Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Default 1st Cruise for Family of 5: we could use some suggestions

We are going to set sail on the Caribbean Princess for the Eastern Carib, Mom, Dad, Sons 10,11 & daughter 14. two rooms and we are travelling with family friends. We picked any time dining and are now trying to figure out what to do on our stops at St. Mart & st thomas. Personally I can't imagine wanting the stress of getting a cab to get to a beach & back on time. Seems like a pain. Having said that does anyone have a suggestion for these two stops? Is it worth bringing our own snorkels and masks intead of renting at Princess Cay? Any suggestions would be most welcome as this is all new to us.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming first cruise!
Since you mentioned snorkeling i will highly suggest that you take the time and make the small effort to get your family over to St. John Island when you are port at St. Thomas. Getting a taxi is really easy at St.Thomas, there are taxi vans lined up at the pier and people to guide you to your taxis. It takes a taxi trip, a water ferry ride and a taxi to the beach on St. John, go to www.vinow.com for great info on the water taxi, and beaches. St. John is a gorgeous island and the snorkeling is very good. If you feel uncomfortable doing this on your own then by all means book a ships tour to St. John Island. If you want to stay on St. Thomas proper then i would suggest Sapphire Beach. Do your beach in the morning, go back to the ship, drop off your beach stuff, grab a bite to eat and then go shopping.
St. Maarten is another gorgeous beach island, again taxis are very easily available at the pier. Orient Beach is by far the most popular beach on St. Maarten, it is a french beach so it is topless and there is one section way down the end that is clothing optional. Dawn Beach is another great beach choice. We booked a ships excursion on our last trip to St. Maarten we booked the Golden Eagle Catamaran sail - totally loved this excursion, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Its a great family trip. You sail on this beautiful cat over to Tintimar island preserve where you can swim, snorkel, veg out on the beach, food and drink is provided.
Definately bring your own snorkel and mask, rent fins.
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 1st Cruise for Family of 5: we could use some suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggus
We are going to set sail on the Caribbean Princess for the Eastern Carib, Mom, Dad, Sons 10,11 & daughter 14. two rooms and we are travelling with family friends. We picked any time dining and are now trying to figure out what to do on our stops at St. Mart & st thomas. Personally I can't imagine wanting the stress of getting a cab to get to a beach & back on time. Seems like a pain. Having said that does anyone have a suggestion for these two stops? Is it worth bringing our own snorkels and masks intead of renting at Princess Cay? Any suggestions would be most welcome as this is all new to us.
I am sure you will get lots of suggestions and here are mine: St Thomas, I would go to Meghans Bay if nothing else. The other option take the ferry over to St Johns. AS for ST Martin, the American Cup race excurtion is supposed to be great. We choose just to walk around town and head back to the ship. Some may suggest Orient Beach, if you don't already know, it is very pretty but also nude optional.

Your own snorkeling gear, I am not one who worries about germs so I just use what they furnish, but others will totally disagree with me on this one. We did take our own gear a couple of times; it is just such a pain in the #ss.

Nita
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Passenger

princess cayes is fun, lots to do there and lunch is served as well.
get some shade immediately upon arrival as all chairs are not in any shade.
Pack light, rooms are small.
Take snorkeling stuff, mask and snorkel is enough
all must have aqua shoes when in the ocean as there are shells and live things to step on that will hurt you
buy the $49 coke card, you can all use one but they give you a sicker for your one card and a coke container so easily two of you can use it or pass the container around and share.