Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Beginner

Default How does Princess Compare?

Both in our 40's have been on RCL Mariner and Monarch and loved them both, and on Carnival Glory and the Fantasy (Gave it a fair shot and don't care for Carnival). How does Princess compare? We booked a category PH on the Caribbean Princess in November and were curious how it compared to the other major lines comparing suite accomodations and perks? Especially around the atmosphere. Is it loud and cheap like carnival or in between like RCL? The real turn off for us on RCL is the inflexible dining and on Carnival EVERYTHING in general. Waiting 30 minutes for the pool waiter to return with an drink is terrible.
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Admiral

My famous frase again "all mass marketed cruise lines are more alike than different" I have stayed in a suite so that part I can not answer. I can tell you the food, especailly the entrees are very good, similar to HAL and maybe better. The buffet was just ok, the set up sucks, but a buffet is a buffet.

I doubt you will wait long for a drink. The overall decor on the Golden anyway was very well done, no, not gaudy like Carnival.

I certainly don't think you will be disappointed.

Nita
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Hi there.. I took my first cruise with Princess in January (Caribbean Princess) with my mom..and was very disappointed. (I normally cruise at least once a year with my hubby, and we are both in our 40's, this cruise was a gift from my mom) The bar service was very slow, it literally took 25 minutes for us to get a drink, this includes the pool, lounges, piano bar and theatre. I am not sure what the problem was. The staff is not nearly as friendly as we have had on RCCL... (We have not cruised Carnival in years, so I am comparing RCCL to Princess)... the food was good, the breakfast buffet area is set up very disorganized, kind of in a circle, so gets very crowded and does not flow nicely.. The ship has 3100 passengers, yet the bar/show areas are very small, very overcrowded. Quite a few people were remarking how much friendlier and energetic the staff is on RCCL.. There was a bit of a stuffy atmosphere..believe me I love formal nights and getting dressed up, but don't enjoy uptight people or staff.

Princess does have excellent musicians, bands etc. There were some great comedians they had and a Beatle Mania type show was also great.

My mom has taken 30+ cruises...she was also shocked at how bad the service was, the attitudes..

I still enjoyed the cruise, had a great time, met some really great people, but definitely will book with RCCL for our next cruise to the Caribbean...

After all this, I am sure you will have a great time...a Caribbean cruise is still great!!

1990-1991-Chandris-Horizon
1999-Carnival Sensation, 2000- Inspiration, 2001- Destiny 2002-Celebrity Galaxy, 2003-Constellation, 2004-Constellation 2005-RCCL-Adventure of Seas, 2006-Constellation
2007-RCCL-Seranade&Explorer of Seas
2008-Princess-Caribbean Princess
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise59
Hi there.. I took my first cruise with Princess in January (Caribbean Princess) with my mom..and was very disappointed. (I normally cruise at least once a year with my hubby, and we are both in our 40's, this cruise was a gift from my mom) The bar service was very slow, it literally took 25 minutes for us to get a drink, this includes the pool, lounges, piano bar and theatre. I am not sure what the problem was. The staff is not nearly as friendly as we have had on RCCL... (We have not cruised Carnival in years, so I am comparing RCCL to Princess)... the food was good, the breakfast buffet area is set up very disorganized, kind of in a circle, so gets very crowded and does not flow nicely.. The ship has 3100 passengers, yet the bar/show areas are very small, very overcrowded. Quite a few people were remarking how much friendlier and energetic the staff is on RCCL.. There was a bit of a stuffy atmosphere..believe me I love formal nights and getting dressed up, but don't enjoy uptight people or staff.

Princess does have excellent musicians, bands etc. There were some great comedians they had and a Beatle Mania type show was also great.

My mom has taken 30+ cruises...she was also shocked at how bad the service was, the attitudes..

I still enjoyed the cruise, had a great time, met some really great people, but definitely will book with RCCL for our next cruise to the Caribbean...

After all this, I am sure you will have a great time...a Caribbean cruise is still great!!

