Alaska. FOr those traveling with kids, NCL has a better kids program. My opinion is based on reviews, both professional and those posted by cruisers themselves.

Nita :wink:

gfleo December 29th, 2007 09:40 AM

That's what I heard too, from a lady I met on one of my cruises this year.She told me that she went last year on Princess with her kids, and they were really bored, because there wasn't much to do for them.

jillharrell January 3rd, 2008 04:02 PM

bump