CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Whats your favourite ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/347782-whats-your-favourite-ship.html)

shiploger March 2nd, 2008 05:18 PM

Whats your favourite ship

Hi guys whats your favourite ship and why ? For me it would have to be the Grand Princess because it was the first cruise i went on and thats where the bug started. Its the whole magic of your first cruise everythings new to you and great places to visit. Then you are hooked for life.

richstacy March 2nd, 2008 05:38 PM

Wow, shiploger, that is really a hard one :!:

The Island Princess is a great ship, So have been the Holland America ships we have more than 100 days on -- and the Crystal Harmony was wonderful.

But I think I'd have to give the nod to the old Crown Odyssey, then of the former Royal Cruise Line. [Now the newly refurbished Balmoral with Fred. Olson Cruise Line] We took our first two week cruise on her in 1991 from London to St. Petersburg and back, and since it was our first real cruise, there was something magical about it.

Then years later, when she was under the 'Orient' flag, we cruised on her again from Auckland New Zealand to Los Angeles, clear across the Pacific. A wonderful cruise :!: So she'll always have a special place in my heart.

But then, like many others, we are now addicted to balconies/verandahs and so it would be hard to go back to the old Crown Odyssey.

In a couple of weeks we'll be going on our first mega-ship, the Crown Princess -- maybe it will turn out to be our favorite. :)

mehawk March 3rd, 2008 01:21 AM

Re: Whats your favourite ship

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiploger
Hi guys whats your favourite ship and why ? For me it would have to be the Grand Princess because it was the first cruise i went on and thats where the bug started. Its the whole magic of your first cruise everythings new to you and great places to visit. Then you are hooked for life.

The Grand is the only Princess ship I have been on and that was when she was sailing out of Galveston.

shiploger March 3rd, 2008 05:10 AM

Richstacy thats the problem with the older ships, yes the have great character and look great to the eye but they dont have all the options you get on the large ship.

richstacy March 3rd, 2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiploger
Richstacy thats the problem with the older ships, yes the have great character and look great to the eye but they dont have all the options you get on the large ship.

Yes, and regardless of fond memories it's hard to go back.

Trip March 4th, 2008 08:42 AM

I have sailed Princess 3 times, on the Sea & Grand/Golden. I loved the Sea, but the G/G, while I had good cruises, the ships choppy layout left many of us finding the dining room a pain...I swear there are Princess ghosts, still looking for it;)

I would love to sail the newer ships one day soon.

richstacy March 4th, 2008 07:07 PM

Yeah but trip what was your favorite ship :?:

Come to think of it, I could benefit from not being able to find the dining room :!: :D

Trip March 4th, 2008 08:04 PM

The Sea Princess!!:):)

Sanibel*Gal March 5th, 2008 11:52 AM

Our first Princess cruises were on the Grand & Caribbean, then we did the 10 day Panama Canal on the Coral Princess. I just loved that ship - so that would be my fav.! :D

LisaK March 5th, 2008 01:49 PM

Royal Princess, she is classy and elegant

mehawk March 6th, 2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip
I have sailed Princess 3 times, on the Sea & Grand/Golden. I loved the Sea, but the G/G, while I had good cruises, the ships choppy layout left many of us finding the dining room a pain...I swear there are Princess ghosts, still looking for it;)

I would love to sail the newer ships one day soon.

I completely agree about the dining room layout and Horizon Court layout.

RichC March 6th, 2008 09:40 AM

The newer Princess ships are nice but there packing more & more passengers into them every year. We've been on many Princess ships & the best IMHO still around is the Island P. Larger ships equate into more people without any more benefits.

shiploger March 6th, 2008 04:09 PM

RichC am glad you said that about the Island Princess because i am going on her in 4 weeks on a panama canal cruise

RichC March 6th, 2008 05:09 PM

We're doing the panama canal in Oct. rt from Ft Lauderdale. I trip thought the whole canal is real neat but since we've done twice we opted for just seeing the locks again + Coast Rica. We used to sail the Sun P here in Florida every year until they moved it to Australia & that was another great ship. It looks as though they slowly getting rid of the ships under 100K tons. Sad. :cry:

richstacy March 6th, 2008 05:25 PM

If you like nice ships under 100K try Holland America!

RichC March 6th, 2008 05:45 PM

We just might since they still have 15 Hawaii cruises.

Rev22:17 March 6th, 2008 06:23 PM

Re: Whats your favourite ship

shiploger,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You

At any given moment, my favorite ship is usually the ship aboard which I'm embarked.

That said, I think that MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, and MV Sea Princess have the best layout and amenities of the ships aboard which I have cruised. MV Tahitian Princess and the original MV Royal Princess (now operating as MV Artemis for sister line P&O Cruises) and all of Celebrity's ships also have very functional layouts. MV Coral Princess and MV Island Princess appear to be an improvement of the layout of the Sun Princess class, but I have not been on either of them.

Norm.

JJones March 6th, 2008 06:38 PM

Glad the Coral Princess seems to be a fav.. I'll be on her next week. I think the most wonderful for me was the Ocean Princess, which is now part of the Oceana line. Of course it was about a month old and immaculate; lovely, and well laid out.
Carnival Spirit is also a beautiful ship.

DeepSpace March 7th, 2008 02:05 AM

I like the Emerald Princess, she is grand a ship. I also like the Coral, we sailed on that ship the year it came out. The Dawn is very nice also.

I guess I just like cruising so much, they are all very nice.

sissym2004 March 9th, 2008 02:32 PM

Favorite Ship

I will have to say Caribbean Princess. Everything about this ship is fantastic. Great,service,good choices on food which are excellent,Capt.
Kent simply great as well as the rest of the crew. Carribbean Princess
will not be sailing out of Fl after this season unless they chnage plans.
I hope they do,she will make trips out of NYC and Puerto Rico before going North. This is one great ship or I wouldn't have ben on her 5 times.

ceresgal March 9th, 2008 08:17 PM

Since this will be the first time on a Princess Cruise in Sept 2008 - I can not rate it. I also, am partial to my First Cruise Ship which was the Celebrity Galaxy. I was just amazed at my first Cruise Ship.
I Loved them all -Carnival Spirit & Esctasy, Norwegian Star. I want to take a cruise on every Cruise Line. I am so hooked on Cruises,

shiploger March 10th, 2008 08:21 AM

I want to take a cruise on every Cruise Line. I am so hooked on Cruises, [/b]
Ceresgal dont we all :D