Elise, we experieced some of what you did, but not anywhere near the extreme you are mentioning. The lack of friendliness hit us also; we normally cruise NCL but have cruised all mass marketed lines. The show room situation was a complaint we heard over and over. Apparently if you choose the late show this isnt a problem. We were not crazy over the show times; on many lines it seems the early show is closer to 7:30is and the late show about 9:30. This would be much better for us as we normally are in bed by 10:30 or so. If we go to the show at 10:15 we don't get to bed til midnight. This is just us and doesn't affect everyone I know.

We had no problems with the bar service. In fact it was pretty good as was the food and the entertainment.

Again, I agree with the attitude which totally surprised me. Be careful who you say this to; if you would like to start a real debate on this try the "other board" and say the same as you have here.

BTW, I still loved our cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Nita
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Appreciate the advice. I would be mostly comparing to RCCL also. Carinival is out of the question. Just cheap and loud. I don't understand why the show lounge is so small relative to the ship's size? The RCCL Mariner of the Seas had a huge three story show lounge and we never had a proble finding a seat, but if you wanted a good one you still had to be there 20 minutes early.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Captain

I think Princess is a huge step up from RCCL. The food and amenities on board are far more than what you find on RCCL. Every waiter and cabin that I have ever had has been very friendly and efficient. While there are a few ship employees that are not that good in their job or not friendly that is true for any and all cruise ships. Princess does a great job of maintaining their ships and I am certain that you will be very surprised at how fantastic a Princess cruise can be. The past passenger program at Princess is one of the best that I have seen. There are also more things to do on a Princess cruise but you will not find any belly flopping contest or hairy chest contest on Princess. It is a more refined upscale experience than RCCL.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

I think that since cruise has become so afffordable, you will find all kind of people on all the mass cruise lines......Princess included!!
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Independence OTS
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty of the Seas

C.Liberty (Sept'13)
Serenade of the Seas TA (Nov '13)
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Ihave numerous cruises on all lines and would like to know which Carnival ships you consider "loud and cheap"Have a hard time with this statement on their newer ships As for pricing they may be less than Celebrity but right in line with all the others.have just booked Carnival Splendor and I don,t think it will be loud and sure is not cheap on their 49 day trip arround south America. As for those on this cruise most of them are cruisers with many cruises on numerous lines and am sure will not be loud.Not a good statement on your part.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Beginner

Carnival, everyone from the trailer park who doesn't know any better.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Passenger

There are also more things to do on a Princess cruise but you will not find any belly flopping contest or hairy chest contest on Princess. It is a more refined upscale experience than RCCL..

Well, I can tell you on the Princess Cruise ship I was on there were all the same stupid pool games, with a mans sexy legs, with some chicks judging there was pretty trashy, not very not upscale, ..personally, I thought it was funny..and the great thing about a cruise is if you don't like that..you don't have to watch.
All cruises offer variety of things to do, so that is not unique to Princess....

1990-1991-Chandris-Horizon
1999-Carnival Sensation, 2000- Inspiration, 2001- Destiny 2002-Celebrity Galaxy, 2003-Constellation, 2004-Constellation 2005-RCCL-Adventure of Seas, 2006-Constellation
2007-RCCL-Seranade&Explorer of Seas
2008-Princess-Caribbean Princess
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Well,Your statements are getting even more stupid and based on your prior cruise experience whih includes a whopping 4 cruises on Rcl and Carnival short cruises I would not say you are any type expert on anything and I would like to hear the response to your comment on "trailer trash"on the Carnival message board .Your immature remarks do not belong on this board and definitely will cause some heated remarks by Carnival cruisers.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise59
There are also more things to do on a Princess cruise but you will not find any belly flopping contest or hairy chest contest on Princess. It is a more refined upscale experience than RCCL..

Well, I can tell you on the Princess Cruise ship I was on there were all the same stupid pool games, with a mans sexy legs, with some chicks judging there was pretty trashy, not very not upscale, ..personally, I thought it was funny..and the great thing about a cruise is if you don't like that..you don't have to watch.
All cruises offer variety of things to do, so that is not unique to Princess....
We too saw some of the pool contests on the Golden, I think we were aware of 2.

NIta
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Passenger

THE BEST THING FOR YOU TO DO IS JUST GO THERE WITH AN OPEN MIND AND ENJOY YOURSELF. WE CAN ALL FIND FAULTS WITH ANY CRUISE, BUT IS THAT WHAT GOING ON A CRUISE IS ABOUT ? NOT FOR ME. MAKE THE MOST OF IT.
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Beginner

Everyone deserves an opinion. no matter what it is. That is why there are options. Wow. These are all companies in business to turn a profit and there are no perfect companies, regardless of what anyone thinks. You could do a million cruises or vacations of any sort and someone else do the same ones at the same time and come up with two completely different opinions of each and every experience. No need to get angry. I like what one person said...relax and enjoy yourself. Besides, his is not a career, it's a vacation. Have a nice day.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
First Mate

No one is getting angry.They just don,t like the comment from the "trailer park"Get a life and by the way you should read some of the comments about the wonderful cruises on carnival and I am glad you pointed out you are a beginner as it fits your general comments.
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
No one is getting angry.They just don,t like the comment from the "trailer park"Get a life and by the way you should read some of the comments about the wonderful cruises on carnival and I am glad you pointed out you are a beginner as it fits your general comments.
I don't happen to be a Carnival lover myself but this doesn't meant the line is bad or filled with "trailer trash" you are right on that one. Of course the comment "trailer trash" is a pretty snobbish one to start with. I wonder if the poster has seen some of the parks in the desert towns near palm Spings, Ca or the beach cities there. How about the "trailer parks" in Florda? Some people need to finds ways to word things a little more diplimatically. (pay no attention to my spelling this morning, it is always bad and right now my glasses are in the bedroom, I don't want to wake DH up)

Nita
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
First Mate

Just for the record on some of the attributes of Carnival however would like to state that overall not my favorite With 110 days on Holland and top status on celebrity feel that I can give an objective opinion.On our last cruise on Spirit of Carnival ,we saw some of the best entertainment of all cruises.As for dining we had a fantastic meal in the alternative restaurant with our own dance trio along with a meal to die for which included Joe,s Stone Crabs which are served at one of Miami Beach,s best dining establishments for any number of years.Having lived in Alaska for 18 years with access to King Crab,I would compare this any day as to a real treat.Let,s put this to bed and and remember that Carnival is the owner of all the lines in question and they certainly will remain competitive in all aspects of their business.Am looking foreward to my 49 day trip arround along with 200 guests from the other board.
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Beginner

I have cruised three times with RCCL( Sovereign, Navigator and Grandeur) and once, recently with Princess on the CB. The ships, in terms of design and layout, were equally appealing in different ways. Princess moved to the top of the pile in terms of service and entertainment, both of which were excellent. Service was pleasant and attentive everywhere on the ship and entertainment was top-notch and varied. Having said that, the food was not as good overall, in terms of variety and quality on Princess and the Spa was disappointing in terms of its facilities and management.

All four experiences were wonderful vacations. Go with an open mind and approving gaze on things. I think many people ruin their own vacations by fixating on the negatives and not enjoying the positives.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin' Cath
I have cruised three times with RCCL( Sovereign, Navigator and Grandeur) and once, recently with Princess on the CB. The ships, in terms of design and layout, were equally appealing in different ways. Princess moved to the top of the pile in terms of service and entertainment, both of which were excellent. Service was pleasant and attentive everywhere on the ship and entertainment was top-notch and varied. Having said that, the food was not as good overall, in terms of variety and quality on Princess and the Spa was disappointing in terms of its facilities and management.

All four experiences were wonderful vacations. Go with an open mind and approving gaze on things. I think many people ruin their own vacations by fixating on the negatives and not enjoying the positives.
so true: yes, we had some disappointments on our Princess cruise. I think part was the build up, the ship just didn't quite measure up to what we expected. This this ruin our cruise? Absolutely No, we had a great time, many more positives than negatives.

Nita
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Passenger

You should be very pleased with Princess. In my opinion Princess is a step up from RCCL. And RCCL is a GIANT step up from Carnival. I found the staff and crew on Princess to be very accomodating. RCCL has nicer dining rooms and better entertainment. Princess has better staterooms and the food is a little better (but, Princess is not known for excellent foot).

You were wise to give up on Carnival. It (along with one other cruise line) has the highest "neon factor" of any of the lines. Princess has a slightly lower "neon factor" than RCCL.

For every person, there is a cruise line (and a ship in that line) that is the best match for him/her. I'd give it a shot if I were you.

Happy sailings. Let us know.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

We have always found the staff on Princess to be as nice and as accommodating as the highly praised staffs of Holland America. I nave never had to wait for a drink on princess, and have never had a bad meal.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Admiral

I don't know-maybe it's me. BUT- I have never had a real negative experience on any cruise line regarding service, food, attitude, etc. The biggest disappointment was a cancellation of a tour to St. John's and bypassing a day in St. Kitts-both weather related. Here's the comparison as I see it. IMHO
Carnival-more bang for the buck in cabins, sometimes garish decor, more of a "party atmosphere" (especially on the shorter cruises), great pizza, decent food in rooms and buffet.
RCCL-the most activities and ammenities (especially the newer megas), best ship layout, top notch service, decent food, great staff, best public rooms, pool service, & entertainment
Princess-more "laid back" atmosphere, somewhat older more sedate passengers, better food especially buffet, good service, less shipboard activities.
That said-I would cruise any of them without any consternation. I have concentrated on RCCL recently because of past cruise perks.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

The way I see it.........it's a ship, not a hotel and as ships go......I've never seen anything less than awesome when it comes to cruise ships.

When I focus on the negative, the negative grows.
When I focus on the POSITIVE the positive grows.

I'm just gr8fl to be there at all !

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just completed a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Golden; and, have been on RCCL's Vision once and Monarch twice. The cabin on Princess was quite a bit large, but the food on both RCCL ships was much better. Service on RCCL was also better, in my opinion. We thought that Princess was less obnoxious in pushing all the crappy money-maker options (jewelry, casino, excursions, etc.) than RCCL.

We've had a great time on every cruise we've been on, although NCL's close to the line with mediocre food and an overall bozo-attracting environment with the yellow beer helmets. Overall, we love Celebrity, with RCCL and Princess following.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff of Torrance
We just completed a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Golden; and, have been on RCCL's Vision once and Monarch twice. The cabin on Princess was quite a bit large, but the food on both RCCL ships was much better. Service on RCCL was also better, in my opinion. We thought that Princess was less obnoxious in pushing all the crappy money-maker options (jewelry, casino, excursions, etc.) than RCCL.

We've had a great time on every cruise we've been on, although NCL's close to the line with mediocre food and an overall bozo-attracting environment with the yellow beer helmets. Overall, we love Celebrity, with RCCL and Princess following.
out of curiosity what NCL ship were you on and when? This doesn't sound like the ones we have sailed on. Well, the food part, which is very subjective, maybe, but the rest not.

Nita
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Default whew

I'm new to cruising and was actually wondering the same thing about Princess. They have this site that I can enter to win a free cruise, and I was wondering what the quality of the line was. So glad I found this post, very informative...Is it more family or couple-oriented, or both?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

out of curiosity what NCL ship were you on and when? This doesn't sound like the ones we have sailed on. Well, the food part, which is very subjective, maybe, but the rest not.

We were on the Norwegian Star a about two or three years ago, on an 8-day Mexican Riviera cruise. Mostly it was fine, but just not as nice as the rest of our cruises on RCCL, Celebrity, and Princess. We thought that the main dining room food was OK, but pretty uneven. Some nights it was pretty good, and some nights not very good. The "included" (no extra cost) dining venues were definitely not very good, in our opinion. We didn't try any of the extra-cost dining opportunities.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylanc20
They have this site that I can enter to win a free cruise, and I was wondering what the quality of the line was.
Are you kidding? If I thought I could win a cruise on one of our Great Lakes ore boats I'd take it!

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Emmy, both -- and Princess is a very good line. beautiful ships, great crews. Well above the 'entry level lines.' IMHO

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

My first Princess cruise is in October and I'm really looking forward to it.

As for NCL, the one thing I thought when on the Norwegian Star in Hawaii was that the cabin was really nice and for my wife she felt that NCL blew Carnival away as far as activities. She's into arts and crafts and the NCL cruise had tons. Carnival hasn't offered as much it seemed.

Anyway......in October

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera